pacharya

Calling US Consulate in Sydney, AU

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

We just got our NVC case number and now our case is in Transit to Sydney. In preparation for the interview and shorten the delays, we are trying to gather as much stuff in advance as possible. I have some questions if someone has already been through this or anyone that can give some information on this as calling the consulate in Sydney was not much of help.

1. Has anyone tried scheduling the medical right after getting the number from NVC? Given that you still haven't received packet 3 from the consulate

2. Has anyone tried getting the police clearances done right after getting the number from NVC? Given that you still haven't received packer 3 from the consulate

3. Does my fiancee (beneficiary) have to get the Federal or State police clearance?

4. If you get the medical and police clearances done before your interview, how long are they considered valid?

Thanks,

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

From what I remember, the National Police Clearance is valid for 6 months. The medical should be done as close to your interview as possible (maybe within the month). Please dont quote me on this info thou. I do have a link to what packet 3 will consist of.. Have a read, it may give you the next-do-for-you..

http://canberra.usembassy.gov/fiance_niv_appl.html
Good Luck

Spoiler

GC Expiry - 10/27/16

ROC:
09/13/16 - Sent I-751 package to CSC
09/16/16 - USCIS received package
09/20/16 - $845 check cashed - (myself and 3 children)

09/22/16 - NOA1 hard copy. Dated 09/16/16
09/26/16- Verification of Inclusion of a Dependent in I-751 (x 3) - Dated 09/16/16

10/13/16 - Biometrics Appointment

09/25/17 - Infopass - I-551 stamp. Expiry 6/25/18

02/15/18 - Case Inquiry - Out of processing time (09/22/18) Reply due 3/10/18.

02/25/18 - Case updated to "We received your case" 

04/06/18 - Case updated to "We received your case"

04/06/18 - Case updated to "We transferred your case to another USCIS office for processing" - CSC to CSC  (letter)

04/10/18 - Case updated to "We transferred your case to another USCIS office for processing" - CSC to POTOMAC  (letter)

04/11/18 - Case updated to "We transferred your case to another USCIS office for processing"

04/19/18 - Case updated to "We received your case" 

05/07/18 - Case updated to "We transferred your case to another USCIS office for processing" - POTOMAC to NBC.  (letter)

05/07/18 - Case updated to "We received your case"

05/08/18 - Case updated to "We transferred your case to another USCIS office for processing'

06/01/18 - Case Approved with N-400 Approval. 

CITIZENSHIP

08/23/17 - N-400 sent (USPS Lost package, In Transit - Delayed status)
09/11/17 - N-400 sent again via FedEX.

09/14/17 - N-400 NOA1

09/25/17 - Email Acceptance - Routed to NBC.

10/10/17 - Walk in Biometrics - Seattle.

10/18/17 - In line for Interview

05/02/18 - Interview Scheduled.

06/01/18 - Interview - APPROVED

07/04/18 - July 4th Oath Ceremony.

A lot of this depends on which state in Australia your fiancee resides.

1. You can schedule the medical whenever you like. Depending on what state you are in, you may need the NVC case number at the actual medical. However since you already have now that then there is no problem going ahead with the medical, no matter which state she is in.

2. You can get the police clearance whenever you want. I suggest do it now as it can take a few weeks to receive, depending on your state.

3. The procedure for the police clearance depends on her state.

4. I think the medical is valid for a year. However you want it to be valid by the time she submits her AOS, so for this reason it is a good idea to have it done as close to the interview as possible

Oh and if you have questions, email is the best way to reach the consulate in Sydney.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

You should do it now as it takes roughly 2 weeks to get the Police certificate. Might as well get it in case there is a delay.

I am interested in the answer to your question regarding contacting the consulate. Perhaps you can keep us informed please.

Also can you let us know how long the wait list is for the exam. I assume you are having the exam in Sydney?

I would try scheduling your medical now, because you can send in your packet 3 info without it and just bring it with you to your interview. If you are having your medical in Sydney, I know there was a bit of a backlog not long ago because one of the doctors was out of town for 3 weeks so that may take some time. You should be able to do that with just the number; you don't need to have received packet 3 to do that.

I would also go ahead and get the police clearance now as well, since it can take some time and will be valid for plenty of time. It took about 10 days for my fiancé's to come back to us. You don't need the packet 3 to do that either. Follow the link given above for information about how to do the clearance depending on where in Australia your fiancée is.

