canoer

Fiance living in US and has Green Card

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I hope this is the correct place to post this question.
My fiance is from Moldova and Is living and working here (US) and has her Green Card. We're wanting to start making plans for our wedding and we need to know what we need other than her Greenn Card to be able to marry. Your information would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

You will need to check with the laws of your state. She just needs ID of some sort, they will tell you what.

She needs nothing special from immigration.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Check your state and county to see what the requirements are. For immigration she won't need anything special unless she was on a conditional green card because of marriage. If she hadn't already, she'd need to remove the conditions of the green card before marrying again. If the green card was not marriage based or was a 10 year card, you should be good.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

State of Wisconsin has some of the strictest marriage laws in the country. We both had to prove that we were free to marry, and I as a resident had to get our marriage license in the exact country I was living in. If I didn't, would be subject to getting a $10,000.00 fine. But we were free to get married in any place in the world we chose.

Immigration wasn't even an issue and not even mentioned nor brought up. In practically in any other state, can fly to Las Vegas and get married in five minutes. Just get on the internet and you can learn about the laws in your state and county.

USCIS can be another issue depending on how your fiance came here, have to be more specific on this issue. If never married before, not a problem.

Filed: Timeline

I would like to thank all of you for your valuable information and taking the time to do this for me.

To answer a few questions. She was divorced in her country years ago and won the Green Card Lotto and relocated here several years ago. She speaks fluent English and is a civil engineer and is an awesome lady. She's definitely an asset to our community and will be a US Citizen in two more years.

After reading your post I called my county courthouse today. I was told all she needed was her Green Card and either anything US with her picture on it or a certified copy of her Birth Certificate. I asked if her Birth Certificate needed to be translated and the lady said no. She does have other US ID with her picture on it so I suppose we're good to go now.

I think just to be on the safe side we'll go to the court house next week so she can carry her documents and let them look at them for us.

Once again I thank all of you and I'll give an update after our trip to the court house.

Edited by canoer

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I assume youa are a US citizen, with your fiance she came here by other means rather than marrigage, has to wait five years minus 90 days to apply for US citizenship if she wants to. Doesn't make any difference to the USCIS whether she gets married or not, typically only a ten minute interview.

Yes, does ring some bells about bringing photo ID's to the court house to apply for a marriage license. I just used my driver's license, wife showed her foreign passport. Clerks were very nice, and wished us the best.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.