22 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

Hi,

I have a question. I got married in May while I was on an F1 visa. I am still on an F1 visa, and I have only been working this last semester. I have already applied for the Adjustment of Status, work permit and travel permit, and I have already had my biometrics taken. My question is: If I don't renew my I-20 now is there any risk that I will be refused the adjustment of status or the work/travel permit?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

~ Moved from AOS from Family Based to AOS from Work, Student & Tourist Visas- the appropriate forum to get the best answers ~

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Timeline

Hi,

I have a question. I got married in May while I was on an F1 visa. I am still on an F1 visa, and I have only been working this last semester. I have already applied for the Adjustment of Status, work permit and travel permit, and I have already had my biometrics taken. My question is: If I don't renew my I-20 now is there any risk that I will be refused the adjustment of status or the work/travel permit?

No, expiration of the I-20 won't prevent you from adjusting status. But how are you working legally? If the I-20 is allowing you to work, and it expires, you won't be able to keep working until you get the EAD or Green Card.

A renewal will not effect the AOS. Not sure you can renew, though.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

Oh ok...I am just worried because this international office was not at all student-friendly, and I was afraid they could ruin everything. I haven't done anything illegal, I was just worried this might make me look like it though.

Timeline

I just thought that if they make my I-20 look like I was back in Italy, at the background check it would have looked like I was doing something sketchy. Am I worrying too much? I have just read of people being denied for silly reasons, and I don't want to have to wait even longer.

I am not sure I am following this. Your I-20 is expired, and your school wants to renew it by making it appear as if you left the country and came back? Why do they want to do that? Your I-94 says D/S and you are still in school, right?

You don't need to renew your I-20 anymore because you are adjusting status. You could drop out of school and it doesn't matter.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Timeline

I am not sure I am following this. Your I-20 is expired, and your school wants to renew it by making it appear as if you left the country and came back? Why do they want to do that? Your I-94 says D/S and you are still in school, right?

You don't need to renew your I-20 anymore because you are adjusting status. You could drop out of school and it doesn't matter.

No, I am not going to attend the College anymore. I got married and applied for an AoS while on the student visa, with everything being 100% legal. I am still a student with a valid I-20, but I am leaving the college while I wait for the AoS. Since I won't be attending this next semester they want to make my I-20 look like I am going back home, so that they won't take responsibility if something goes wrong. Does it make sense? It's a weird situation...

Oh, ignore them. Your actions aren't their responsibility.

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Timeline

They also want me to write a letter saying that I was actually going to attend fall semester, but then I decided to go home. They told me to do it or the authorities might give them trouble.

OT: Never go to mormon colleges. The WORSE colleges/universities EVER. Always trying to brainwash you.

Oh, holy ... Mormon...

BYU? Are you Mormon? Why would you go there?

I still vote for ignoring them.

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Timeline

Oh, holy ####... Mormon...

BYU? Are you Mormon? Why would you go there?

I still vote for ignoring them.

Well, let's just say that my family is mormon and I thought it'd be convenient. It seems like they are getting mad at me for leaving the college, almost as if they're losing a member of their church. This whole experience made me become an atheist though. That's how sneaky and lame mormons are.

Thank you for all your responses, I feel a lot better now!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.