5 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hey guys,

My hubby and I have been together for 7 1/2 years and married for a 1 1/2 year and we are preparing to file our Petition in a few weeks. However I have a I few questions about the I-130 Petition.

Since getting married over a year ago I still haven't changed my name on my Passport over to my married name yet because if I changed my Passport I would to also change my valid 10 year visa. When I contacted the embassy in Jamaica they said I would have to be interviewed again to have my Visa changed over and we thought it was a waste of time and money to do that since I will soon no longer be using the Visa. So therefore my passport and Visa is still in my maiden name.

My question is on the I-130 Petition when they ask for my name do I put my married name in the Name (Family Name in Caps) section and then my maiden name in the Other Names Used Section. Or do I just put my maiden name in the Name Section. Also what do I put on the G-325A Form. ( I know these questions may be a bit silly but I am just try to ensure that we make no mistakes on the Forms).

Also I have another quick question about apply for Citizenship. My hubby will be able to apply April 2014. Will he also be needing his Jamaican birth certificate when applying or just his American documents. (Just trying to figure out if I need to get copies to send to him).

Thanks so much for your help

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello Patra! =)

My hubby applied our petition with me using my maiden name on all the forms.

I haven't updated any of my id's or passport yet because the law does not require to use the married name.

I think it will not be an issue to use your maiden name.

As long as all the documents match..

I am planning to update my id's and passport though..

But I don't know yet what will be the impact on our petition. I have yet to research on this.. =)

But I think it will be ok as long as you keep all docs and evidences of the change of name..

Hope this helps.. =)

2013-04-12 : My Priority Date (NOA1)

2013-08-03 : USCIS Status - At this time USCIS cannot provide you with information for your case // 2013-08-07 : USCIS Status - Request for Evidence // 2013-08-09 : Hubby received the RFE letter // 2013-08-12 : Mailed the response to the RFE // 2013-08-14 : USCIS Status - Request for Evidence Response Review

2013-09-03 : USCIS Status - APPROVED (NOA2)

2013-09-06 : Hubby received NOA2 hardcopy // 2013-10-15 : Case number & IIN assigned by NVC; Received AOS fee invoice // 2013-10-17 : Submitted DS-261; Paid AOS fee // 2013-10-28 : Sent AOS package // 2013-10-29 : Received IV fee invoice; Paid IV fee // 2013-10-30 : AOS package delivered // 2013-10-31 : Sent IV package2013-11-02 ; Submitted DS-260 // 2013-11-30 : Received AOS checklist // 2014-01-06 : NVC received response to checklist

2014-01-24 : Case Completed! ^___^

2014-01-31 : Received Case Completion e-mail // 2014-02-28 : Received Interview Letter // 2014-04-22 : Original Interview sched (cancelled due to sputum exam) // 2014-05-14 : Medical done!

2014-05-19 : Interview at last! (walk-in as advised by USEM due to June retro)

2014-05-22 : VISA ON HAND

2014-06-11 : CFO's PDOS done!

2014-06-22 : POE!! :D

"Good things come to those who wait..."

Timeline

I did not change my passport for the same reason you have. For the I-130 I used my married name. The immigrant visa was issued in my maiden name because that is what was in the passport.

If you want the visa in your married name you can apply for a new passport a couple weeks before you go for your interview and take it with you. You will still have to take all your previous passports with you to that interview.

Petitioner LPR upgraded to USC June 22, 2012
August 22, 2012: case complete
October 18, 2012: Interview (APPROVED)
October 26, 2012: Picked up visa from DHL (delay caused by Sandy)
December 15, 2012: POE Atlanta....................became USC July 2016!!!!

Mothers' Journey (My sister is the petitioner)

September 10, 2013: Sent I-130 (UPS next day service)

September 12, 2013: Received text to confirm delivery

September 16, 2013: Received NOA 1

March 22, 2014: Received NOA 2

April 8, 2014: File Received by NVC

May 26, 2015: Interview (approved)..........now LPR (delays caused by 2 RFE)

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hey marione05,

Thanks so much for responding, I really appreciate it. I think I will definitely just apply using my maiden name since all my documents are still in my maiden name.

Hi Velrich,

Thanks so much for responding. I really appreciate it. I think you must be reading my mind because as I thought about it last night, I decided that I was going to do exactly what you are suggesting just apply in my maiden and change my passport right before my interview.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.