Bugs

What percentage end up having to take sputum?

28 posts in this topic

Read this: Philippines TB

Its estimated that 200,000 to 600,000 have TB...

Eating lots of fruit, taking vitamins isn't going to do "jack" for preventing TB

Wow from your link:

"Another alarming fact: An estimated 80 percent of Filipinos have latent TB. Because of the huge TB burden in the country, most of us already have the so-called latent TB. Yes, that in all likelihood means you and me. In this condition, we already have the TB infection in our bodies, but the TB is still in the inactive state. Hence, we feel no symptoms and we are not contagious to other people. Some countries, like the US, will treat those with latent TB with medicines. But we cant help it because we are born in the Philippines. We just need to observe a healthy lifestyle, or else the TB infection might get reactivated.

"Treatment of TB may not change your chest x-ray results back to normal. Thus, many Filipinos cannot pass job tests for abroad because of past or present TB infection. Studies show that once treatment for TB is completed, a repeat chest x-ray may show the following results: 30 percent of chest x-rays will revert to normal (good news), 30 percent of chest x-rays will improve but will still show a scar (still cant pass job test), 30 percent of chest x-rays will remain the same. This just goes to show that the TB burden in the country is also affecting the employment of our people."

barata-gif-3.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

eating fruits, drinking milk, taking vitamins cannot make one negative on PTb or prevent in undergoing sputum test if the person really has PTb or having problems with their lungs. make an effort in boosting ur immune system esp if u do not know if you really have a PTb or other dse...when would u start boosting ur immune system?once u found out that u have a PTb or wen u get sick or when u are told to have a sputum test? It is better to do something than nothing at all.. and prevent from getting sick esp before/during the medical exam. it is better to have a medical when you are OK and not sick. boosting our immune system, having a healthy lifestyle, are what we can do to prevent from getting sick..while worrying (which is understandable), we can eat fruits,veggies,meats that are rich in protein and take vitamins..these foods can help in fighting against bacterias and viruses..also,try to avoid stress as much as possible. BUT if 1 really have a PTb or have problems with their lungs, then doing all of these are no use for them.... it would then be a miracle if they pass their xray by just drinking bear brand (which is a myth) if their lungs really have problems.being put under sputum test s****.I felt bad for those who undergo sputum test... but if u passed the medical exam? all these efforts are worth it! Live well Eat well! lol

"Prevention is better than cure"

It is also a case-to-case basis during the interview.. same with the medical exam and CFO GCP.

Been reading some reviews about applicants who attended at the interview with their fiance.. some said that they were interviewed alone. and some said both of them were interviewed together.

Some said that if your fiance will go with you at the interview, the result would be "smooth". And some also said that if your fiance will go with u at the interview, the more the consul will ask both of u a question.. and the consul might also ask questions to ur fiance about fiancee's family and etc... (that fiance might not know bec the fiance only met fiancee in few days/weeks)

the thing is, why worry if both of u knows your background..it is a case to case basis and this interview is "very important" and no one would want to play games with the consuls, my fiance and i are both presenting in front of the consul and there, the consul will judge us if we are really real.. and if the petitioner has the money to buy a ticket, then there is no problem in going here.

As for me, I would rather be with my fiance once we are approved and celebrate together / when something goes wrong.. i would want to leave USEM with my fiance than being alone and cry alone.. if something goes wrong at the interview, it would really be sad and would really help if both of u are together...

I heard somewhere that about 25% get sent through for sputum tests due to the xray looking suspicious but end up ok. Many more end up having the TB virus which I read 2 years ago is about 35-40% All you can do is have your fiancée do a local xray of her chest and lungs. Send it out for a 3rd party evaluation then let the chips fall where they may. Send her to a good hospital for her xrays if you go this route. I do know that I was up nervous the day my now wife went to St Lukes. It will be a nerve racking night for you here as well. As Hank mentioned the TB virus is very big in countries like Philippines where they sleep and live so close to each other. Good luck on your journey and have faith...