I emailed the embassy last week and it took them almost a week to get back to me (with a form response), but then I got my Packet 4 the next day.

I am the USC/Petitioner

------Our K-1 Journey------

12/24/12- I-129F mailed
12/27/12- I-129F received @ 11:43 am, Lewisville, TX (USPS confirmation)
12/31/12- NAO1 official date
01/02/13- e-mail confirmation for NOA1, case enroute to CSC!
01/02/12- check cashed
01/04/13- Alien registration # changed
01/07/13- NAO1 received in mail
05/22/13- NAO2
06/05/13- NVC sent
06/11/13- Received Packet 3 via e-mail (Australia date)
06/28/13- Mailed Packet 3 (Australia date)
07/12/13- Medical in Melbourne
07/24/13- Received Packet 4 via e-mail (Australia date)
08/06/13- Interview in Sydney
08/06/13- Approval
08/08/13- Visa Mailed
08/12/13- Visa received
10/03/13- POE
10/10/13- Wedding

------Our AOS Journey------

11/19/13- AOS paperwork mailed
11/27/13- AOS paperwork received by USCIS- e-mail confirmations and check cashed

12/19/13- Biometrics

01/27/14- EAD and AP approved

01/30/14- EAD/AP card mailed

02/01/14- EAD/AP card received in mail

02/04/14- GC Interview

02/13/14- GC received

Timeline

From what I remember, the National Police Clearance is valid for 6 months. The medical should be done as close to your interview as possible (maybe within the month). Please dont quote me on this info thou. I do have a link to what packet 3 will consist of.. Have a read, it may give you the next-do-for-you..

http://canberra.usembassy.gov/fiance_niv_appl.html

Good Luck

A lot of this depends on which state in Australia your fiancee resides.

1. You can schedule the medical whenever you like. Depending on what state you are in, you may need the NVC case number at the actual medical. However since you already have now that then there is no problem going ahead with the medical, no matter which state she is in.

2. You can get the police clearance whenever you want. I suggest do it now as it can take a few weeks to receive, depending on your state.

3. The procedure for the police clearance depends on her state.

4. I think the medical is valid for a year. However you want it to be valid by the time she submits her AOS, so for this reason it is a good idea to have it done as close to the interview as possible

Oh and if you have questions, email is the best way to reach the consulate in Sydney.

You should do it now as it takes roughly 2 weeks to get the Police certificate. Might as well get it in case there is a delay.

I am interested in the answer to your question regarding contacting the consulate. Perhaps you can keep us informed please.

Also can you let us know how long the wait list is for the exam. I assume you are having the exam in Sydney?

I would try scheduling your medical now, because you can send in your packet 3 info without it and just bring it with you to your interview. If you are having your medical in Sydney, I know there was a bit of a backlog not long ago because one of the doctors was out of town for 3 weeks so that may take some time. You should be able to do that with just the number; you don't need to have received packet 3 to do that.

I would also go ahead and get the police clearance now as well, since it can take some time and will be valid for plenty of time. It took about 10 days for my fiancé's to come back to us. You don't need the packet 3 to do that either. Follow the link given above for information about how to do the clearance depending on where in Australia your fiancée is.

I emailed the embassy last week and it took them almost a week to get back to me (with a form response), but then I got my Packet 4 the next day.

Thank you so much guys for this helpful information. I will post here as we go along for all the steps. Thanks again for all your help !!

Timeline

Do any of you guys know if the fingerprints are required with the police certificates? Should my Fiancee get fingerprints done as well or just the police certificates? I do not see anything mentioned on the Canberra site for fingerprints but just want to be sure.

Timeline

Do any of you guys know if the fingerprints are required with the police certificates? Should my Fiancee get fingerprints done as well or just the police certificates? I do not see anything mentioned on the Canberra site for fingerprints but just want to be sure.

There does seem to be some confusion on this.

I got mine fingerprints done just in case and have the full certificate. It was expensive but i didnt want to have a problem at the interview etc.

Timeline

Hi Pacharya! You do need the police certificate with fingerprints.

