MeenaBeena

Help please...last minute change

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hello everyone...

I am leaving to go to Morocco in 10 days. I was originally going to get married then, I started reading here how long it takes to get a spouse into the US. I sat and cried for 2 days. I have 4 children and they are very attached to him. They talk to him online and on the phone. They mail him things and such, so there is no way I can imagine making them wait that long. It is hard enough for me to wait that long much less children. That is when I noticed that if you apply for a K-1 it seems to take a lot less time then a K-3. Can you tell me if what I have read is true? Will it be a shorter time if we decide to go the way of K-1 instead? If we do, can you tell me is there anything I need to do while I am there. I feel so lost....as everything seems to be changing at the last minute. I am overwhelmed, scared and lost.

He lives in Casablanca and is a student. He has family there and two brothers here. So he has family both places. Do they consider this a risk when issuing a K-1? I live in Missouri. How do I tell what the time length is for the K-1 in my area?

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Dawnnette

Met online --- 2/06
Decided he was the one--- 6/06
Traveled to Morocco--- 12/06
Traveled to Morocco--- 4/07

Filed I-129F--- 6/11/07
Received--- 6/12/07----USPS verified Lincoln, Nebraska
NOA1 date--- 6/22/07
Check cashed--- 6/27/07
Touched--- 6/27/07
NOA1 in the mail--- 6/28/07--- Transfered to CSC
Touched--- 7/12/07
Touched--- 8/08/07 Phone Call
Touched--- 8/09/07
Touched--- 8/10/07
Touched--- 8/12/07
Touched--- 8/13/07
Touched--- 8/22/07 Phone Call
Touched--- 8/23/07
NOA2------ 10/26/07 per website
Touched--- 10/28/2007
Touched--- 10/29/2007
Touched--- 10/30/2007
Touched--- 10/31/2007
Touched--- 11/01/2007
Touched--- 11/01/2007
NOA2 in the mail-- 11/02/2007
Touched--- 11/02/2007===what is up with the touches????..

Packet 3 & 4-- 12/18/2007
Interview Date-- 01/14/2007

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

A quick timeline search for average times of K1 vs. K3 through Morocco shows a K1 at 177 days vs. a K3 at 213 days. This would imply that, on average, a K1 is faster. Keep in mind though that every case is different, and any given K1 petition could potentially take longer than a K3. Click on Immigration Timelines and you can do your own searches by service center if you wish.

The fact that he has family already here in the US *could* be a red flag in your case. Casablanca is a tough consulate. I would suggest that you check out the Middle East/North Africa forum. There are many people going through Casablanca and you can get some great advice there!

Best of luck to you on your journey! (F)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Casa is a crazy place to get a visa through. Some of our members get approvals very quickly - months after filing. Some wait more than a year. Some have their visas denied, and then must go through a tortuous process to file again or appeal.

My best advice - patience. Your wait could be months, or it could be longer. There isn't anything you can do, other than make sure all your ducks are in a row, and you can prove your relationship is valid.

Certainly, the visa process is stressful, but as someone who has been there, done that, getting too upset doesn't help anything. Plus, the patience you learn will come in very very handy when you have to deal with the adjustment of status process once your sweetie arrives, and all the cultural differences you'll most likely encounter.

Good luck.

edited to add - Ah nuts, Jenn, the "helpful" one, got here before me lol.

Edited by rahma

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hello everyone...

I am leaving to go to Morocco in 10 days. I was originally going to get married then, I started reading here how long it takes to get a spouse into the US. I sat and cried for 2 days. I have 4 children and they are very attached to him. They talk to him online and on the phone. They mail him things and such, so there is no way I can imagine making them wait that long. It is hard enough for me to wait that long much less children. That is when I noticed that if you apply for a K-1 it seems to take a lot less time then a K-3. Can you tell me if what I have read is true? Will it be a shorter time if we decide to go the way of K-1 instead? If we do, can you tell me is there anything I need to do while I am there. I feel so lost....as everything seems to be changing at the last minute. I am overwhelmed, scared and lost.

He lives in Casablanca and is a student. He has family there and two brothers here. So he has family both places. Do they consider this a risk when issuing a K-1? I live in Missouri. How do I tell what the time length is for the K-1 in my area?

Dawnnette

You should look at the Guides on this site, they're pretty informative.

You can check the timelines yourself, but I think the K1 and K3 are running about the same length these days, with the K1 being only slightly shorter. If you get married on your trip there you will have to do a K3.

If you decide to go for a K1, make sure to get photos of you together on your trip, and save all your trip receipts, boarding passes, everything! For the K1 you have to show evidence that you met within 2 years.

Since you are just going there now, plan for a total 1 year journey. You might get lucky and do it in less.

I don't think his family situation is a risk, if he never violated any any immigration laws.

Timeline

Also something to be considered when thinking about getting married in Morocco is how much time you'll spend running around in order to get married. I think I remember someone saying it took a considerable amount of time (many days, maybe more than a week). The logistics seemed to me nightmarish.

I am not sure if you've spent time with your fiance before, but if this is your first visit, maybe consider just spending time together, seeing if you click, rather than add lots of stress in getting married rush rush.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Timeline
Also something to be considered when thinking about getting married in Morocco is how much time you'll spend running around in order to get married. I think I remember someone saying it took a considerable amount of time (many days, maybe more than a week). The logistics seemed to me nightmarish.

I am not sure if you've spent time with your fiance before, but if this is your first visit, maybe consider just spending time together, seeing if you click, rather than add lots of stress in getting married rush rush.

Good advice.

Also, marrying after a brief courtship can be seen as a red flag. And Casablanca is always on the lookout for those.

Filed: Timeline

Dawnette,

As other poster's have noted, the consular section in Morocco can be difficult - it's a high fraud post.

