TenzP

Wife arrived in US, what are next steps?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

Hi guys,

My wife got her immigrant visa and she has arrived in the USA now. What are the next steps?

Does she have to file a I-485 to get her green card? How long will it after it applies?

When can she apply for her Social Security Number and how long does that take?

Thanks,

Edited by TenzP

She arrived on a CR-1/IR-1 visa? If so, so long as you paid the Immigrant Fee ($165) already, then her green card should just show up. :)

Entering on a CR-1/IR-1 visa doesn't require the I-485 to adjust their status. They're already immigrants.

See this guide for applying for an SSN, but if you checked the right box on the visa application forms, then a card may already be on the way to her: http://www.visajourney.com/content/ssn

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Senegal
Timeline

Yes I agree. She's already a legal permanent resident upon arriving in the US. She just have to wait for her green card in the mail anytime now...

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

1. Chase down the green card with ELIS system

2. Chase after a SSN at the SSA office, 15 days after POE date.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

In my case, I got my GC less than 2 weeks after arrival and SSN a week after arrival. They gonna mail it to you soon. Good luck!

Timeline

In my case, I got my GC less than 2 weeks after arrival and SSN a week after arrival. They gonna mail it to you soon. Good luck!

http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=161488

Please post yer official VJ timeline, nowish ? Thanks so much, and thanks in advance !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any other way to track green card production, and should I be expecting some sort of NOA1 (in the mail? had nothing via email)?

Submitted our $165 payment on the 22nd July.

POEd 30th July.

Elis says status "Accepted" (I assume "Optimized" would be when it goes out for printing, then closed once it's sent?)

And I've got a receipt number IOEXXXXXXXXXX which doesn't seem to do anything on USCIS case status checker.

What am I missing?

26th August 2016 - NOA1

7th June 2017 - Oath

Timeline

Competent Programmers on the ELIS system.

That's what yer missing.

Competent Programmers on the ELIS system.

That's what yer missing.

Hah. Yes. The whole login + one time use pin thing makes me very unhappy, as a programmer myself.

26th August 2016 - NOA1

7th June 2017 - Oath

Timeline

TenzP - where is your wife, today? Has the ELIS branch of DHS taken her back across the border? What's going on ?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.