Dawn123

US citizen's travel to foreign fiance's country

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Argentina
Timeline

I've seen a lot of topics regarding the foreign fiance traveling to the US during the K1 process, but what about the US citizen's traveling to foreign fiance's country? I know you have to be in the US to start the K1 process, so does that mean that they don't want you to leave? My fiance had to apply for a waiver, which he was granted, and we knew our process would take a bit longer then most, so I decided to "visit" his country for 5 months. Would it be helpful or would it hurt us if he mentions this when he goes to his final interview in his country? Is the only reason this is discouraged because of the economic standpoint (no earning the 125% of poverty level for 2 people for 3 years?)

Thanks for any help!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I've seen a lot of topics regarding the foreign fiance traveling to the US during the K1 process, but what about the US citizen's traveling to foreign fiance's country? I know you have to be in the US to start the K1 process, so does that mean that they don't want you to leave? My fiance had to apply for a waiver, which he was granted, and we knew our process would take a bit longer then most, so I decided to "visit" his country for 5 months. Would it be helpful or would it hurt us if he mentions this when he goes to his final interview in his country? Is the only reason this is discouraged because of the economic standpoint (no earning the 125% of poverty level for 2 people for 3 years?)

Thanks for any help!

I dont think its ever been discouraged for the US citizen to travel to their fiancees country. Alot of people do it, I plan on doing it myself if the wait gets to be to much for me. Alot of people go to their fiancees interviews with them, while you wont be allowed in the actual room during the interview you can still go to the embassy with them. As far as not meeting the poverty lvl, I think you only have to be above the poverty line for the past year not the past 3 years, and if going over to visit them will mean you wont meet the income requirements for this year Im not sure how that will affect the situation.

Scott and Misty Offcial Webpage!

How does it happen, Great love?... Noone knows.. But I what I do know is it happens in a blink of an eye. One minutes your happily living your life and the next your wondering how you ever lived without them.

*I-129f sent* 10-31-2006

*I-129f recieved at VSC* 11-02-2006

*NOA1* 11-03-2006

*Check Cashed/Touched* 11-09-2006

*Touched* 11-15-2006

*Touched* 11-16-2006

*RFE email notice* 12-05-2006

*RFE snail mail* 12-11-2006

*RFE mailed back overnight* 12-12-2006

*RFE recieved VSC* 12-13-2006

*Touched* 12-14-2006

*Touched* 12-15-2006

*Touched* 12-18-2006

*Touched* 12-19-2006

*NOA2 email* 01-25-2007

*Touched* 01-26-2007

*Case Recieved at NVC* 01-29-2007

*Case Sent to London Embassy* 01-30-2007

*Fiance Recieves Packet 3* 02-10-2007

*Fiance Mails Back Packet 3* 02-12-2007

*Medical* 02-21-2007

*Mailed Packet 3 (2nd Time)* 03-09-07

*Delivery Confirmation Embassy Recieved it* 03-12-07

*Recieved Packet 4* 03-19-2007

*Interview Date* 04-20-2007 *APPROVED*

Soon to Come

*arrival in the US* 05-03-2007

*Official Marriage* 05-12-2007

*Big Wedding for Family/Friends* 7-14-2007

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

There is absolutely no restriction by the US government on the US Citizen visiting their fiance in the foreign country. I did read about a case where a US citizen nearly was refused entry into the UK by UK customs to visit their British fiance for similar reasons in the other direction, though this is rare.

The problem occurs when the foreign fiance tries coming to visit the USA, the American customs officer can and dose refuse entry if suspicion that the fiance will not return home to the foreign country and wait for the K-1 visa to be issued. It all has to do with immigration intent.

Visiting for 5 months wont hurt during the visa interview, it would show serious relationship. But visiting for 5 months may be impractical from the standpoint of work and financial support.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Thanks for any help!

I am sure that will help.. in fact... some people did it and it doesn't hurt anything...

You just have to make sure that you will meed the poverty level for the financial support...

I find it's harder to collect evidences of relationship... bcoz you are together everyday and you don't think about it... :lol:

Steve (WA,US) & Anne (SH,CN)

P1..............2004/10/04

P2..............2005/01/10

P3..............2005/04/07

P4..............2005/08/02

Interview.....2005/09/19

Married.......2005/10/29

Filed I-485...2005/12/17

RFE submit...2006/02/27

Interview......2006/08/31

Fingerprint....2006/09/07

wel letter......2006/09/19

I-551...........2006/10/02

Share my experiences with you, China-->U.S.

Check out my website : Click here

I am not an attorny, but someone did what you are doing or going to do.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

I travelled to stay with my fiance during the process. No problems with that, as noted by others. The only thing I'd add is to bring every piece of paper you can think of. Make sure you have someone checking your mail regularly and can get it to you. I was TDY with the military when I got an RFE. It was very challenging to collect needed information to respond when I wasn't at home. Fortunately had the forethought to have someone checking my mail who could scan and e-mail docs.

Just plan ahead an you should be fine.

