Karee

AT&T sued for refusing to carry Al Jazeera network

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Bloomberg News

Published: 20 August 2013 08:47 PM

Updated: 20 August 2013 08:47 PM

AT&T Inc. has been sued by Al Jazeera for refusing to carry the Qatar-based broadcaster’s new U.S. cable-news channel as part of its pay-television service.

The Dallas-based company is violating an agreement with Al Jazeera’s U.S. unit by refusing to broadcast the channel, which began airing in the U.S. today, according to a filing in Delaware Chancery Court.

The network, controlled by the Qatari royal family, paid $500 million for Al Gore’s money-losing Current TV in January and rebranded it.

AT&T’s U-verse pay-TV service said Monday that it wouldn’t carry Al Jazeera America because of a contract dispute. U-verse began in 2006 and has 5 million video customers in states, including Texas and California.

AT&T officials’ decision amounts to a “wrongful termination of an affiliation agreement,” Al Jazeera said in the filing, which accompanied a sealed complaint. Details on the case came from a cover sheet that contained a brief description of the network’s claims.

Mark Siegel, an AT&T spokesman, told Bloomberg News on Tuesday that business disagreements prompted the decision to cancel the channel.

“We dropped the Current TV channel, and will not carry Al Jazeera America, on U-verse due to contract disputes,” Siegel said in an e-mailed statement. “We could not reach an agreement with the owner that we believed provided value for our customers and our business.”

Buying Current TV gave Al Jazeera America access to about 43 million homes nationwide, less than half of all pay-TV homes. The Qatari company also has deals with Comcast Corp., DirecTV and Dish Network Corp. for BeIN Sport, a group of channels it owns in France, the U.S. and Canada that have rights to European soccer leagues.

U-verse is the second TV provider to drop Al Jazeera’s channel since it acquired Current TV. Time Warner Cable, which has 12 million customers, dropped the channel from its lineup in January.

Officials of Time Warner, the second-largest U.S. cable company, are still negotiating with Al Jazeera America on a deal to carry the network, said spokeswoman Maureen Huff, who declined to comment on the AT&T lawsuit.

To boost its appeal, Al Jazeera has brought on CNN personalities such as Soledad O’Brien, Ali Velshi and Emmy Award-winner Michael Okwu. Programs include Real Money with Velshi and current affairs program Consider This with former ABC News correspondent Antonio Mora.

The channel’s domestic U.S. news will be complemented by reports from more than 400 international correspondents — many stationed in countries where few Western reporters venture.

The channel, which has hired about 700 staffers for a dozen U.S. bureaus including Nashville, New Orleans and Detroit, still must appeal to an American audience that remembers Al Jazeera as the forum for Osama bin Laden’s video messages after the terrorist attacks on the U.S. on Sept. 11, 2001.

Ex-President George W. Bush considered the network sympathetic to terrorists, and the U.S. government was angered when Al Jazeera broadcast images of civilian casualties during a 2003 battle in the Iraqi City of Fallujah. That same year, the U.S. military mistakenly bombed Al Jazeera’s Baghdad office, killing some of its journalists.

Source:

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/local-news/20130820-att-sued-for-refusing-to-carry-al-jazeera-network.ece

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Timeline

I have Verizon FiOS and I switched to where Current TV is listed, and sure enough Al Jazeera is there. I'll have to see if the are actually a news channel, and not some propaganda channel to get Americans to join the jihad.

Stay tuned.

I have Verizon FiOS and I switched to where Current TV is listed, and sure enough Al Jazeera is there. I'll have to see if the are actually a news channel, and not some propaganda channel to get Americans to join the jihad.

Stay tuned.

I have been watching Property Virgins on HGTV tonight..They have had a commercial for ALJZ every break

Timeline

I have been watching Property Virgins on HGTV tonight..They have had a commercial for ALJZ every break

I'm afraid to ask what a property virgin is.

I'm afraid to ask what a property virgin is.

first time home buyers.. Good show. They look at different homes with the agent, then pick one

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

first time home buyers.. Good show. They look at different homes with the agent, then pick one

We started watching tonight but we had already seen. BTW, you're just watching because its all Atlanta. Well lately it is. There were some in NY weren't there?

BTW Karee, FINALLY. A muslim-ish thread. eb0dfafc.gif

Edited by GandD

Timeline

We started watching tonight but we had already seen. BTW, you're just watching because its all Atlanta. Well lately it is. There were some in NY weren't there?

I watched it for about 20 minutes. Surprisingly, I didn't feel the need to blow myself up in a shopping mall or hijack an airplane. I guess I need to watch it more to get the full effect.

They did have some good stories though.

I love those looking at property shows , House Hunters

I also love to shop at Bed Bath and beyond...I catch flak about that one from my buds.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I love those looking at property shows , House Hunters

I also love to shop at Bed Bath and beyond...I catch flak about that one from my buds.

Yeah I like them too. We're in the process of getting a bed bath an beyond. I'm def gonna check it out when open

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Interesting, but neither Mrs. T-B. nor I care for BB&Beyond. I've never found anything there that I really wanted to buy. Even with the 20% coupons that they periodically mail out, I've found that better products can be found more cheaply elsewhere. Mrs. T-B. and I concur, without discussion, that BB&B is a store to ignore.

Interesting, too, how this thread has deviated from its original topic!

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Interesting, but neither Mrs. T-B. nor I care for BB&Beyond. I've never found anything there that I really wanted to buy. Even with the 20% coupons that they periodically mail out, I've found that better products can be found more cheaply elsewhere. Mrs. T-B. and I concur, without discussion, that BB&B is a store to ignore.

Interesting, too, how this thread has deviated from its original topic!

If more interesting is people acting surprised when threads drift..

They all do. Noone cares but Lincolns

mullet ad a mod or two

Timeline

Drift, man.

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

DRIFTING, DRIFTING....

Wife and I shop very often at BB&B. Much cheaper than Amazon...up to 25% with their discount coupons

Brick-and-mortar retail stores are becoming cheaper than Amazon!

At least one store, that is. Prices at Bed Bath & Beyond (BBBY) were on average 6.5% less than at Amazon for a basket of 30 items chosen by analysts at BB&T (BBT) for one of their periodic pricing studies comparing the retailers.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/problem-for-bezos--mall-becoming-cheaper-than-amazon-160737573.html

Timeline

Interesting! Well, Mrs. T-B. & I shop around eclectically, including finding great stuff on Craigslist and in the resale shops. Garage sales are quite hit-or-miss, but there's potential there, too. I can't remember when we last paid full or nearly full retail for something.