Memymine

bringing my brother in US-how long? how much?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

My brother, his wife and his four year old son would be interested in moving to US. I am a naturalized USC. What are the steps to file a petition for all of them?

I know that getting my citizenship was a long and expensive process. About how long it takes until my brother and his family could take his green card? About how much is the overall cost for everything?

If he applies for the visas lottery what kind of visa can he get?

Thanks

Filed: Other Timeline

Well what country are U from....it takes some countries 12 yrs or more

for sibling petition to get approved....based and that costs would be

spread out and affordable over that long period....however uscis is getting

ready to eliminate siblings being able to petition each other...so if that's

the plan U should at least start with your brothers petition asap...I

think U need a $420 check his photo, copy of your citizenship & both

of U BC....others will come along and address how to add the rest of

his family....good luck

He and his family live in Romania. Do I have to file for his wife and son separately? Do they all get green cards at the same time?

Do you think that lottery of visas could be easier or shorter?

I read a little about the new immigration laws, but I am not clear if we can't file for sibilings at all or they will be some changes in waiting times? What do you know about these changes?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

You currently can file for siblings. His wife and any minor children would get visas as well, but like it said above, there is a 12 year waiitnglist. The sibling category may be removed in the immigration law changes, so have him file asap.

Lottery only takes about a year if you win, so definitely worth a try- applying for it is free.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Someone from Romania will pipe in I hope soon...they are

fixing to eliminate any sibling filing maybe by end of 2013

I think (not sure) each petition is seperate

Incorrect. The OP does not file separately. The OP files a single petition for the brother. The brother's wife and child would be the derivative beneficiaries. (Furthermore, no one can file directly for an in-law or nephew. The OP cannot send in separate petitions for them.)

Immigration laws have not changed. All it is is discussion. The sibling category may not change at all.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The child would only get to come if they are still a child in 12 years ( or longer as there will be a rush of filings this year and the time line will surely extend way past the current mark )

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

after the 10-12 years(whatever it is) do they receive the green card or a type of visa? If it's green card, for how long is it valid? I see the petition is only 420 bucks. Is that all I have to pay through the entire process?

Does the lottery give them the green card? Does the lottery also help them find jobs?

Thanks

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

after the 10-12 years(whatever it is) do they receive the green card or a type of visa? If it's green card, for how long is it valid? I see the petition is only 420 bucks. Is that all I have to pay through the entire process?

Does the lottery give them the green card? Does the lottery also help them find jobs?

Thanks

They will receive immigration visas. Once they enter the US, they will get green cards.

Green cards are valid for 10 years.

You still have to pay for the I-864, DS-230 for each applicant, medicals, documents, etc.

If they win the lottery, then they can apply for immigration visas that becomes green cards when they immigrate.

They are on their own for jobs. The US government is letting them immigrate. The US does not help them find jobs.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The DV lottery is also on the chopping block, and chances of winning are very low. You must have a qualifying occupation/education to even apply. No matter the type of visa the US does not help with housing/jobs/moving

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.