I AM NOT THAT GUY

Study: Half who now buy own health plan to get aid

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

WASHINGTON (AP) About half the people who now buy their own health insurance and potentially would face higher premiums next year under President Barack Obama's health care law would qualify for federal tax credits to offset rate shock, according to a new private study.

Many other people, however, earn too much money to be eligible for help, and could end up paying more.

The estimate, released Wednesday by the nonpartisan Kaiser Family Foundation, tries to answer one of the biggest remaining questions about the impact of Obama's law on American families: Will consumers wince or even balk when they see the premiums for the new plans?

The study found that 48 percent of families currently buying their own coverage would be eligible for tax credits next year, averaging $5,548 per family, or 66 percent of the average cost of a benchmark "silver" policy offered through new state insurance markets.

"About half of the people won't be paying the sticker price," said Gary Claxton, director of the health care marketplace project at Kaiser, an information clearinghouse on the health care system. "The people who get help will get quite a lot of help."

"Many, but certainly not all, of the people who don't get tax credits will pay more," he said. "How much more will be a function of a lot of different things."

For example, some people who don't qualify for tax credits may get jobs that offer coverage, added Claxton, a co-author of the study. And the bottom line on premiums may not be clear until sometime this fall, after the Health and Human Services Department releases rates for more than 30 states where the federal government is taking the lead setting up new insurance markets for individuals and small businesses.

People can enroll starting Oct. 1, and coverage becomes effective Jan. 1. Most people currently covered by employer plans are not affected.

So far, premiums reported by a number of individual states have been coming in lower than initially projected by the Congressional Budget Office. But they are higher according to industry and consultants than what people now typically pay for individual plans, which tend to be bare-bones coverage.

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-politics/20130814/US--Health.Care-Rate.Shock/

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

WASHINGTON (AP) About half the people who now buy their own health insurance and potentially would face higher premiums next year under President Barack Obama's health care law would qualify for federal tax credits to offset rate shock, according to a new private study.

Now, there is a shocker!! We all know how health insurance premiums have been in a steady steep decline for years now... I am sure many believed they would keep on plummeting!

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I thought one of the benefits of Obamacare is that is was supposed to bring down premiums.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

I thought one of the benefits of Obamacare is that is was supposed to bring down premiums.

It did but not for everyone. Many were issue refunds by the health insurance companies as a result of provisions of Obamacare enacted in the past couple of years.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I say nothing is 'over' or even 'set in stone' till the IRS has their new deductions in place. Sure, that could go as late as 15 january 2014, before it's all set.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Erie - stop giving me that false hope !!!!

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Why did my insurance premiums go up so many times before Obama? Like, every one to two years? At least now I may qualify to be subsidized. Yeah, suck it tax payers!