brookelina

MSC vs Local CIS office

12 posts in this topic

I filed for a K-1 based AOS (form I-485) back in February. It was received by the National Benefits Centre (and is still in Acceptance online, but that's another question...), but when trying to figure out a timeline, MSC isn't an option.

My local CIS office is Memphis, TN... should I be looking at their stats/general timeline? Or is there somewhere else I can look? I'm just looking for a general idea of how long I should expect to wait, I know each case is different...

Thanks!

Edited by brookelina

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~~Moved from K-1 Process to Family-based AOS Process Forum~~

~Poster is past K-1~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

I'd love to know this too. My husband applied in December, and according to my call to the USCIS today, we're still at the NBC and have not been transferred to our local office (Chicago).

October 2007- Became friends gaming onlineJanuary 16, 2009- Met in person in UKDecember 25, 2011- Ten visits later, engaged!February 24, 2012- I-129F SentFebruary 29, 2012- NOA 1 ReceivedJuly 13, 2012- RFE email sad.pngJuly 20, 2012-RFE response mailed to CSCJuly 24, 2012-RFE response reviewJuly 26, 2012-NOA2!!!!July 30, 2012-NOA2 Hardcopy ReceivedAugust 3, 2012-NVC received case and forwarded to LondonAugust 6, 2012-Case received by LondonAugust 13, 2012-Packet 3 sent out by consulateAugust 15, 2012-Packet 3 receivedAugust 23, 2012-Mailed affidavit and original forms to Rob via express mailAugust 30, 2012-MedicalSeptember 3, 2012-Packet 3 sent to embassy with DS-2001September 4, 2012-Packet 3 and DS-2001 arrive in LondonSeptember 26, 2012-Packet 4 receivedOctober 11, 2012- lnterview- Result: APPROVEDOctober 18, 2012-Visa in handNovember 15, 2012- POE-ORDNovember 21, 2012- Legal wedding!!November 30, 2012- Applied for SSNDecember 7, 2012- SSN card came in mailDecember 20, 2012- AOS/EAD/AP sent outDecember 27, 2012-AOS/EAD/AP Text/email confirmationDecember 31, 2012-AOS/EAD/AP NOA1 received in mailJanuary 22, 2013-Biometrics appointmentFebruary 15, 2013- EAD/AP approvedFebruary 27, 2013- EAD/AP card arrived in mailApril 6, 2013- Big family wedding!!August 12, 2013-AOS text/email- APPROVED!! <p>May 16, 2015- ROC package sent to CSC August 15, 2015- ROC Approved!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Same here ! I applied for AOS back in January and still waiting. It seems that NBC changed their procedure last June and started to send "interview waiver" files to local offices...which means they had been sleeping there for awhile and should eventually be transferred to local offices...someday !! I don't expect to hear anything until next december.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

The NBC does not give dates for processing family based AOS applications. You can follow the timelines of others that have filed at the same time as you to get an idea if yours is on track or not.

~ Moved from AOS Family Based main to AOS Progress Reports ~

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

The NBC does not give dates for processing family based AOS applications. You can follow the timelines of others that have filed at the same time as you to get an idea if yours is on track or not.

~ Moved from AOS Family Based main to AOS Progress Reports ~

Thanks! I may be a bit of a rube for asking, but will the NBC actually process our application or will they ultimately send it to my local office? It's hard to tell from the AOS timelines who went to a local office and who didn't. There are several people around my filing date who have been approved without interview, but I don't know if that means they were processed at MSC or elsewhere.

October 2007- Became friends gaming onlineJanuary 16, 2009- Met in person in UKDecember 25, 2011- Ten visits later, engaged!February 24, 2012- I-129F SentFebruary 29, 2012- NOA 1 ReceivedJuly 13, 2012- RFE email sad.pngJuly 20, 2012-RFE response mailed to CSCJuly 24, 2012-RFE response reviewJuly 26, 2012-NOA2!!!!July 30, 2012-NOA2 Hardcopy ReceivedAugust 3, 2012-NVC received case and forwarded to LondonAugust 6, 2012-Case received by LondonAugust 13, 2012-Packet 3 sent out by consulateAugust 15, 2012-Packet 3 receivedAugust 23, 2012-Mailed affidavit and original forms to Rob via express mailAugust 30, 2012-MedicalSeptember 3, 2012-Packet 3 sent to embassy with DS-2001September 4, 2012-Packet 3 and DS-2001 arrive in LondonSeptember 26, 2012-Packet 4 receivedOctober 11, 2012- lnterview- Result: APPROVEDOctober 18, 2012-Visa in handNovember 15, 2012- POE-ORDNovember 21, 2012- Legal wedding!!November 30, 2012- Applied for SSNDecember 7, 2012- SSN card came in mailDecember 20, 2012- AOS/EAD/AP sent outDecember 27, 2012-AOS/EAD/AP Text/email confirmationDecember 31, 2012-AOS/EAD/AP NOA1 received in mailJanuary 22, 2013-Biometrics appointmentFebruary 15, 2013- EAD/AP approvedFebruary 27, 2013- EAD/AP card arrived in mailApril 6, 2013- Big family wedding!!August 12, 2013-AOS text/email- APPROVED!! <p>May 16, 2015- ROC package sent to CSC August 15, 2015- ROC Approved!