I heard somewhere that about 25% get sent through for sputum tests due to the xray looking suspicious but end up ok. Many more end up having the TB virus which I read 2 years ago is about 35-40% All you can do is have your fiancée do a local xray of her chest and lungs. Send it out for a 3rd party evaluation then let the chips fall where they may. Send her to a good hospital for her xrays if you go this route. I do know that I was up nervous the day my now wife went to St Lukes. It will be a nerve racking night for you here as well. As Hank mentioned the TB virus is very big in countries like Philippines where they sleep and live so close to each other. Good luck on your journey and have faith...

I don't think any one of us is not concerned about TB and failing the TB and what that does for additional anxiety that it creates, especially we know that treatment is the only solution. Notwithstanding the amount of additional time it adds to the process. My fiancée contacted a nurse friend of hers who does x-rays for a Doctors office in her hometown and she and her boss (Doctor) agreed for a reduced cost to do a chest x-ray on her and her two children. The Doctor read the results and didn't find anything that indicated that they were exposed to or had TB. I think they charged her 130PHP and it put her and I at ease.

If we had found something we would have started treatment immediately in order to cure and to not loose our momentum.

Just a suggestion.

Good Luck

Edited by Greenbaum
Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

hey my fiance is going thru 2 month sputem right now. Her x-ray was negative. But she told them she had asthma during medical history part, so they made her do 2 month sputem anyway

Damn, my fiance had a history of asthma when younger. :(

barata-gif-3.gif

Damn, my fiance had a history of asthma when younger. sad.png

There is a good lesson to be learned here. DON'T VOLUNTEER INFORMATION that has not been asked! Answer the question being posed to you with confidence and truthfulness. BUT, keep it short, use the facts as you know them and stay on point. If the interviewer wants additional information they WILL ask.

You will do a great injustice to all the work that the two of you have done to get to this point, please discuss this with your Pinay.

Good luck to all of us and god's speed.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

There is a good lesson to be learned here. DON'T VOLUNTEER INFORMATION that has not been asked! Answer the question being posed to you with confidence and truthfulness. BUT, keep it short, use the facts as you know them and stay on point. If the interviewer wants additional information they WILL ask.

You will do a great injustice to all the work that the two of you have done to get to this point, please discuss this with your Pinay.

Good luck to all of us and god's speed.

Yes, that is true, but we'd have to see what was worded in the medical history questions to know if that is possible. She will certianly not lie.

barata-gif-3.gif

eating fruits, drinking milk, taking vitamins cannot make one negative on PTb or prevent in undergoing sputum test if the person really has PTb or having problems with their lungs. make an effort in boosting ur immune system esp if u do not know if you really have a PTb or other dse...when would u start boosting ur immune system?once u found out that u have a PTb or wen u get sick or when u are told to have a sputum test? It is better to do something than nothing at all.. and prevent from getting sick esp before/during the medical exam. it is better to have a medical when you are OK and not sick. boosting our immune system, having a healthy lifestyle, are what we can do to prevent from getting sick..while worrying (which is understandable), we can eat fruits,veggies,meats that are rich in protein and take vitamins..these foods can help in fighting against bacterias and viruses..also,try to avoid stress as much as possible. BUT if 1 really have a PTb or have problems with their lungs, then doing all of these are no use for them.... it would then be a miracle if they pass their xray by just drinking bear brand (which is a myth) if their lungs really have problems.being put under sputum test s****.I felt bad for those who undergo sputum test... but if u passed the medical exam? all these efforts are worth it! Live well Eat well! lol

"Prevention is better than cure"

I am totally agree with Robb&Ann..

Based on the people i asked during my sputum exam, not only are they are having active/ history/exposure to PTB but also those who previously had Pneumonia, Asthma and some other infection. To those who had been exposed to PTB before and at the time of exposure had a low immune system, they are likely to acquire the virus. I had a history of PTB and as what my Pulmonologist said that a Scar in the lungs will never disappear.

I-130 Submitted ---- 09/16/2011

NOA 1 ---- 09/21/2011

I-130 Approved ------ 04/30/2013

NVC Case Number -- 05/14/2013

Medical Exam ------ 05/28/2013

Case Complete ------- 08/06/2013

Interview -------- 09/09/2013

Visa Arrived ---------- 10/17/2013

POE SFO ------------- 10/21/2013

Delays maybe inevitable, but misery is optional!

