cjmc

Filipino Drivers License ok for Washington State ???

74 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am trying to find out if my fiancee can legally use her Filipino Drivers License in Washington State and for how long before needing to get the official WA State Lic.

cjmc

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

She has 30 days to obtain a WA license.

http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/moving.html

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

She has 30 days to obtain a WA license.

http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/moving.html

Hi Ryan- I have read that page before, but it also states that you have to establish residency and have a SSN....to apply. She cannot establish residency until we are married.

My question is can she legally drive with a Filipino Drivers License and for how long...she cannot even apply until she has established residency and that could happen as late as 90 days from when she arrived using the K1 Visa.

cjmc

Timeline

From the WA State Website it says the following:

If you’re from another country-

• If you’re visiting Washington State, you may use your out-of-country driver license for up to 1 year.

I guess that until she is actually married to me, she would be considered a visitor because she cannot legally stay in the US past 90 days until she is married to me.

Once we are married, that establishes residency and also then the requirement to get a WA State drivers Lic within 30 days.....

That's how I am reading this but just wanted to see if anyone else has been down this road.

Thanks,

cjmc

Edited by cjmc

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Establishing residency is filing AOS.

If residency was as simple as getting married - there are 20 million illegals that want to know that trick.

In Arizona, DMV required my wife have her EAD or green card, and the expiration on her license is the same date as on her green card.

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

She does not have to be married to you in order to be considered a resident: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.20.021

She simply has to declare her intent to become a resident. The day she arrives in Washington is the day she intends to become a resident. Therefore, her Philippines driver license is good for 30 days from the date she arrives in Washington. After that, she can use her Washington State driver license.

Filed: Timeline

State residency is not the same as having a green card. Each state has their own standards. However, as soon as she arrives in the state of Washington with the intention to live there, she becomes a resident of the state of Washington as far as the DMV is concerned. She is eligible for a SSN as soon a she arrives in the US. Most states support the REAL ID Act, so she will probably not be able to obtain a driver license until she at least has an EAD in hand. So, if it's thirty days, that's it until she gets her EAD or green card, unless the state of Washington will issue her a temporary license.

Establishing residency is filing AOS.

If residency was as simple as getting married - there are 20 million illegals that want to know that trick.

In Arizona, DMV required my wife have her EAD or green card, and the expiration on her license is the same date as on her green card.

She doesn't have to have filed for AOS in order to establish residency in Washington State or to get a driver license. And it's not as simple as getting married either. All of the requirements are clearly spelled out on the Washington State DOL website.

State residency is not the same as having a green card. Each state has their own standards. However, as soon as she arrives in the state of Washington with the intention to live there, she becomes a resident of the state of Washington as far as the DMV is concerned. She is eligible for a SSN as soon a she arrives in the US. Most states support the REAL ID Act, so she will probably not be able to obtain a driver license until she at least has an EAD in hand. So, if it's thirty days, that's it until she gets her EAD or green card, unless the state of Washington will issue her a temporary license.

She doesn't need an EAD or a green card.

From my experience in AK... I would apply for her SSN as soon after she arrives as possible. As in the next day, if you can. While waiting, study for and take the written exam. As SOON as you get her SSN, go get her permit/license.

Why the rush?

Once her I-94 expires, she is OUT OF STATUS, and many states will not allow a foreigner to get a license until you have a NOA from your AOS process, or even the GC itself. Doesn't matter if you are married already, and doesn't matter that USCIS told the DMV that my wife was legal to be here, that OUT OF STATUS can stay in the US indefinitely. The DMV would not budge, and we had to wait even longer for her to get her permit and drive.

Bear in mind, this was our experience in AK, not WA. But it's something I would ask the DMV about now if you want to make sure. As long as she has her SSN and I-94 is still within the 90-day window, she should be good to go. At day 91, AK refused to give her a permit or state ID until she had her GC, which they later conceded that her AOS I-797 was proof enough. And I did not just stay local with this, I went all the way to the head of the DMV at the state capitol.

Edited by DavenRoxy

Filed: Timeline

She doesn't need an EAD or a green card.

Not at the moment. They will starting December 2014.

http://www.leg.wa.gov/JTC/Meetings/Documents/Agendas/2012%20Agendas/JTC_072512/DOL_RealID.pdf

Edited by The Patriot

Timeline

She does not have to be married to you in order to be considered a resident: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.20.021

She simply has to declare her intent to become a resident. The day she arrives in Washington is the day she intends to become a resident. Therefore, her Philippines driver license is good for 30 days from the date she arrives in Washington. After that, she can use her Washington State driver license.

Wow !!! If this is all true.......that is a pretty tight window of time to deal with to be able to legally drive after 30 days of setting foot on WA State soil...

Land at SeaTac....establish residency, get a SS number, get ready for the drivers test and then take the test, all in 30 days....again, WoW !!!

cjmc

Timeline

Don't forget to check with your insurance company as well.

I have done that already, and they said....We can add her to your policy anytime....she just needs to be able to legally drive in the State of WA...it is up to you to figure that out....

cjmc

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.