Timeline

Thanks! I may be a bit of a rube for asking, but will the NBC actually process our application or will they ultimately send it to my local office? It's hard to tell from the AOS timelines who went to a local office and who didn't. There are several people around my filing date who have been approved without interview, but I don't know if that means they were processed at MSC or elsewhere.

It will either stay at the NBC and be approved without interview, or sent to your local office for an interview. It appears to be random whether or not you are sent to have an interview.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

It will either stay at the NBC and be approved without interview, or sent to your local office for an interview. It appears to be random whether or not you are sent to have an interview.

Not true. Some people's cases are different. Mine was sent to the local office and was approved just today without an interview. The NBC has been back logged and has been sending all or most cases to the local offices for approval.

Stacy - NL, Canada
Tom - Houston, TX

US CONSULATE - MONTREAL (K-1)
Interview date: 07/23/2012 - APPROVED!!!!
US POE: 08/16/2012
Marriage: 09/07/2012

AOS
Package sent: 10/13/2012
NOA1: 10/19/2012
Biometrics: 11/26/2012
EAD Arrived: 12/10/2012
AP Arrived: 03/15/2013
E-Mail - 'Decision' = APPROVED: 08/06/2013 (9.5 month wait!)
Green Card in Hand: 08/14/2013

ROC

Package sent: 05/26/2015

Timeline

Not true. Some people's cases are different. Mine was sent to the local office and was approved just today without an interview. The NBC has been back logged and has been sending all or most cases to the local offices for approval.

When did the NBC begin sending them off to the local offices? Are they sending out transfer notices, and then people just not receive an interview letter and get an approval from their local office? This is the first I have heard of this, so I am interested. They needed to clear the out the backlog, that is for sure. People have been waiting far too long.

When did the NBC begin sending them off to the local offices? Are they sending out transfer notices, and then people just not receive an interview letter and get an approval from their local office? This is the first I have heard of this, so I am interested. They needed to clear the out the backlog, that is for sure. People have been waiting far too long.

Mine was transferred on June 27th and I didn't hear anything at all. No notice of transfer. Nothing. I made a service request a little over two weeks ago and I got a phone call from the local office here in Houston 10 days after the call. They said they received a bunch of cases back in June and they were currently working on the backlog. Told me to make another service request in 60-90 days if I didn't hear anything.

I'm really disappointed that when our cases are sent, we are left in the dark for months and months on end.

Stacy - NL, Canada
Tom - Houston, TX

US CONSULATE - MONTREAL (K-1)
Interview date: 07/23/2012 - APPROVED!!!!
US POE: 08/16/2012
Marriage: 09/07/2012

AOS
Package sent: 10/13/2012
NOA1: 10/19/2012
Biometrics: 11/26/2012
EAD Arrived: 12/10/2012
AP Arrived: 03/15/2013
E-Mail - 'Decision' = APPROVED: 08/06/2013 (9.5 month wait!)
Green Card in Hand: 08/14/2013

ROC

Package sent: 05/26/2015

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

There was no otice sent. NBC/MSC are processing your AOS according to your local office processing dates, those who were backlogged got actually sent to the local offices for proccessing.

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Timeline

Mine was transferred on June 27th and I didn't hear anything at all. No notice of transfer. Nothing. I made a service request a little over two weeks ago and I got a phone call from the local office here in Houston 10 days after the call. They said they received a bunch of cases back in June and they were currently working on the backlog. Told me to make another service request in 60-90 days if I didn't hear anything.

I'm really disappointed that when our cases are sent, we are left in the dark for months and months on end.

Thanks for he info! Glad they are doing something to try and get those waiting at the NBC approved already. The wait times have become a bit ridiculous for some people. Congrats on finally getting yours approved and I hope others will soon follow. Also, glad you did not have to keep waiting and put in another service request. Enjoy your 1 year and 9 months reprieve from the USCIS.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.