mrrobj

Confused? Embassy called & ask to return for some questions?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Totally confused and somewhat scared now.!! My fiance went to the US Embassy in Bangkok, Thailand on last thursday, June 5 to apply for an US Passport for our baby that was born in Thailand.

Went she went to the interview, everything seemed to be okay and in order after the interview. At the interview, she was initially screened by an individual that reviewed her paperwork and asked her a few questions. Thereafter, she was told by the embassy officer to wait 5 minutes and someone else will come and ask more questions.

My fiance waited 10 minutes and 2nd embassy official came and reviewed her paperwork. This officer also stated everything was in order and that she will issue the passport in (3) weeks. The embassy officer then joked with my fiance about the baby and then advised her to pay the post office to deliver the passport by mail. She declined the post office delivery and stated she would pick up the passport. They stated it was okay and gave her number to call and check when the passport was ready for pick up.

Just today, June 11, she received a call from the Embassy asking if she could return for "some questions" and asked if she could return today. She then asked if she could come next thursday, in 3 days, and then he stated "no problem, come at 1:00 pm on thursday".

She then attempted to ask him if it was a problem or if she did needed to bring some paperwork or the baby. The embassy official then told her, "no problem, we don't need to see baby or any paperwork, just to ask you some questions".

Has this happened to anybody before?

Is it possible they want to deny us the US Passport, but have to do this in person?

Or, could it be as simple as the Officer didn't ask enough questions? As previously reiterated, the second embassy official she talked with at the interview did not ask any questions, just reviewed the paperwork, stated it was order, asked her to sign (2) documents and then had her make statements under oath after she raised her hand.

Now, she has to return for more questions?

This whole process is nerve wrecking!

Wow!.....anybody experience anything similar or could think of what this could be about?

Please advise VJ Community.....

Edited by mrrobj

There is not really a lot of information here to make an informed answer.

You do not say what nationality you are or your fiance, if you have petition pending and the types of questions being asked of her.

All that can be said is for her to comply with the consular requests it may be something very innocent that they need to clarify

Timeline

There is not really a lot of information here to make an informed answer.

You do not say what nationality you are or your fiance, if you have petition pending and the types of questions being asked of her.

All that can be said is for her to comply with the consular requests it may be something very innocent that they need to clarify

Thanks for the response. I am US citizen and my fiance is a thai citizen. We applied for a CRBA and US passport for our 1 1/2 year old baby that was born in Thailand. When the Embassy called, they simply stated they wanted "ask more questiions", but to clarify any further.

Hopefully, as you say, it could be something very innocent.....

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

**** Moving from Bringing Family to CRBA ****

I see two possible issues:

1. You did not bring enough info that you, the USC, have had sufficient physical presence in the USA to give citizenship to your child born abroad.

2. They are in doubt that the child is yours, and may request a DNA test. This is quite common in some countries when mom and dad are not married.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

It would appear if they was going to decline for those reasons, then why would they initially approve it and say it is going to be issued? Moreover, wouldn't they have asked more evidence, if they felt the evidence was not sufficient at the time?

At the interview, the consular did not even look at the photos or additional hospital records we obtained.......but they did review the passport entry and exit stamps, thai birth certificate (with my name on it), my birth certificate, [certified school transcripts & social security history statement (to show 5 yrs physical presence).....and then stated it was in order.

I guess we will know everything tomorrow.....mind blowing.....

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

It is definitely odd. But it could be that a supervisor looked at it and went "hold on...". Or, there is a small chance that they got a call from a angry ex or someone throwing doubts on paternity. Of course, it is also possible (though unlikely), that the passport is ready for pick-up!

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

It would appear if they was going to decline for those reasons, then why would they initially approve it and say it is going to be issued? Moreover, wouldn't they have asked more evidence, if they felt the evidence was not sufficient at the time?

At the interview, the consular did not even look at the photos or additional hospital records we obtained.......but they did review the passport entry and exit stamps, thai birth certificate (with my name on it), my birth certificate, [certified school transcripts & social security history statement (to show 5 yrs physical presence).....and then stated it was in order.

I guess we will know everything tomorrow.....mind blowing.....

Hi, any news about ur application? Hope it all went well at the second interview.

Timeline

Yes, everything went okay!!! Thank God!!.....

Apparently, the consular failed to ask any questions during the initial interview but still needed some type of responses inputted into their system. She was advised that she did not need to bring the baby or any paperwork, but they had additional questions to ask her. She was advised to let the security know that she was asked to return and show her passport to gain entry into the Embassy.

After a 3 hour wait, she was interviewed by the same consular, who actually apologized for making her return. The consular asked her if she was aware that I had other children and when did we meet and how many times I came to visit her in Thailand. The consular informed her that it was commendable that I, (father) came forth and stated I was the father. She informed my fiance that I signed an affidavit to support the baby until the age of 18. She advised her that if she had any problem with financial support, that she could contact the Embassy and they would assist her in collecting child support, in the event our relationship ended for whatever reasons. The consuar inquired about our pending K1 visa application and asked her if she had an interview date yet.

The consular then assured her that everything was now complete and the US passport should be ready for pick-up in 2-3 weeks and thanked her for returning back to the embassy.

I was on pins and needles for the last 24 hours.....but glad it was positive outcome!!!

Thanks for the replies....

Edited by mrrobj

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.