ogopogo

Criminal Record & Fingerprints in Canada

33 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I learned the hard way yesterday that fingerprints are a necessary part of your record check.

There are two ways of accomplishing this task:

1. Go to your local RCMP detachment and ask for a criminal record check that INCLUDES finger printing. (Most administrative staff in police stations are ignorant to the requirements of a K1 Visa.)

If they have to take your prints with ink and mail them in, your wait will be approximately 20 weeks. If your local RCMP detachment has graduated from the dark ages, they will be able to take your prints with a digital machine and your wait will be ~7-10 business days.

**If you have a dark ages detachment and can't wait 20 weeks, read on!

2. Google 'Commissionaires' and find the closest location to you. (Mine was a 2 hour drive.) Call them to set up an appointment. (They were able to fit me in the next day.) Show up on time with 2 pieces of picture ID.

The entire finger printing process took 20 minutes, cost $80 and the staff were pleasant!

Good luck everyone!

Timeline

Thanks for this!! :) I didn't know about the fingerprint requirement!

May 29, 2013 - Finally!!! I-129F and associated forms delivered!

June 3, 2013 - NOA1!

August 19, 2013 - NOA2! (email)

October 10, 2013 - NVC has our case, Vancouver number assigned

***Communications with Vancouver begging to put my case on hold a while due to house not selling!!!***

February 18, 2014 - Packet 3 Submitted

February 20, 2014 - Packet 4!!

May 5, 2014 - Medical

May 7, 2014 - Consulate Interview

May 13, 2014 - K1 visa in hand!!!

July 2, 2014 - POE (Sweetgrass)<p>

July 23, 2014 - apply for EI (mother of god that was confusing...)<p>

August 11, 2014 - finally get hitched!

September 16, 2014 - send off AOS/AP/EAD

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

For real?

How did you find this out? Interview?

12.27.10 We met in Vegas

05.31.12 Engaged... in Vegas =)

K1
03.02.13 I-129F sent to TX
03.07.13 NOA1 E-mail Notification

08.13.13 NOA2 E-mail Notification (6+ months)

08.29.13 Case arrives at MTL Consulate

09.13.13 Packet 3 arrives

09.17.13 Packet 3 is accetped at MTL (confirmed via Xpresspost tracking)

09.26.13 Packet 4 arrives

10.22.13 Medical

11.07.13 Interview (Approved!)

11.20.13 VISA/PASSPORT IN HAND!!! (Couriered)

12.26.13 P.O.E. Detroit, MI.

12.31.13 ***WEDDING***

AOS

02.25.14 NOA1 for AOS, EAD & AP

03.xx.14 RFE (mid-March)

03.21.14 Biometrics

04.21.14 RFE docs received & AOS case touched

05.22.14 EAD/AP approved

05.31.14 EAD/AP received

06.09.14 Notice of Potential Interview Waiver Case (projected additional wait of 6 months)

07.30.14 Notice that my Permanent Resident status has been registered!!!

08.05.14 Card/Document Production

08.07.14 GREEN CARD IN HAND =)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Just to clarify - I was under the impression that you only needed to submit a full-fingerprint version IF you were convicted of a crime in Canada. If you have not and a police record check comes up clean, no fingerprinting was necessary.

What are the circumstances in which they requested the finger prints? TIA!

12.27.10 We met in Vegas

05.31.12 Engaged... in Vegas =)

K1
03.02.13 I-129F sent to TX
03.07.13 NOA1 E-mail Notification

08.13.13 NOA2 E-mail Notification (6+ months)

08.29.13 Case arrives at MTL Consulate

09.13.13 Packet 3 arrives

09.17.13 Packet 3 is accetped at MTL (confirmed via Xpresspost tracking)

09.26.13 Packet 4 arrives

10.22.13 Medical

11.07.13 Interview (Approved!)

11.20.13 VISA/PASSPORT IN HAND!!! (Couriered)

12.26.13 P.O.E. Detroit, MI.

12.31.13 ***WEDDING***

AOS

02.25.14 NOA1 for AOS, EAD & AP

03.xx.14 RFE (mid-March)

03.21.14 Biometrics

04.21.14 RFE docs received & AOS case touched

05.22.14 EAD/AP approved

05.31.14 EAD/AP received

06.09.14 Notice of Potential Interview Waiver Case (projected additional wait of 6 months)

07.30.14 Notice that my Permanent Resident status has been registered!!!

08.05.14 Card/Document Production

08.07.14 GREEN CARD IN HAND =)

• 3 months later...
Timeline

Hey! How did you figure out you could do this instead of going to your local RCMP? Mine is still in the "dark ages" as you call it but my interview is in 5 weeks. When I read the process for the police certificate was going to take 22 weeks I balled my eyes out.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

~ Moved from K-1 Process to Canada regional forum - topic specific to those in Canada ~

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Fingerprints are you necessary if youve ever been arrested which includes being in the drunk tank.

Hey! How did you figure out you could do this instead of going to your local RCMP? Mine is still in the "dark ages" as you call it but my interview is in 5 weeks. When I read the process for the police certificate was going to take 22 weeks I balled my eyes out.

What? Crazy! Try the commissionaires instead!

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

We had ours that day, waited maybe 15 minutes. I think she just went to the local police station. No finger prints were required as she had no criminal record.

2011-05-21: Matched on eharmony (clearly not in my 60 mile radius preference!)

2011-07-30: Met in Ottawa

2011-08-28: Day I knew I wanted to spend my life with her

2012-01-21: I proposed, outside in the freezing cold!

2012-02-06: Mailed out K-1 via FedEX

2012-02-10: NOA1

2012-08-01: NOA2

2012-08-17: Packet 3 received (email)

2012-09-10: Packet 3 sent

2012-09-12: Packet 4 received (email) with request for 2 photos

2012-10-29: Medical in Toronto

2012-11-06: Interview - Approved!

2013-04-05: POE Thousand Islands

2013-04-20: Wedding

Timeline

hey thanks! I just talked to my local police station. They said it would only take a week. So i don't know what this 20 weeks thing is about? And you're sure i dont need fingerprints if I have no criminal past?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

NO criminal record = no fingerprinting.....your residing in canada,simple as that

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Fingerprints are you necessary if youve ever been arrested which includes being in the drunk tank.

What? Crazy! Try the commissionaires instead!

Not needed if you have past arrests, only past convictions.

Not needed if you have past arrests, only past convictions.

lol thanks for the correction. Ive never been arrested and only have 2 speeding tickets ever...

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

There's no need for prints without a rap sheet. I actually just went and ordered a second certificate because my first will expire a month before my interview. First certificate had no prints and was fine till now. Second will have prints, was told I should have it in a week and a half.

Went through commissionaires, took 15 minutes.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.