Mike Bowman

Police Report. How long is it good for??

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I know this has been asked a million times but I see different things here and there. I hear police reports are good for 6 months some say 1 year. I can find a definite answer to this. Please help. I'm sorry if this has been posted elsewhere. This is what I found on the Ukraine Embassy/Consulate:

Additional Info? TRANSLATIONS: Documents in English, Ukrainian or Russian do not need to be translated. When you arrive for the interview, you MUST present all the original documents accompanied by an English translation, which is produced by a certified translator, only if the document is not in English, Ukrainian or Russian. After the interview, all originals except the medical examination report will be returned to you. The consular officer has the right to request translation of any submitted document.
PASSPORTS BY COURIER: The Consular Section uses a delivery services to return passports
All documents are valid 12 months?? from the date of issuance. Better check this one out. The US Embassy told us that the local police check report was valid only for 6 months after the date of issue.
Cost of K1 visa has gone up to $350.00 payable at the consulars office in USD. USD exchange rate at embassy was 8.30 to 1 USD, best to get your $ before.

I made it big and bold so you can see. The consulate page supplied here is even confused. Our police report is 7 months old and our interview is next week so needing to find out if we need to order new ones (takes 2 days) so we have them ready for the interview. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

The US Embassy has told you what it requires. As it is the authority that will accept or deny your visa request, I would be inclined to follow THEIR instructions and not the organisation that issues the police report.

Strongly suggest you get an updated police report, unless you want an RFE and a further wait until you provide what is requested.

ROC

AR11 filed: 02/05/11

I-751 filed at Vermont Service Center: 02/07/11

NOA: 02/14/11

Biometrics appt: 03/21/11

RoC Interview: Not required

RoC Approved: 08/04/2011

10 yr Green card received: 08/10/2011

Timeline

Thanks guys...soon after I posted this I found this...apparently the instructions I have no got yet but I was able to find them through Google. Sorry for the post. I checked for 2 hours before some key words clicked in my head...its last and I've been working all night.

3. POLICE CERTIFICATES: Applicants aged 16 years and older must submit a police certificate from the
country of nationality and the country of residence at the time of visa application, if the applicant has resided there for
six months or more. (For example, an 18 year old Russian citizen residing in Ukraine must present a police certificate
both from Russia and Ukraine).
Fiancée visa applicants must present a police certificate from all countries where they resided for 6 months or more
after the age of 16, including the republics of the former USSR.
A police certificate must also be obtained from the police authorities of any place where the applicant has been
arrested for any reason, regardless of how long he or she lived there. Police certificates must cover the entire period of
the applicant's residence in any area. A certificate issued by the police authorities where the applicant now resides
must be of recent date when presented to the consular officer. The term "police certificate" as used in this paragraph
means a certification by appropriate police authorities stating what their records show concerning each applicant,
including all arrests, the reasons for the arrests, and the disposition of each case of which there is a record. In Ukraine
the certificate must be obtained in the oblast centers from the Departments of Information Technology at the
Ministry of Internal Affairs. The police certificate is valid for ONE YEAR.
All police records issued for visa applicants who have changed their names need to bear all the names applicants have
used. These include maiden names and names from previous marriages. If the name was obtained through means other
than marriage or divorce, it should be listed on the police certificate as well. Certificates issued solely under the
applicant’s current name will not be accepted.
NOTE: Police certificates from certain countries are considered unobtainable. To check the availability of police
certificates in other countries, please go to http://www.travel.state.gov . The information is located under VISAS –
FEES AND RECIPROCITY TABLES link.
I guess this sums it up! Thanks for your help!

$350, and payable at the embassy? The embassy's web site instruction form still says $240 and payable at the bank...did they simply forget to update their information?

when u will get ur interview letter, u will see there u will pay $240, so dont worry n be relax, it was same tension for me as well...

event.png

event.png

192230.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

The information you listed in your post is obviously outdated. The visa processing fee went down from $350 to $240 in April 2012. Glad you found your answer and that your police certificate is good to go still.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

Sweet you guys answered my next question then because I was wondering what the $350 was for. I paid the $240 through the bank so I should be good to go. I was thinking..."Another $350?" I'll have to update the website myself because it's definitely outdated. Thanks for the heads up!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.