Rasha

POE and IR-1 Questions

9 posts in this topic

HI all,

We have completed the entire process and hubby has his visa in hand. We tried to cross yesterday, and were honest in that we were not staying, that we just wanted to activate his visa and come back to make preparations to actually move. Well that didn't go over too well. They were extremely nice, but refused him entry until he is ready to move. Our issue is that we have only 4 weeks on his visa before it expires and there is no way we will let it expire and then reapply. Our issues mainly: kids are still in school, I am 6 months pregnant, and will not move until after the baby is born, when I am on Maternity leave. Also Hubby has many jobs now here in his field coming up, and he doesn't want to leave yet.

We had read that people did cross successfully and come back and then returned completely in a few months times.

What have others done? and specifically HOW did you do it? He is thinking to turn down his next contract and just go down our family's home, await his papers and return [though he doesn't need the card to travel, his passport will suffice.] He is a landed immigrant up here in Canada - not a citizen. We just want to activate the visa without causing much commotion, and given the first refusal across, don't want any issues.

thanks in advance for the advice.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

try the skyways instead of driving across . then take a bus back. no need to wait on green card arrival.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Darnell doesn’t take PMs anymore. I believe it is so VJ is more complete with questions & answers for later googling.

I wonder if you couldn’t use the contact form for Montréal and get the visa extended? Although they may make hubby re-do his medical.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I don't do PMs here.

Typically, you can find most answers to most questions using the advanced search tool.

If'n yer on a handphone, turn it off, get to a pc instead.

But lets see whats what, aye?

USCitizen not in USA - what issue at the POE at an airport when the Foreign spouse comes in and tries to activate the VISA?

USCitizen is pregnant and won't do the airplane flight at all.

What's this thing yer writing about, for instant turnaround? That's easy -- once he's at the POE, his VISA gets a new stamp, and with that stamp, his entire passport becomes a temporary green card, with a 1 year duration on it. He can turn around same day and leave back to Canada, no worries there. He doesn't have to 'wait in the family home in the USA for any papers' at all. His passport is 'his papers' for up to 1 year.

Would he have another chance at a land-crossing ? maybe - CBP goons work on shifts, so is possible he not get the same @sshat that turned him away the first time. It's a risk, it's a chance... You'll never know until he tries it again. I say it's worth it to try, come across on a bus with luggage on a friday afternoon..

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

I would just travel down to a land border crossing and don't say you're only activating it. Nothing is stopping you from travelling right back up again!

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Timeline

I would just travel down to a land border crossing and don't say you're only activating it. Nothing is stopping you from travelling right back up again!

An astute suggestion.

I read on here previously of someone that was refused entry from such an admission adn told to coem back to the border when they are really ready to emigrate.

Yeah that was us, we were denied last week. Don't tell them you are not moving there at that time!

Thanks Everyone. I am probably over analyzing this way more than need me. We aren't going to ask for an extension. We started this process in April of 2012. It's done, and we just need to roll with it.

My largest concern was that we are in Ottawa, and our home place is California. In order to cross does he need to actually have a ticket going to CA or could he be going to Miami for vacation [for example]? Do they even check the tickets?? Also I was not planning on going with him if he were to fly - but I would be stateside via car. so that technically I am in the US before him. He will have all of our family/friend contacts if they ask, and he has their addresses, phone numbers etc... I just don't know how technical they are or get.

I really don't wish to drive down with him as my car has Canadian plates and if we are 'moving' I would have to import the car at that time....I don't wish to immediately do that.

These were the types of questions I wanted to ask Darnell.

so basically, he shows at the border, he's moving, his wife is already in the us [which they may ask] and bingo, bango, he's done?

Edited by Rasha

You have to import the car if it's HIS car, not if it's YOUR car. You have 10 years in which to move your things from Canada to the USA. They can't force you to import the car at that time.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.