The Mean Lady

Getting Rabies Shots... For my Cat! Not my Husband!

10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

In the US, we can go to a petsmart on tuesdays and only pay for shots and they have a technician just do like mass waves of rabies shots so you don't have to pay for an actual Vet.

Is there anywhere up here that does something like that?

My cat hasn't seen a vet since I brought her up here in 2010 so I know I have to get her Rabies shot, but I really don't have the money to be paying for an actual vet visit.

oldlady.gif

In Canada as far as I know a vet has to do rabies. I could do most of my horses's shots on my own except that one.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

depending on where you live most of the SPCA etc will have a cheap day once a year with rabies only shots. I'd call the local spca in your city/ province and find out.

HWDWm6.png

Timeline

depending on where you live most of the SPCA etc will have a cheap day once a year with rabies only shots. I'd call the local spca in your city/ province and find out.

Not a bad idea, thanks!

I was able to stop by the petsmart today to ask about it, and the lady said she didn't think anyone in canada does anything like that

she was familiar with the one petsmart does in the US

this was a good idea though, i'm going to call monday.

Anyone have any idea what it will cost if I HAVE to see a vet?

I think the shot itself is like $30 in the US

oldlady.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Call up a vet and ask :-). It's been too long since I got mine done in Canada so I don't know current prices, but I do know that it can vary between vets. Also, you can check and see if there is a low cost spay/neuter clinic in your area. Sometimes they will also do low cost vaccinations.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

lmao i'm perfectly capable of calling and asking... when they're open!

I was more trying to get an idea until monday when businesses around here actually decide to cater to the community.

Great idea on the spay neuter clinic... but nothing around here =[

oldlady.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

In Canada as far as I know a vet has to do rabies. I could do most of my horses's shots on my own except that one.

Same in the US shot your cat/dog/horse/goat/sheep up for whatever but rabies is a regulated drug and it is accounted for.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline

Same in the US shot your cat/dog/horse/goat/sheep up for whatever but rabies is a regulated drug and it is accounted for.

Except in the US, a technician can do it at petsmart.

They are not vets.

They are just technicians.

My 17 year old sister was a technician at a pet store and gave rabies shots.

oldlady.gif

She wasn't actually a vet tech though (requires minimum 2 years of post secondary and a special exam.) However it may vary by state.

By who can give the rabies I mean.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.