K-1 JourneyI-129F sent: 12/03/2012 (overnight)NOA1 printed on letter: 12/06/2012NOA1 text/email: 12/07/2012Transfer from VSC to TSC: 5/29/2013NOA2: 6/18/2013Notice of transfer to Dept of State: 7/10/2013Case received by NVC: 7/12/2013Packet 3 received: 7/26/2013Packet 3 mailed: 7/31/2013 (overnight)Packet 4 received: 8/9/2013Interview: 8/20/2013 Approved!Wedding Date: 10/26/2013 smile.pngAOS JourneyI-485/I-131/I-765 NOA1: 12/6/2013EAD/AP Approved: 2/11/2014<p>Notice of Interview Waiver: Received on 3/17/14 but dated 3/12/14

Approved 6/25/2014!

Timeline

Hi Pacharya! You do need the police certificate with fingerprints.

Hi SherryandDaniel,

Thank you for your reply on this. Have you read this somewhere in packet 3 instructions or online on Canberra's website? We were not able to find anything and that's why were wondering if we should get fingerprints done or not.

Timeline

I read it on VJ first, but again there were a few posts with confusing information. My fiancé e-mailed the consulate about 3 months ago for clarification and they responded in about a week confirming that yes you do need fingerprints.

NOTE: When we went to get fingerprints done, we had to go to 2 different stations in Sydney. The first one was Chattswood. They were very rude, had no idea what they were talking about. Told us to come back with the entire Packet 3 with ALL the originals and they would mail it for us (yeah right buddy!). Chattswood refuse to mail us the police certificate (which is what you want because otherwise it can easily get lost without your SYD case number attached). There's actually another post on here about Chattswood & basically the people had the same experience. We left, and went to City Central who knew EXACTLY what they were doing, and then we got the certificate in the mail 2.5 weeks later. We held it until now (it's good for 6 months or a year...I can't remember now), and we are just waiting for packet 3.

Does that help?

Hi SherryandDaniel,

Thank you for your reply on this. Have you read this somewhere in packet 3 instructions or online on Canberra's website? We were not able to find anything and that's why were wondering if we should get fingerprints done or not.

K-1 JourneyI-129F sent: 12/03/2012 (overnight)NOA1 printed on letter: 12/06/2012NOA1 text/email: 12/07/2012Transfer from VSC to TSC: 5/29/2013NOA2: 6/18/2013Notice of transfer to Dept of State: 7/10/2013Case received by NVC: 7/12/2013Packet 3 received: 7/26/2013Packet 3 mailed: 7/31/2013 (overnight)Packet 4 received: 8/9/2013Interview: 8/20/2013 Approved!Wedding Date: 10/26/2013 smile.pngAOS JourneyI-485/I-131/I-765 NOA1: 12/6/2013EAD/AP Approved: 2/11/2014<p>Notice of Interview Waiver: Received on 3/17/14 but dated 3/12/14

Approved 6/25/2014!

She must get the fingerprint check. What state does she live in?

Timeline

I read it on VJ first, but again there were a few posts with confusing information. My fiancé e-mailed the consulate about 3 months ago for clarification and they responded in about a week confirming that yes you do need fingerprints.

NOTE: When we went to get fingerprints done, we had to go to 2 different stations in Sydney. The first one was Chattswood. They were very rude, had no idea what they were talking about. Told us to come back with the entire Packet 3 with ALL the originals and they would mail it for us (yeah right buddy!). Chattswood refuse to mail us the police certificate (which is what you want because otherwise it can easily get lost without your SYD case number attached). There's actually another post on here about Chattswood & basically the people had the same experience. We left, and went to City Central who knew EXACTLY what they were doing, and then we got the certificate in the mail 2.5 weeks later. We held it until now (it's good for 6 months or a year...I can't remember now), and we are just waiting for packet 3.

Does that help?

Excellent, that is some great information, thank you so much, i'll let her know.

She must get the fingerprint check. What state does she live in?

Hi Lainie B, thank you for your reply. she is in NSW.

Timeline

I have a question also. I have my NOA2 (July 22) and am waiting on the whole worker ants to send it to NVC then onto the Sydney Consulate (I am from Brisbane though). I wanted to get my medical and police background check done before i leave for the US on the 6th Sept for 2 1/2 months to see my fiance. I thought the medical and the police check were both valid for 6 months?

I want to try and have the medical and police check ready before I leave (fingers crossed) the packet 3 paperwork should arrive just before i go. So, in a perfect world I thought that we could have the paperwork, police check etc all sent off before I leave and schedule my consulate interview first thing when i get back to Brisbane.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.