14 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi folks,

Has anyone yet filed for their spouses since DOMA was rescinded in June?

We filed our paperwork for adjustment, permission to work, permission to travel, etc.... On July 10th, had the biometrics appointment on August 9th and feel hopeful that things will continue moving along.

We are wondering about current time frames until the interview with Immigration.

We are still in awe that we are actually able to DO this!

Are you adjusting status or filing for a spouse living abroad? I just want to get the topic moved to the right forum. :)

BTW, it's awesome and long past time you should be able to do this!

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Adjusting status. We are both here. She has been on paid sabbatical through August so DOMA coming through was opportune. We were looking at continued long distance though we were married in Mexico City last August. Ironic that gay marriage is federally recognized when married in a state that recognizes it in Mexico but it took an act of SCOTUS to make it so here.

So glad though!

***moved to AOS from work, student, or tourist visa from IR1/CR1 progress reports***

Hopefully you can get all the answers you need in this forum!

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

There are a few people on here in the same situation, and many more doing other immigration processes. I haven't seen anyone get approved yet though, but it hasn't been too long. The EAD/AP will be approved in 90 days from when you filed, and the interview will come some time after that. Good luck.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

We actually just sent our package not long ago! I'm from Mexico city and he's a US citizen, I will definitely keep you updated if you want! Glad to know we are not the only ones doing this after DOMA! :)

Filed: Timeline

Hi folks,

Has anyone yet filed for their spouses since DOMA was rescinded in June?

We filed our paperwork for adjustment, permission to work, permission to travel, etc.... On July 10th, had the biometrics appointment on August 9th and feel hopeful that things will continue moving along.

We are wondering about current time frames until the interview with Immigration.

We are still in awe that we are actually able to DO this!

There have been many people who applied right after DOMA was held unconstitutional. Unfortunately, there's no expedited processing for people who were waiting for that to happen. Your application is in the same queue as everyone else's. It might be helpful to review adjustment of status timelines and progress reports to compare your case with others (note, not IR-1/CR-1, which is the visa for people who are coming from abroad). If you have already done biometrics, you should be receiving the combined advance parole/employment authorization card soon.

Timeline

Yes we are watching the timelines.

Also how do I remove "Advanced Parole"? I am not even sure what

That means much less how it came to be on our

Timeline.

Advance Parole is the temporary travel permission that can be obtained by filing I-131 with a I-485.

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Timeline

Ah, so we did file for this. I was thinking parole as in something to do with the criminal system. Weird.

We actually just sent our package not long ago! I'm from Mexico city and he's a US citizen, I will definitely keep you updated if you want! Glad to know we are not the only ones doing this after DOMA! :)

Filed: Timeline

Ah, so we did file for this. I was thinking parole as in something to do with the criminal system. Weird.

Advance parole is similar. It means, if you leave the country we will let you come back, although without any formal status until adjustment is complete. That is, we will "parole" you back into the country. Similar to when a prisoner is allowed out of prison on "parole".

Timeline

We just got notice of our interview for September. The interview is just over two months after we sent our packet in. Seems like it is all happening pretty fast!

We just got notice of our interview for September. The interview is just over two months after we sent our packet in. Seems like it is all happening pretty fast!

Very fast! Good luck!

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.