5 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am a LPR, gained this status through DV Lottery. I have been an LPR for 5 years and have just recently filed my N-400. I am currently married but filing for divorce very soon. I filed the application as married. If the divorce goes through before my interview, will it cause an issue with my application? Again my LPR status was NOT based on marriage.

Thank you.

Citizenship Timeline

06/19/2013: N-400 Mailed

06/24/2013: Electronic Notification of Acceptance

06/24/2013: Status: Initial Review

07/18/2013: Biometrics Appointment in Elizabeth NJ

07/22/2013: Status: In line for Interview Scheduling

08/14/2013: Status: Interview Scheduled

09/23/2013: Interview date and Oath Ceremony - APPROVED

09/27/2013: Applied for first U.S. Passport at local USPS

Filed: Timeline

Hello,

I am a LPR, gained this status through DV Lottery. I have been an LPR for 5 years and have just recently filed my N-400. I am currently married but filing for divorce very soon. I filed the application as married. If the divorce goes through before my interview, will it cause an issue with my application? Again my LPR status was NOT based on marriage.

Thank you.

I doubt it, you'll have to inform the IO at the time of the interview and he/she'll make the changes to the form. I'm sure more knowledgeable folks will correct me if I'm wrong.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Nope doesn't matter. Just tell the officer you've filed for divorce or if the divorce is final, whatever the case may be.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Whether or not you obtained your LPR through marriage or another route won't matter. You fulfill the criteria for naturalizing by being in the US for a total of 5 years or more. Even if you were an LPR candidate via marriage (like I was), as long as you aren't trying to use the 3 year waiver, USCIS doesn't care.

You can file the N-400 without any hiccups. The application will ask you about your marital status; in your case, it's either divorced or separated. Include the relevant information on the form. If you don't have your divorce concluded at time of filing, bring a copy of the decree/certificate with you to your interview to provide to the immigration officer. It will be added to your file and your status will be updated there. Before you get your naturalization certificate, the immigration officer will have you review a form with your name, date and place of birth, marital status, etc. for completeness and correctness. That's the time you will flip your status from married to divorced.

You may or may not have a question about the divorce. My officer basically confirmed the information was correct, and moved on. It's not likely to have an impact unless something spectacularly odd happened.

26 January 2005 - Entered US as visitor from Canada.
16 May 2005 - Assembled health package, W2s.
27 June 2005 - Sent package off to Chicago lockbox.
28 June 2005 - Package received at Chicago lockbox.
11 July 2005 - RFE: cheques inappropriately placed.
18 July 2005 - NOA 1: I-485, I-131, I-765 received!
19 July 2005 - NOA 1: I-130 received!
24 August 2005 - Biometrics appointment (Naperville, IL).
25 August 2005 - AOS touched.
29 August 2005 - AP, EAD, I-485 touched.
15 September 2005 - AP and EAD approved!
03 February 2006 - SSN arrives (150 days later)
27 February 2006 - NOA 2: Interview for 27 April!!
27 April 2006 - AOS Interview, approved after 10 minutes!
19 May 2006 - 2 year conditional green card.
01 May 2008 - 10 year green card arrives.
09 December 2012 - Assembled N-400 package.
15 January 2013 - Sent package off to Phoenix.
28 January 2013 - RFE: signature missing.
06 February 2013 - NOA 1: N-400 received!
27 February 2013 - Biometrics appointment (Detroit, MI).
01 April 2013 - NOA 2: Interview assigned.

15 May 2013 - Naturalization Interview, approved after 15 minutes.

10 June 2013 - Naturalized.

Excellent, thank you all for the very helpful responses.

Citizenship Timeline

06/19/2013: N-400 Mailed

06/24/2013: Electronic Notification of Acceptance

06/24/2013: Status: Initial Review

07/18/2013: Biometrics Appointment in Elizabeth NJ

07/22/2013: Status: In line for Interview Scheduling

08/14/2013: Status: Interview Scheduled

09/23/2013: Interview date and Oath Ceremony - APPROVED

09/27/2013: Applied for first U.S. Passport at local USPS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.