20 Jan 06: Met

Interim: Fiance moves into my apartment in Korea

24 May 06 : Engaged

28 Jun 06 : Submitted K-1 Petition

30 Jun 30 : Went back To The States( Finish Of 1yr Assignment In Korea)

08 Jul 06 : NOA1

18 Aug 06 : Touch

26 Aug 06 : Visited my Fiance in Korea

03 Sept 06 : Had to go back to the USA again

19 Sept 06 : Touch

20 Sept 06 : Touch

02 Oct 06 : Mail Received From CIS ( RFE Has Been Sent)

13 Oct 06 : Received RFE From MAil

16 Oct 06 : Send Back RFE To CSC

17 Oct 06 : Check Tracking # Online Says RFE Has Been Pick Up By CSC!!!

Waiting.....

23 Oct 06 : Touch

24 Oct 06 : Got System Error Email From USCIS(RFE)

24 Oct 06 : Touch Again!!! Finally Got the Right Email( Confirmation Of RFE Being Received)

25 Oct 06 : Touch Again.....

26 Oct 06 : Touch.......(they like to TOUCH Us)

27 Oct 06 : Touch!!!

28 Oct 06 : Touch

31 Oct 06 : Fiance went to get Medical done in advance in Seoul

1 Nov 06 : Called USCIS and found out that NOA2 was mailed on 26 Oct 06

13 Nov 06: NVC Received Petition

15 Nov 06: NVC Approval and Mailed DHL to Seoul

21 Nov 06: US Embassy Seoul recieved petition from NCV, Fiance faxed in DS230 and Passport copy, Fiance requested interview date on-line and Packet 3 received from US Embassy Seoul

26 Nov 06: Recieved appointment letter

12 Dec 06: Interview at Embassy

We're Almost there!!! YES!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

You don't have to be in the US to start the K1 process. I did it from Thailand where I was living with my fiance for 2 1/2 years and had zero problems. We're waiting for her greencard now which we should have very soon...

12/15/2005 - Sent I-129F to Vermont Service Center

12/17/2005 - VSC receives I-129F via express courier (day 1)

12/23/2005 - VSC officially sends out NOA1 stating receipt

01/05/2006 - Called the National Service Center and got NOA1 receipt number.

01/10/2006 - NOA2 received via USCIS website and email. VSC is blazingly fast! (day 22!)

01/20/2006 - Receive NOA2 via snail mail in Thailand

01/26/2006 - Bangkok Embassy confirms our case is in their system (day 38)

01/30/2006 - Dropped off checklist and doc's with embassy

01/31/2006 - Received email from embassy confirming our interview date 3/20/06! Woohoo! (day 43)

02/08/2006 - Received police report and packet 4

03/01/2006 - Medical Exam completed

03/20/2006 - Interview! (day 91)- SUCCESS!

03/21/2006 - Picked up VISA!

04/04/2006 - Fly to USA together to get officially married in US and to start our life there together!

04/07/2006 - Arrived at JFK, C received temp EAD stamp. Drove to MD to live!

04/20/2006 - Applied for SS Card in maiden name, received it 3 days later

05/12/2006 - Officially married in the US! (2nd ceremony)

05/15/2006 - US Reception

05/16/2006 - Applied for new SS card with married name - Applied for EAD

06/01/2006 - Applied for AOS I-485

10/27/2006 - EAD Approved!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks for any help!

Using simply your passport upon entry into Argentina provides you with 90 days worth of time. If you plan a longer continuous stay then you will indeed have to "step out" for a period of time in order to reset the clock.

YMMV

Thanks for any help!

I dont think its ever been discouraged for the US citizen to travel to their fiancees country. Alot of people do it, I plan on doing it myself if the wait gets to be to much for me. Alot of people go to their fiancees interviews with them, while you wont be allowed in the actual room during the interview you can still go to the embassy with them. As far as not meeting the poverty lvl, I think you only have to be above the poverty line for the past year not the past 3 years, and if going over to visit them will mean you wont meet the income requirements for this year Im not sure how that will affect the situation.

Actually it depends on each individual embassy on whether the USC is allowed to attend the Visa interview. For instance in Manila I will go to the interview with my fiancee and sit right next to her. And from what I understand the CO will probably have a few questions for me too. :yes:

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

DEAN AND SHERYL

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

At the beginning of the process I lived 20 mins from my fiance. I lived on the US border and he lives on the Canada border. I visited daily due to closeness. It was a pain to go through the Canadian customs all of the time but nothing came up during the entire process about my visiting Canada everyday! :P

12/29/06-entered USA

1/03/07 Married

AOS JOURNEY BEGINS.....

1/4/07-mailed AOS/EAD

1/5/07-AOS/EAD received at Chicago Lockbox

1/13/07-NOA 1 (dated 1/9/07)

1/15/07-AOS/EAD touched

1/16/07-touched

1/22/07-touched

1/23/07-email stating rfe is coming :(

1/24/07-AOS/EAD touched

1/28/07-AOS touched

1/30/07-Biometrics appointment

1/31/07- mail RFE to Missouri

2/1/07-AOS/EAD touched

2/6/07-Processing on case resumes!!!

2/16/07-Transferred to California Service Center

2/20/07-Touched

2/26/07-Case pending at California Service Center

2/27/07-touched

3/2/07-touched

3/5/07-touched

3/8/07-touched

3/8/07-GREEN CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED!!!!! My wonderful birthday gift

3/14/07-Green card in hands

Note to self...... Lift conditions 12/08

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.