i-hope

B2 visa letter for the Consular Officer

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

okey i changed the letter, i will just stay that he will accompany my father

Dear Consular Officer,

I am a permanent residence alien, living in the USA for the past 19 years. My annual gross income is 41,569

I would like to invite my nephew, to visit me and accompany my father who is visiting me also during his visit, my father is 84 old.

He will be staying with me at my home at the above-mentioned address for 2 months. During his stay in the United States, I will bear all his responsibilities including, but not limited to, financial responsibilities round trip airfare from …….., travel expense within the USA, housing and food.

I will personally guarantee that he will leave the United States after his short visit and will not become a public charge on the part of the United States government.

My nephew is law graduate, and got his certificate to practice as lawyer, he is in awaiting to take oath, expected in September 2013 after his trip, and have a job contract from the law office …..

Your favorable decision on the visitor visa will be appreciated

Sincerely

I am not American, and therefore have a passable grasp of geography.

Algeria is not an easy Consulate to get a Visitor Visa from for obvious reasons. No harm in giving it a go.

What sort of job does the Nephew have that allows him such a long vacation?

he just finished his study of law, and awaiting to make oath to be a lawyer, ( he will take oath on September) and he have a work contract where he will be working after his oath

Taking care of somebody, providing assistance in any way, is considered work...something that is not allowed for B2 visa holders...the VOs don't care what the reason is for GOING to the US; they only care about the reasons for LEAVING the US (and not violating the terms of the visa class being sought)...if no one accompanied said elderly relative, then somebody in the US would have to PAY for some sort of care...which is.....work. Game over.

More than likely the nephew will be denied, but if miraculously approved, he will be in AP for months, given his nationality.

okey i understand, you're objective, what do you suggest ? cancel his appointment ?

no....just don't be surprised if his application is denied.....again, work contracts from some foreign country have absolutely no value...they are not enforceable, there is no penalty that will befall said nephew if he fails to return and take up whatever employment might have been offered to him...such a piece of paper can easily be manufactured locally....and it is not legally binding upon him.

I don't have a solution that is guaranteed to work...all I have said is that letters whose purpose is to somehow dissuade the VOs from applying the standards of 214b are not worth anything.....promises made by anyone on behalf of a visa applicant are not legally binding and therefore not considered. He will just have to do the convincing himself, for that reason. A lot of people place (or misplace!) value on these types of letters, notarized or not (a notary stamp merely acknowledges the identity of the person who signed said document; it does not make that document any more credible than it was, nor make the contents suddenly the rule of law), but in reality, they are pretty much worthless. Remember, generally speaking, the VOs don't care why someone wants to go; only why they will return.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

okey i changed the letter, i will just stay that he will accompany my father

Dear Consular Officer,

I am a permanent residence alien, living in the USA for the past 19 years. My annual gross income is 41,569

I would like to invite my nephew, to visit me and accompany my father who is visiting me also during his visit, my father is 84 old.

He will be staying with me at my home at the above-mentioned address for 2 months. During his stay in the United States, I will bear all his responsibilities including, but not limited to, financial responsibilities round trip airfare from …….., travel expense within the USA, housing and food.

I will personally guarantee that he will leave the United States after his short visit and will not become a public charge on the part of the United States government.

My nephew is law graduate, and got his certificate to practice as lawyer, he is in awaiting to take oath, expected in September 2013 after his trip, and have a job contract from the law office …..

Your favorable decision on the visitor visa will be appreciated

Sincerely

Does your father already have his tourist visa?

The value in this letter is in the fact that by doing this you will feel that you did everything you could to help present the case facts. I am not a fan of doing this in most cases but here we have an 80 year old that needs some assistance throughout the trip, during the visit AND to assist in his return.

Your nephew should submit any proof he has about his future job and ANYTHING else he can that PROVES he must return. Owning land, houses, businesses, family ect.

No one here can offer you a fail safe method for this. We all know the only way to really know is to pay the fee and try. I agree that Algeria is going to be very difficult at best.

Does your father already have his tourist visa?

The value in this letter is in the fact that by doing this you will feel that you did everything you could to help present the case facts. I am not a fan of doing this in most cases but here we have an 80 year old that needs some assistance throughout the trip, during the visit AND to assist in his return.

Your nephew should submit any proof he has about his future job and ANYTHING else he can that PROVES he must return. Owning land, houses, businesses, family ect.

No one here can offer you a fail safe method for this. We all know the only way to really know is to pay the fee and try. I agree that Algeria is going to be very difficult at best.

yes he have his visa

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

Your nephew should emphasize on why he is currently able to go for two months on a vacation to the US. He should point out things like he's been studying for x-amount of years and is now finished. This gives him the chance to take some off time and start a new job/take an oath in September 2013.

Also showing the consular officer how he will support himself financialy on his trip will help alot. If he has a girlfriend, he can show past and recent photos that they are together, and he really wants to return to her (also stating if his parents live in Algeria, and other family etc. he wants to go back to). Like other posters already wrote, they want reasons for him to want to leave the US. The reason going there is not the main issue.

It's amazing how many questions can be resolved with a 2 minute Google search...

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

yes he have his visa

The fact that the father has his tourist visa indicates its possible to get one. I have seen many cases where older people are issued visas because its easier to prove they must return. I wouldn't think many 80 year olds want to immigrate to another country where the culture ect is totally different.

Using this as a reason for the nephew to need to go should take care of why he even wants to go. It also indicates why he would need to return or at least its one valid reason. If the father needs help getting there he will need the same for the return.

The problem in this and all of these tourist visa cases is complying with the strongest ties rule. It must be proven that the ties to his own country are stronger than they would be to the USA. Proven is the key. There is no chance to tell long stories ect. This proof should be submitted in written form to ensure the officer reads it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.