wife

Another I-864 question!

10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Armenia
Timeline

I need help figuring out how to put our joint sponsor's income on the I-864... So, she is both employed AND self-employed. First of all, I just realized she didn't give me a copy of her W-2s. We need that, right?

But also, she has a letter stating how much she makes as a self-employed artist. That income is not taxed, so it's not included on her tax return. So, on the I-864, when it asks for her total household income, should we put what it says on her tax return, or should we add on her self-employment income too?

I'm so confused, and we've wasted so much time already trying to get someone to do this and to get all her papers together...... now it seems like we're not even close! Please, somebody help!

thank you,

wife

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I need help figuring out how to put our joint sponsor's income on the I-864... So, she is both employed AND self-employed. First of all, I just realized she didn't give me a copy of her W-2s. We need that, right?

But also, she has a letter stating how much she makes as a self-employed artist. That income is not taxed, so it's not included on her tax return. So, on the I-864, when it asks for her total household income, should we put what it says on her tax return, or should we add on her self-employment income too?

I'm so confused, and we've wasted so much time already trying to get someone to do this and to get all her papers together...... now it seems like we're not even close! Please, somebody help!

thank you,

wife

Why is her self-employment income not taxed...... I suppose that is an question that you cannot answer.

YMMV

Filed: Timeline

wife,

I think you might want to let the woman fill out her own I-864, reporting what she wants to report and not reporting what she doesn't want to report. I don't expect that it's USCIS policy to report possible income tax evasion to the IRS, but an individual USCIS employee could conceivably decide to do it on their own.

Yodrak

wife

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Armenia
Timeline
wife,

I think you might want to let the woman fill out her own I-864, reporting what she wants to report and not reporting what she doesn't want to report. I don't expect that it's USCIS policy to report possible income tax evasion to the IRS, but an individual USCIS employee could conceivably decide to do it on their own.

Yodrak

wife

Ok, sounds like I don't even want to get into this... but I think she is not qualified to be our sponsor anyway, because she hasn't been over 125% poverty for the last three years, she was a student... Am I right?

Thank you so much....

wife

Filed: Timeline

wife,

If she has the required income now, and the income can be shown to be sustainable, she should qualify.

Yodrak

Ok, sounds like I don't even want to get into this... but I think she is not qualified to be our sponsor anyway, because she hasn't been over 125% poverty for the last three years, she was a student... Am I right?

Thank you so much....

wife

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Perhaps she meant that she was making less than taxable income for the prior years as self employed (e.g. Standard deduction plus personal exemption) - if your total income is less than (or equal to) that, you do not have taxable income. So if she is making more than that now (more than the poverty line plus enough to support you guys) then she can be the co-sponsor. Let her fill out the I864 (she will need to sign it in front of a notary at the end.) Good Luck

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

Hope it all works out for you!

2001 Met

2005 Married

I-485/I-130

12/06/2006-------Mailed I-130/1-485

12/16/2006--------Recieved NOA 1 (I-130 & I-485)

12/18/2006--------Touched I-130/I-485

01/20/2007--------Biometrics

05/10/2007 -- Interview, Approved!

05/22/2007 GREEN CARD arrives!!!

02/2009 - File to lift conditions

I-765

12/14/2006--- Mailed EAD App.

01/20/2007--- Biometrics

02/09/2005-------Sent in request to Congressional office for assistance with expediting EAD.

02/13/2007 -------- EAD Approved!

02/26/2007 - ------EAD received

Removal of Conditions:

05/12/2009 -- Overnighted application by USPS express mail (VSC).

05/14/2009 -- Green Card expired.

05/23/2009 --- Check cleared bank.

05/26/2009 -- Received NOA (NOA date May 15, 2009, guess they aren't deporting me).

05/29/2009- Biometrics Notice date

06/01/2009- Received Biometrics Letter

06/18/2009 - Biometrics

09/23/2009 - date of decision to approve (letter received), just waiting for card. No online updates whatsoever.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.