You have 4 children and your fiance is a student...... I think you should worry less about which K visa is 'faster' and worry more about how your fiance is going to demonstrate that his interest in you is more than a ticket to LPR status. Find an immigration attorney who has experience dealing with the consular section in Morocco and review the details of your situation with them.

Yodrak

Hello everyone...

Dawnnette

Timeline

:lol:

Why does everyone keep putting helpful in quotes? :unsure::P

:lol: You really are helpful. Those going through Casa are lucky to have you :thumbs:

irhal.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I agree... Rachid and I first tried to get married in Morocco but it did not work out that way... things work out the way they are suppose to.. it does take alot of your time to get married in Morocco.. I would have rather spent that time relaxing with Rachid and his family...

Timeline

:lol:

Why does everyone keep putting helpful in quotes? :unsure::P

:lol: You really are helpful. Those going through Casa are lucky to have you :thumbs:

aww, shucks! :luv:

Timeline
Dawnette,

As other poster's have noted, the consular section in Morocco can be difficult - it's a high fraud post.

You have 4 children and your fiance is a student...... I think you should worry less about which K visa is 'faster' and worry more about how your fiance is going to demonstrate that his interest in you is more than a ticket to LPR status. Find an immigration attorney who has experience dealing with the consular section in Morocco and review the details of your situation with them.

Yodrak

Hello everyone...

Dawnnette

We have known each other a year. I did not agree to marry him until June. I was given the choice where I wanted to live...in Morocco or in the US. As I am an only child and the only grandchild that grew up near my grandparents (they are getting older and are ill) I picked living here at least as long as my grandparents are alive. I have chat logs from June until now saved. I doubt after reading then anyone can doubt that there is a relationship there. I could be wrong though...Plus there are letters and the relationship that I have with his family there and here. My relationship with his family is one of the reasons we are as we are. Between our families and our religion that is what brought us together. I don't know how you explain that to someone, or show someone on paper that. And I guess I didn't expect someone here to think he had bad intentions toward me. The funny thing is he says he will wait however long he has to wait for us to be a family. I cry because my daughter woke up crying the other night thinking he would never come. So it is me that is more concerned with how quickly he will get here.

Dawnnette

Met online --- 2/06

Filed I-129F--- 6/11/07
NOA1 date--- 6/22/07
Check cashed--- 6/27/07
Touched--- 6/27/07
Touched--- 7/12/07
Touched--- 8/09/07
Touched--- 8/10/07
Touched--- 8/12/07
Touched--- 8/13/07
Touched--- 8/23/07
Touched--- 10/28/2007
Touched--- 10/29/2007
Touched--- 10/30/2007
Touched--- 10/31/2007
Touched--- 11/01/2007
Touched--- 11/01/2007

Timeline
And I guess I didn't expect someone here to think he had bad intentions toward me.

I don't think it was anyone's intention to imply that. No one here could possible know and it's not important what anyone here thinks anyway. What is important is how the interviewing officer in Casablanca views your case. They are constantly on the lookout for things that might suggest fraud, so you need to make sure you are aware of anything in your case that might be a red flag for fraud so that you can supply adequate proof to the contrary.

Timeline

And I guess I didn't expect someone here to think he had bad intentions toward me.

I don't think it was anyone's intention to imply that. No one here could possible know and it's not important what anyone here thinks anyway. What is important is how the interviewing officer in Casablanca views your case. They are constantly on the lookout for things that might suggest fraud, so you need to make sure you are aware of anything in your case that might be a red flag for fraud so that you can supply adequate proof to the contrary.

LOL at this point I am afraid if I wear green on Wednesday it is going to be a red flag LOL It is very upsetting to think things are going to be one way for several months and then find out that might not be the best way. And when I tell him all he will say is, "Hbiba it will be okay." LOL I know he is trying to help when he says that but I just get scared. I know I have never done anything wrong and he hasn't either...and that we are really together but it is up to someone else to decide that. I guess everyone here has gone through that though so I don't have to explain that feeling.

Met online --- 2/06

Filed I-129F--- 6/11/07
NOA1 date--- 6/22/07
Check cashed--- 6/27/07
Touched--- 6/27/07
Touched--- 7/12/07
Touched--- 8/09/07
Touched--- 8/10/07
Touched--- 8/12/07
Touched--- 8/13/07
Touched--- 8/23/07
Touched--- 10/28/2007
Touched--- 10/29/2007
Touched--- 10/30/2007
Touched--- 10/31/2007
Touched--- 11/01/2007
Touched--- 11/01/2007

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
We have known each other a year. I did not agree to marry him until June. I was given the choice where I wanted to live...in Morocco or in the US. As I am an only child and the only grandchild that grew up near my grandparents (they are getting older and are ill) I picked living here at least as long as my grandparents are alive. I have chat logs from June until now saved. I doubt after reading then anyone can doubt that there is a relationship there. I could be wrong though...Plus there are letters and the relationship that I have with his family there and here. My relationship with his family is one of the reasons we are as we are. Between our families and our religion that is what brought us together. I don't know how you explain that to someone, or show someone on paper that. And I guess I didn't expect someone here to think he had bad intentions toward me. The funny thing is he says he will wait however long he has to wait for us to be a family. I cry because my daughter woke up crying the other night thinking he would never come. So it is me that is more concerned with how quickly he will get here.

Dawnnette

Have you met him in person at least once within the last 2 years? You cannot file for a K1 without doing that.

Sept 10 I-129F sent to TSC

Interview - February 13th APPROVED! day 152

April 6 - wedding date day 204

Aug 22 - AOS interview date day 101-total days 342

Sept 29 - green card arrives, done until June 2008 day 140-total days 381

June 30 - I-751 mailed total days 1025

March 9 - Removal of Conditions approved! total days 1277

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.