Cam54

After get married, name change

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

This may seem silly but how do you change your name after you marry and how does it work for your adjustment of status forms, I assume you use your old name.

Another question, when you get your green card are you able then to get a US passport?

Also when you apply for citizenship how do you have dual citizenship? I know I'm thinking far ahead now but I've been pondering these things and thought I might as well ask

Submitted k1 visa petition - January 20th,2013NOA1 - February 2nd 2013NOA2 - June 20th 2013Medical - August 14th 2013<p>Interview - October 4th
Moved to California January 8th smile.png

If you want to use your married name, then you use your married name. You just start using it. You fill out AOS in the new name. Your marriage cert is proof enough for a name change.

No, a Greencard and a US passport are very different things. A Greencard holder is a Permanent resident, and a passport holder is a US Citizen. It's important that you understand you will not be a US Citizen for some time, because if you ever say you are a USC when you are not, or try to do something only reserved for USCs (like voting), you will be banned for life with no chance at a waiver.

The UK allows dual citizenship so you just maintain two passports. If you become a US Citizen in a few years, then to the US you will be a US Citizen only and must enter on a US passport, but they don't care what other passports you have and what passports you use outside the US.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

I know a green card and us passport are different I just thought I'd be allowed a us passport when getting my green card. So I travel in and out of the US with my British passport and green card ?

Submitted k1 visa petition - January 20th,2013NOA1 - February 2nd 2013NOA2 - June 20th 2013Medical - August 14th 2013<p>Interview - October 4th

Yes. At US Customs, you can go through the resident/citizen line, though (the sign outside the queue will indicate this). So you at least won't have to wait in the visitor queue!

K1 Visa Process AOS Process

Mar 18 2013: I-129F mailed to CSC Nov 15 2013: I-485 with EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox

Sept 19 2013: Interview - Approved!! Jan 25 2014: EAD/AP Card Received

Oct 6 2013: POE - Chicago O'Hare June 2 2014: Permanent Resident Card Received!

Oct 27 2013: Wedding!

You will be not allowed a US passport when you get a Greencard because you will not be a US Citizen at that time. When you get a Greencard you will be a permanent resident. It's really important you understand this...

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Timeline

I do understand the difference don't worry, just thought I'd be allowed a us passport but now I understand I have to wait until I am a citizen

As I understand it UK has "Indefinite Leave to Remain" which is similar to permanent residency.

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Have my Medical tomorrow any info from you guys for me please? tried to find a discussion on this here but im a newbie and dont know how to find . many thanks.

Have my Medical tomorrow any info from you guys for me please? tried to find a discussion on this here but im a newbie and dont know how to find . many thanks.

There is a lot of discussion in the UK forum.

Jump in this thread which starts you with a month ago http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/8321-london-medical-knightsbridge-doctors/?p=6386882

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.