MarkYYC

RFE to established claimed relationship with deceased mother?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi guys

We got an RFE for our case (they looked at it, which is great news!) but they are requesting more information on the relationship that my fiancee (Lauralee) had with her mother. Her mother was American, and her father was Canadian, and Lauralee has a birth abroad certificate for her American citizenship.

USCIS stated that the birth abroad form was completed 3 years after she was born (which is true, it was done in 88 and she was born in 85). The problem though, is that her mother is now deceased, so hopefully this doesn't make it any harder.

Has anyone had an RFE like this before? Why would they need proof of this relationship, when Lauralee is already an American citizen, living and working in the US?

If anyone has any suggestions for evidence we could submit, that would be great! So far they listed hospital certificates, church certificates, residence documents, school records, photographs, correspondence, insurance policies, government papers, passports, deeds, social security records, census records, and affidavits (written legal statements), or DNA tests (clearly that's not an option anymore though)

Lauralee and her family were living in Canada until she was 18 though, so any of these items would be Canadian, not American. That should be ok, right?

Thanks for the help!

Mark

She should acquire her long form birth certificate from the province she was born in. That will state her parents names. If needed also include her mother's birth certificate stating where her mother was born as well and if needed (name change due to marriage) the marriage certificate between her mother and father.

That's how, IMO, I'd show my parent was my parent and how I derived my legal citizenship.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Wow- no I have not heard of that for the K1. Once the CRBA is obtained, that is usually it. I will put a link to this post in the CRBA forum so maybe some of our experts from there will weigh in.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Hi guys

We got an RFE for our case (they looked at it, which is great news!) but they are requesting more information on the relationship that my fiancee (Lauralee) had with her mother. Her mother was American, and her father was Canadian, and Lauralee has a birth abroad certificate for her American citizenship.

USCIS stated that the birth abroad form was completed 3 years after she was born (which is true, it was done in 88 and she was born in 85). The problem though, is that her mother is now deceased, so hopefully this doesn't make it any harder.

Has anyone had an RFE like this before? Why would they need proof of this relationship, when Lauralee is already an American citizen, living and working in the US?

If anyone has any suggestions for evidence we could submit, that would be great! So far they listed hospital certificates, church certificates, residence documents, school records, photographs, correspondence, insurance policies, government papers, passports, deeds, social security records, census records, and affidavits (written legal statements), or DNA tests (clearly that's not an option anymore though)

Lauralee and her family were living in Canada until she was 18 though, so any of these items would be Canadian, not American. That should be ok, right?

Thanks for the help!

Mark

What exactly word for word does the RFE say?

Perhaps, speculatively speaking. USCIS question (RFE) is one of “Transmission Requirement” on the U.S.C. Parent, deceased mother? As Penguin stated “Once the CRBA is obtained, that is usually it.” Usually. As for suggestions of evidence the OP could submit, NikiR suggestions are a good start.

'PAU' both wife and daughter in the U.S. 08/25/2009

Daughter's' CRBA Manila Embassy 08/07/2008 dual citizenship

http://crbausembassy....wordpress.com/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.