Paul and Kathy

Obtaining a Driver's License After Moving to US

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My husband moved to Colorado in early March and has been trying to get his driver's license for the past 4 months. We filed for the AOS and green card in May. After getting the run around from the DMV, we just received a letter saying he is not eligible for a driver's license at this time because his I-485/I-765 application is pending.

Does anyone know if he needs his green card or AOS to be complete prior to getting his driver's license? Any info is much appreciated!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

You can't get a DL until the 1-765 is approved. The 1-765 will most Likey be approved within one or two months before of the 1-485 interview.

He will at this point, need his EAD/AP card to get a driver's license. Does he have that?

if you go here: http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/Revenue-MV/RMV/1177024843137 click on driver's license and a pop up shows what is acceptable ID. You have to fufil all the requirements - Identity, Age, Name, and Lawful Presence.

Here is the pop up page anyhow...

th_CoDrivers.jpg (clickable thumbnail)

If they can't find him in SAVE he'll have to wait for his green card (which is the I-551) and then try again.

This will also help: http://www.colorado.gov/apps/dor/dmv/smartstart/apply/newLicenseForeignNationals.jsf

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I moved to Ohio from Canada. I needed my SS# AND my green card to get my DL. He can use his UK or International DL to drive with until he is able to get the US one . He just won't have US ID for now.

Edited by NinaD

Timeline
USCIS
04/03/2012: I-130 Sent from Ohio
04/05/2012: Rejection Letter b/c we left a line blank! (DUH)
04/09/2012: Re-mailed I-130 from Ohio
04/17/2012: NOA1
~SEVEN MONTH WAIT~
11/28/2012: NOA2

NVC
12/14/2012: NVC received
12/17/2012: Case number/IIN
12/17/2012: AOS Bill PAID
12/29/2012: AOS Package sent
12/20/2012: IV Bill PAID
01/03/2013: IV Package sent
02/05/2013: Case complete at NVC
02/07/2013: Interview scheduled

MONTREAL CONSULATE
02/06/2013: Embassy received
03/01/2013: Medical
03/11/2013: Interview/APPROVED
03/14/2013: Visa packet picked up at Loomis/DHL office in Dorval, PQ
03/15/2013: Paid $165.00 Green Card Fee
03/27/2013: POE: Montreal P.E. Trudeau Airport
04/03/2013: Notice of Action that "Fee is in Suspense"
04/09/2013: Notice of Action that "Fee is accepted and paperwork is in process"
04/10/2013: Notice of Action that a "New card has been ordered"
04/16/2013: Green Card arrived in the mail. Yes, it IS green! smile.png

06/28/2013: Took Driver's License Written Test

07/06/2013: Passed Driver's License Road and Maneuverability test. Received Driver's License

07/06/2013: Hired at Kohl's Department Store

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

As has been often mentioned in this forum, driver's license requirements vary from state to state. Check the local requirements of your DOL/DMV, etc. for specifics. Here is a great spreadsheet from fellow VJ member, LeftCoastLady:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Alp-hKNFww4IdDZ4eWtmRnhDVWw4d1JYV2p6RVExTnc#gid=0

Good luck.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

I'm from germany and my I-765 has not been approved yet but I got my DL just showing up there and showing my marriage license, SSN and my pending AOS.

Also, Germany and Colorado have a special agreement, so I was able to trade my german DL!

Edited by sofasonics

K1 Visa

10/24/12 sent I-129F 06/05/13 received Package 4

10/26/12 NOA1 06/11/13 Interview in Frankfurt

04/22/13 NOA2 06/14/13 Pick up passport at consulate

05/06/13 case number assigned at NVC 06/18/13 POE Detroit

05/08/13 left NVC for Frankfurt 06/18/13 POE Detroit
05/18/13 received Package 3 06/26/13 Wedding
05/21/13 sent Package 3 07/15/13 SSN
05/23/13 Medical Exam in Frankfurt 07/27/13 Colorado DL
AOS
07/02/13 sent AOS/EAD/AP package
07/09/13 NOA's
07/29/13 Biometrics
09/03/13 EAD in production
09/12/13 EAD/AP Card in mail
11/14/13 AOS Interview
11/23/13 Green Card in hand
Removal of Condition
08/26/15 sent I-751 to CSC

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

I'm from germany and my I-765 has not been approved yet but I got my DL just showing up there and showing my marriage license, SSN and my pending AOS.

Also, Germany and Colorado have a special agreement, so I was able to trade my german DL!

Thanks to everyone for the information.

The EAD arrived today so I will be going to the DMV tomorrow to try again.

If it wasn't for VJ I know this whole process would have been so much harder.

Paul & Kathy

Timeline

So after yet another trip to the DMV, this time with my EAD they still cant issue a permit. They advised going to the SAVE office in Lakewood, Denver. The office is only open on Wednesdays and only until 2pm. Apparently there is a note on SAVE and they can't issue a permit until its resolved. After some searching on google, it appears that I need to make an INFOPASS appointment with the USCIS. Apparently they are the only ones who can update SAVE. So the appointment is booked and I will update everyone when I get any more news.

Timeline

So after visiting USCIS infopass things got better. They are really helpful and they called the DMV direct. It first appeared that the DMV had completely screwed up my SAVE record but in the end it turns out that the paperwork they gave me had the wrong case ID on it. So after yet another visit to the DMV (the main office in Lakewood) they ran the check again and it turned out that the local DMV office should have issued me with a permit. So at last I have a permit and a test already booked for next week.

I would highly recommend anyone using the USCIS infopass route. They guy was really great and helpful. It was so good to be able to talk to a real person face to face.

Once again, thanks everyone for the help. We couldn't do it without you :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.