I can't give you a percentage but I know the raw number is pretty large. My wife went through it and she remembers sitting in a very crowded room with all the others who were chosen. I don't think there's anything you can do to prevent being chosen; its just the luck of the draw. My wife had never been sick but she got tagged for something on the x-ray.

Hope you don't get chosen but even if you do, you'll make it through. Good luck.

IMHO this is the BEST advice and the one that we took. If you suspect exposure, have history, or are just being cautious this is a good thing to do. Here's why (in our case)...

I sent my fiancee to do a full medical inclusive of a CXR a couple months before the SLEC medical. The pre-SLEC medicals and CXR by a private doctor revealed a spot and she immediately started medication. When she was seen by SLEC we already knew they would see the same spot and do the sputum and culture tests. We anticipated this and changed schedules for everything around her having to do DOT. SLEC credited the time/medication prescribed by her private doctor and my fiancee's total DOT at SLEC was 4 months plus the two from her private doctor. In other words, we knew going into the SLEC exams that the probability of passing first time out was slim to none.

This route isn't for everyone, but it will take some of the "I wonder if I will pass the SLEC chest x-ray" anxiety away. Purely my opinion, but if you are like me and HATE surprises, this may help.

01/12/2013: POE
02/14/2013: MARRIED ON VALENTINE'S DAY!
03/18/2013: AOS Sent via USPS Express Mail
03/28/2013: NOA - AOS, AP, EAD
04/25/2013: Biometrics

05/28/2013: RFEs for EADs and APs

06/17/2013: AOS Interviews. Approved

06/26/2013: Green Cards Received! (APs and EAD also received but not needed)

Removal of Conditions

===================================

03/25/2015: Mailed I-751

04/06/2015: NOA1

05/05/2015: Biometrics

07/27/2015: RFE

09/07/2015: RFE Response - Additional Evidence Sent

11/19/2015: Interview - APPROVED!

12/15/2016: Green Cards Issued!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

IMHO this is the BEST advice and the one that we took. If you suspect exposure, have history, or are just being cautious this is a good thing to do. Here's why (in our case)...

I sent my fiancee to do a full medical inclusive of a CXR a couple months before the SLEC medical. The pre-SLEC medicals and CXR by a private doctor revealed a spot and she immediately started medication. When she was seen by SLEC we already knew they would see the same spot and do the sputum and culture tests. We anticipated this and changed schedules for everything around her having to do DOT. SLEC credited the time/medication prescribed by her private doctor and my fiancee's total DOT at SLEC was 4 months plus the two from her private doctor. In other words, we knew going into the SLEC exams that the probability of passing first time out was slim to none.

This route isn't for everyone, but it will take some of the "I wonder if I will pass the SLEC chest x-ray" anxiety away. Purely my opinion, but if you are like me and HATE surprises, this may help.

I also agree with u. and this, actually has been a topic here before. If one really wants to know ahead of time, then they have a choice to have a test done b4 their medical exam or even while waiting for the noa2 (or maybe before filling). if the xray is suspicious and would need for treatment, then it would make sense getting a test prior to medical. atleast the delays were lessened. if someone is in Manila, getting tested/treated at St.Lukes Hospital is what i can say is the best place to go to. or if in case having tested/treated in other hospitals bec they r in the province or for some reasons, just make sure to secure a

• Detailed medical certificate regarding a previously-treated or currently managed clinically significant illness which should contain the following information:
    • duration and date of treatment
    • surgical procedure or medical intervention done
    • complete final diagnosis
    • outcome of treatment or treatment plans and prognosis, if available

and still, live a healthy lifestyle and take good care of urself. This medical exam,CFO and Interview had briought so much stress to everyone already..

Edited by Robb&Ann

I agree 100%. From what I heard doing it on your own ahead of schedule can be costly, I had a friend that paid for his step children's treatments and he said it cost him $150-$200 monthly per child. Not sure if this is accurate. But once again speed versus costs. If St Lukes diagnoses and treats the cost is included in the medical fee. However another caveat is the cost to stay in Manila during the treatments. If one has TB it is just painful for all parties involved. In either time or costs. Goodluck to everyone

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.