CanadianTeacher

Canadian marrying an American

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey guys I have been looking on-line all weekend and I am still confused.

I am a Canadian citizen and my American fiance has just received a job in Nevada. Because of this we have decided to move up the marriage to this week, and just get eloped in Vegas on the drive there. I have also started to interview for positions there and seem confident I will get hired on as at least a supply teacher.

My question is what is my best chance of being able to get a green card that would allow me to work in the USA as soon as possible. I drove across the border here and not on a K-1 or anything because our initial plan was to head to teach in Egypt.

Thank you for any help possible

You can do this http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2

You won't be able to work for 3 months or so.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

***Moved to what visa do I need from working and travelling during immigration***

I agree, just do the adjustment of status. If you file it as soon as you're married, then you will have to wait approx 90 days for the EAD (employment authorization) to go grab an SSN (similar to Canadian SIN) and you can start looking for a job then. You're not able to work without the EAD and SSN.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hey guys I have been looking on-line all weekend and I am still confused.

I am a Canadian citizen and my American fiance has just received a job in Nevada. Because of this we have decided to move up the marriage to this week, and just get eloped in Vegas on the drive there. I have also started to interview for positions there and seem confident I will get hired on as at least a supply teacher.

My question is what is my best chance of being able to get a green card that would allow me to work in the USA as soon as possible. I drove across the border here and not on a K-1 or anything because our initial plan was to head to teach in Egypt.

Thank you for any help possible

Since you did not have the intent to immigrate when you entered, then you should be okay to adjust status upon getting married to a USC.

Once you file to adjust, it will take 2-3 months for you to get the EAD/AP card. You need the EAD to legally work in the US (no exceptions). Any employment prior to getting your EAD is illegal work. Also, if you leave the US before getting AP, then the case is considered abandoned and you will not be allowed back without a spousal visa (which takes 6-12 months).

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks for all of the help!!

I was just wondering when I put my address, do I put the address that I will be living at with my now wife here in the U.S or my Canadian address?

Also just want to check that I have all of the forms I need:

2* g-325a 1 filled out by my American wife and 1 filled out by me (biographic information)

2* g-1145 To allow things done electronically

i-130 filled out by my american wife (petition for alien relative)

i-131 filled out by myself to leave the US during the process ( application for travel document) * does this get filled out and sent with my original application?

i-485 filled out by me to get permanent residence (adjustment to status)

i-693 Report of medical examination and vaccination * does this get filled out and sent with my original application?

i-694 Appeal document * I saw somewhere that my wife should send one of these in, but after reading it, it does not make sense.

i-765 so I can work earlier (employment authorization)

i-765ws explain why I need to work

i-864 filled out by my wife saying she will support me ( affidavit of support)

Holy ####### that is a lot but I think I have them all and this should allow me to work within 2-4 months?

I have read in a couple places that for anything to do with A-number and I-94 number I should just put "None/ Canadian" since I just drove across the border and was never issued either.

Thank you all for all of the help! It is very much appreciated!!

p.s. do you suggest to get a lawyer to help with it, or is it possible to get it done right the first time without a lawyer...

You can do it without the lawyer. If you have questions feel free to ask on the AOS board! http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/130-adjustment-of-status-from-work-student-tourist-visas/ There is also the Canada forum: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/93-canada/

I'm sorry I can't help more, I don't know much about adjusting status as we did the CR1 route.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Thanks for all of the help!!

I was just wondering when I put my address, do I put the address that I will be living at with my now wife here in the U.S or my Canadian address?

Also just want to check that I have all of the forms I need:

2* g-325a 1 filled out by my American wife and 1 filled out by me (biographic information)

2* g-1145 To allow things done electronically

i-130 filled out by my american wife (petition for alien relative)

i-131 filled out by myself to leave the US during the process ( application for travel document) * does this get filled out and sent with my original application?

i-485 filled out by me to get permanent residence (adjustment to status)

i-693 Report of medical examination and vaccination * does this get filled out and sent with my original application?

i-694 Appeal document * I saw somewhere that my wife should send one of these in, but after reading it, it does not make sense.

i-765 so I can work earlier (employment authorization)

i-765ws explain why I need to work

i-864 filled out by my wife saying she will support me ( affidavit of support)

Holy ####### that is a lot but I think I have them all and this should allow me to work within 2-4 months?

I have read in a couple places that for anything to do with A-number and I-94 number I should just put "None/ Canadian" since I just drove across the border and was never issued either.

Thank you all for all of the help! It is very much appreciated!!

p.s. do you suggest to get a lawyer to help with it, or is it possible to get it done right the first time without a lawyer...

You have a lot of mistakes in there. I would make a post on the AOS-tourist, work, student visa form for more answers and corrections. Have you found the VJ guide?

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.