Sheriff Uling

Lessons Learned (Filing I-485 AOS & I-765 EAD)

113 posts in this topic

Please review and/or make comments/suggestions for others where appropriate...

this should always be on top.

I didn't see this thread when I started my AOS . This could've helped me.

Sorry to know that... By the by for others reading this, please also check out the VJ Guides section in the tabs at the top. I believe almost all of this information is covered in the VJ's AOS instructions.

Cheers!!!

Sheriff Uling

[CLICK HERE] - MANILA EMBASSY K1 VISA GUIDE (Review Post #1)

[CLICK HERE] - VJ Acronyms and USCIS Form Definitions (A Handy Reference Tool)

Manila Embassy K1 Visa Information

4.2 National Visa Center (NVC) | (603) 334-0700 press 1, then 5....

4.3 Manila Embassy (Immigrant Visa Unit) | 011-632-301-2000 ext 5184 or dial 0

4.4 Department of State | (202) 663-1225, press 1, press 0,

4.5 Document Verification | CLICK HERE

4.6 Visa Interview Appointments website | CLICK HERE

4.7 St. Lukes | 011-63-2-521-0020

5.1 DELBROS website | CLICK HERE

6.2 CFO Guidance and Counseling Seminar | MANILA or CEBU

6.3 I-94 Arrival / Departure info | CLICK HERE

Adjustment of Status (AOS) Information

Please review the signature and story tab of my wife's profile, [Deputy Uling].

DISCLAIMER: Providing information does not constitute legal consul nor is intended as a substitute for legal representation.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
I learned that I can save a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to GEICO.

hahahahaha :rofl::lol:

Passage Revelation 19:11:

11And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

"satan is real and he's playing for keeps
God is realer and we are His sheep
which side are you on, CHOOSE, start moving your feet
choose JESUS and have ETERNAL PEACE" by GOD to me on 9/26/10 about 2am
Thank you Jesus!!!!

Bebe and Cece Winans Heaven

Abdel Halim Hafez Qariat al Fingan

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

At our interview, she said we were approved and that we should receive the green card in 2 weeks. I didn't know any better, and didn't ask for the passport stamp. Heard nothing for 2 months, and after calling the 800 number (worthless...), they send me a letter saying to wait another 2 months.

Not wanting to wait any more, I made an InfoPass appointment at the local office, and we got the passport stamp right then and there. The online status was also changed that day to say that a Welcome letter was mailed.

I think they screwed up, and just never finalized the appication in the computer, but the office that helped us wouldn't admit to that, and would only say that a supervisor was reviewing it today.

So my advise is, 1) get the passport stamp the minute they say your approved, and 2) if you don't hear anything in due time, get the InfoPass appointment and talk to them face-to-face.

VJ Family...

We will be filing our AOS and EAD within the next two months. If anyone has any lessons learned from your case, please share your experiece(s).

Thanks and God bless...

Ahmari & Jhen

NOTE: We do not have any specific questions. The directions/requirements are straight forward.

Make sure you have all your paperwork correct before you send it in. Make sure you have copies of everything you send.

It has been a frustrating waiting game. I applied for my wife and daughter. The only NOA received was for my daughter.

See my timeline in my signature.

Good Luck

AOS Timeline

11/29/07 - Fedex'd to Lockbox (Chicago)

12/3/07 - Delivery confirmation..........

12/21/07 - Checks cashed!!!

01/10/08 Paper NOA1 for daughter received - Postmarked 12/20/07

MSC# on back of check doesn't match MSC# on NOA.

01/31/08 Still no news for wife. All three numbers still come up red on-line.

02/26/08 Called USCIS 800 number. Very friendly and helpful individual and supervisor.

Found out correct MSC numbers. Also found out that we missed the Bio!

We never received any appointment letter. (Originally set for January)

Went to local support office and asked about re-scheduling the Bio. Very nice manager at the office

did our Bio then and there, without having to wait since they were not busy.

April 8 and still waiting.......

May 11....and waiting, and waiting...not even a touch.

May 24 received NOA2 appointment for Interview for 30 July. Web page still not updated.

July 30 - Interview. APPROVED. Green card will be sent.

9/12/08 Called USCIS asking where GC's are?

10/15/08 Get letter from USCIS that GC's were sent August 8. Never received them.

10/20/08 Sent forms and $740 for two new GC's.

11/7/08 Received confirmation of receipt for new GC's.

11/12/08 Received BIO appointment.

11/25/08 Bio done.

Waiting, waiting, waiting

January 2009 finally received GC!

May 3 2010 Filed for Removal of Conditions.

June 21 Bio appointment.

August 11 Approval letter. No Interview.

August 21 - 10 Year card received.

Sorry joint & substitute sponsors need to. I put mine in anyhow!

Ah yes, that's true. Even in that case, the USC spouse still doesn't have to send proof of citizenship, only the co-sponsor does.

We are adjusting status from a K1 visa. When I was putting the packet together I had flashbacks of the CO ripping off all our attachments on our forms during our k1 interview and handing them back to us without looking at them. I think I must have made a mental note: "USCIS hates unnecessary information!" and I tried to avoid sending anything unnecessary or redundant. Because of that I decided that I did not need to send in a copy of my birth certificate as I am the USC and we sent in my birth certificate with our initial k1 petition.

However I received an RFE for that very thing about 2 months into the process. While it may not have been on the checklist they did send an RFE for it.

lesson learned. It's hard to guess beyond the checklist what the USCIS will determine necessary information. All you can do is try to cover your @** as best you can and if you get an RFE it's not the end of the world. Just send it back as quick as you can and hope that everything goes smoothly from there.

and maybe include the USC birth certificate even if you're adjusting status from a K1 and they don't ask for it.

that's my 2cents.

• 1 year later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

About the Tip #5 and #6

when applying for the ID and SSN, what about the Last name? i dont think my fiancee can use my last name yet.

does this mean you will have to apply for name change soon?

About the Tip #5 and #6

when applying for the ID and SSN, what about the Last name? i dont think my fiancee can use my last name yet.

does this mean you will have to apply for name change soon?

Your "fiance'" cannot, but your "wife" can. Make sure take a certified copy of your marriage certificate with you. However, SSN will not change the name until USCIS has the name change recorded in their system as well (we found this out the hard way). Otherwise they will issue the SSN in her maiden name.

K-1 - I-129F

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : London, England

• 18 May 2009: Interview - **APPROVED** (213 Days)

AOS - I-485

Field Office: Memphis, TN

• 15 Dec 2009: **APPROVED!!** 131 Days!

EAD - I-765

• 02 Dec 2009: **APPROVED!!** 141 Days (recommend do NOT e-file)

ROC - I-781

• 07 Nov 2011: Package mailed to VSC (USPS Express mail)
  • 08 Nov 2011: Package received at VSC
  • 09 Nov 2011 - NOA1
  • 13 Jan 2012 - Biometrics appointment
  • 24 Aug 2012 - RFE (bummed!!!)
  • 13 Sep 2012 - **APPROVED!!**
  • 24 Sep 2012 - Card received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.