6 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I am very sad to report that my USC husband and I will be getting a separation very soon. He just came to me a few weeks ago and said that he thinks that we are 2 very different people, doesn't know if we're compatible and doesn't even know if he wants to have kids with me anymore. He said that he's been thinking this way for a long time now, but I know him better than anyone and he's an open book, so I know that this is not true. I just got my greencard on August 25th and started working for the first time in 2 years on September 25th. Before coming to the U.S. I sold my car, quit my job and he convinced me to file for bankruptcy on my Canadian debt. I only found out once I was here that he was in MAJOR financial trouble. I think that he might have another "love" interest, but that's an entirely different story. What hurts me so much is that I gave-up everything for him, I don't think that he's ever appreciated it and now he's willing to throw it all away so easily and so quickly.

Now I have a few questions that I hope someone can help me answer. Can the affidavit of support still be enforced if I move back home to Canada? If not, can I possibly get spousal support from him at least until I find a job or something?!

I am very sad for everyone going thru this type of situation because it is not easy, especially being from another country. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you! :crying:

.png

09/24/04: Entered US as CDN visitor

11/20/04: Married in Las Vegas

03/10/06: Filed AOS

03/20/06: NOA 1 / I-130

03/21/06: NOA 1 / I-485

04/03/06: AOS Interview notice...05/11/06

04/05/06: Biometrics

05/11/06: AOS Interview....approved, pending FBI name check

05/12/06: I-130 approved

05/18/06: NOA 2 / I-130 approval

08/15/06: Email: 'Welcome to America' letter mailed (Day 151)!!!!

08/17/06: Email: I-485 approved & GC ordered

08/19/06: 'Welcome to America' letter rec'd

08/22/06: Email: Notice of approval mailed

08/25/06: GC Finally Received!!

05/15/08: Apply to remove conditions

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Sorry to hear the bad news.

No leaving the country long enough to be considered to be abandoning the LPR status, is one of the ways to terminate the obligation, and your working also reduces the obligation placed by that document.

You may want to consult a divorce attorney about other types of divorce settlements.

Good luck

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Sorry to hear the bad news.

No leaving the country long enough to be considered to be abandoning the LPR status, is one of the ways to terminate the obligation, and your working also reduces the obligation placed by that document.

You may want to consult a divorce attorney about other types of divorce settlements.

Good luck

See a divorce lawyer. When you get divorced, if you do, the court should order some alimony and a division of marital property. How much of course will depend on your financial situation at the vtime of the divorce. Only a lawyer skilled in that area can tell you what the probabilities will be.

filed 129 with vermont 4/19/06

first notice 5/3/06?

IMRA RFE 6/19/06

snail mail RFE 6/22/06

returned 6/22/06

email they recieved 6/26/06

second RFE email 7/11/06

recieved 7/22

returned 7/24

touched 7/25

APProved 10/02/06

NVC sent to Moscow 10/17/06

package from Embassy 11/17/06

interview 01/11/07

approved visa 01/11/07

arrived 02/7/07

married 04/13/07

filed AOS 05/13/07

biometrics 06/06/07

Filed: Timeline
I am very sad to report that my USC husband and I will be getting a separation very soon. He just came to me a few weeks ago and said that he thinks that we are 2 very different people, doesn't know if we're compatible and doesn't even know if he wants to have kids with me anymore. He said that he's been thinking this way for a long time now, but I know him better than anyone and he's an open book, so I know that this is not true. I just got my greencard on August 25th and started working for the first time in 2 years on September 25th. Before coming to the U.S. I sold my car, quit my job and he convinced me to file for bankruptcy on my Canadian debt. I only found out once I was here that he was in MAJOR financial trouble. I think that he might have another "love" interest, but that's an entirely different story. What hurts me so much is that I gave-up everything for him, I don't think that he's ever appreciated it and now he's willing to throw it all away so easily and so quickly.

Now I have a few questions that I hope someone can help me answer. Can the affidavit of support still be enforced if I move back home to Canada? If not, can I possibly get spousal support from him at least until I find a job or something?!

I am very sad for everyone going thru this type of situation because it is not easy, especially being from another country. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you! :crying:

I'd recommend a consultation with a family lawyer and consider your options and discuss what might ba a reasonable settlement from the termination of this marriage. Alimony from a short-term marriage is not a foregone conclusion, especially in light of the state of your financial affairs prior to marriage. More often than not, family courts attempt to return the parties to the status they were in prior to the marriage, when the parties have not been married long. That said, any appreciation in the marital estate is oftentimes divided equitably. Sounds to me like there isn't much to divide, though.

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Filed: Timeline

Ask a lawyer about 'detrimental reliance'...meaning you relied on his word to your detriment, and now that it's not working out, so to speak, you are the worse for it. In a roundabout way, it proves your good faith as you had more of a vested interest in it working as agreed.

I learned it in Business school, so I don't know if it is applicable in family law, but it's worth looking into.

Good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.