Luke_1987

Looking to immigrate to the US from the UK, easiest option??

31 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Thanks so much for the information and replies so far. I am 26 and my girlfriend is 22. We have both finished University here in the UK so a student option may not be possible unless we apply for a masters there. Is the EB-5 a student visa or something else? I do know someone who lives in the US, would he be able to sponsor me and if so what would he need to do? He has been encouraging me to move out there as well. We went to college together in the UK and he has since married a girl in the US and moved out there.

I would be happy to take any job really if it would get me out there and then move on to a better one form there.

Any more help would be much appreciated.

Thanks smile.png

Sounds like your only option would be to find suitable employment, then, which you'll both need to do if you don't wish to marry and you are both looking to move to the US on a term longer than that allowed by a tourist visa.

Your friend cannot sponsor. He got there because he married an American girl, so he's in a family visa situation.

The EB5 is an investment visa and requires you to have a very large sum of money.

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Didn't edit in time, but the EB5 requires an investment into the US of $1000000 (or $500000 in worse-off parts of the US) and the guarantee that you'll create/ensure jobs for at least 10 USCs. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EB-5_visa

Also, to clarify on your friend - he can't sponsor you because you are not his immediate family, nor I assume is he an employer in a position to offer you a job. Sponsors are family, companies or institutions (like a school).

Immigrating to the USA is actually much harder than you might think it is - your friend is lucky, because he met an American and married - he pretty much chose the easiest option and probably has no idea how hard it is for others' to just pick up and relocate legally.

Edited by lost_at_sea

26th August 2016 - NOA1

7th June 2017 - Oath

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

If you win it, probably the DV is the easiest part.

OP said he did not want to go the work route, not sure why not.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

UK citizens generally don't get a shot at DV due to the amount of immigration from there already.

26th August 2016 - NOA1

7th June 2017 - Oath

Timeline

Some do, depends.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Some do, depends.

Could you elaborate on what circumstances a UK citizen is able to enter DV in a year when green cards to UK folks have already reached the quota to disqualify them? Seems that might useful to know! Thanks.

26th August 2016 - NOA1

7th June 2017 - Oath

Timeline

The obvious number one is if they are from Northern Ireland, amusingly Isle of Man are subject to the exclusion, must be a lot of Manx in the US.

The regulations are easily obtained.

Timeline

The large Indian Outsourcing companies are top of the list.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I am assuming you two are young, yes?

Get into Canada, go to school there together, get Bachelors degrees in Canada.

Then, when you got that, apply for masters program and scholarships for universities in the USA.

Once yer accepted, apply for student visa, then come in and study.

Canada is similar to USA for culture, so all of the things American? You'll get it in Canada, mostly.

Good Luck ! Let us know which path you choose, after you finish up yer research ?

This is completely off topic, but I think had my life went in another route, I would have wanted to immigrate to Canada instead. I ended up in the US because that's the country I chose to spend my exchange year in, but now that I look at it, Canada seems more stable to live in (sometime I wonder why people wanna live Canada instead of bringing their spouses there lol)

But either way, US is a great country and I'm blessed to be here and have my home here.

Edited by UK_Fan

event.png

Thanks agin for the feedback.

Does anyone know any companies that take on people from outside of the US?

I am starting to think that we may not be able to move at all to be honest as it does seem like our only way is to get a job.

It depends what you do for a living. What were your degrees in? What do you actually *want to do*? Skilled worker visas are different to, say, agricultural. Friends of mine who have moved to the US as workers (I'm a web dev, so are most of my friends) fall into the H1B category of worker and move because they find a job there, not because they wanted to move to the US per-say.

You should consider what sort of job you want to do, rather than taking any old thing just to move to the USA.

Work visa types: http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1275.html

26th August 2016 - NOA1

7th June 2017 - Oath

Timeline

I would have thought pretty much all major companies have, particularly in IT and Finance sectors.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My Degree is very much Health, Fitness and Coaching based, my girlfriends is English Literature and she works in publishing. Does that narrow it down at all? I am also experienced in PR/Client Relationships work which I currently do for a company called Computershare (stocks and shares).

I have had a look at agencies to see if they help at all but it seems you have to live in the USA before they will go near you.

Again all feedback would be helpful :)

Timeline

Publishing

That seems to be more freelancing nowadays but if she works for a multi national that may offer a transfer.

http://corporate.computershare.com/uk/about/globaloffices/Pages/overview.aspx

You seem to have lots of options

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.