ivan.escalona

Advise regarding my fiancee

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Im from Venezuela, I was selected on the DV lottery for further processing under the number SA0006xx or something.... Im finishing my studies in college and was planning on marrying my girlfriend from Mexico next year after I got settled there in Mexico, but since I have the chance on going and have the US residence my plans are changing and want to get settled there and marry her.

Many people have told me that if I do get the greencard, then I could only bring her back to the US when I get the citizenship in 5 years or so and that prior to that, unless she applies for student Visa or working Visa or something like that, then chances are that we can't live together (married or not) in the US unless she comes and goes with a turist Visa she has.

Hence to correct this situation I have been told that I could get married before my interview at the embassy and that we apply together for the immigrant Visa. Is that correct? Is that the only choice? Because I do want to get married with her. But I don't want to have to wait 5+ years so that she can come and marry me and we can live together in the US.

Any insights on this?

Also... Whats the deadline to send the forms and pictures and stuff to KCC???

Thanks in advance!!

Yes, your best course is to marry her before your interview. Bear in mind they are suspicious of marriages that take place after selection, so take evidence that you have a bona fide relationship with to the interview.

There's no deadline per se but you should get your forms in a few months before your expected interview date, which is hard to predict but depends on your case number. You can either marry first and send all forms in, or you can send yours in and then update your case by sending in a DS230 for her after marriage. If you do the latter it might be worth sending an addendum with your initial forms that you have marriage plans in progress, to help preempt later suspicion that it's a sham marriage ( though I imagine you will still be closely questioned about the marriage at the interview ).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Hola Ivan!

La verdad que tu mejor opcion es casarte ANTES de que apliques para que te entreguen tu green card. Los green card holders si se les permite reagrupacion familiar pero la lista de espera para esposos es de 3 anos. Y como no eres ciudadano americano no cumples con los requisito de una visa de prometida o de esposo.

Lo mas realista en cuestion de opciones pudiese ser una visa de estudiante pero tendria que tener la universidad, y minimo un programa de 5 anos para que no quede fuera de status. Una visa de trabajo es muy complicada porque necesitaria un sponsor empleador, y este, debe justificar ante el gobierno de los estados unidos, que no hay nadie aqui que pueda hacer el trabajo.

La visa de turista no es una opcion porque ok ella puede entrar, pero en lo que se venza su i94 va a estar completamente ilegal.

Tengo el caso de una pareja de amigos donde el es green card holder y ella visa de turista. Estando estudiando se conocieron, se enamoraron y casaron. El puede aplicar por la ciudadania el ano que viene. Ella va a tener que esperarse todo ese tiempo para que el pueda pedir su residencia legal, de lo contrario la lista de espera para residenciar esposo/a de residentes es de 3 anos aproximadamente.

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

YIRsm4.png   Mi1Gm4.pngTh37m4.png    

2013                                                  2014                                                     2015

fNidm5.png NXDpm4.png    VaECm4.png 

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

Timeline

Yes, your best course is to marry her before your interview. Bear in mind they are suspicious of marriages that take place after selection, so take evidence that you have a bona fide relationship with to the interview.

There's no deadline per se but you should get your forms in a few months before your expected interview date, which is hard to predict but depends on your case number. You can either marry first and send all forms in, or you can send yours in and then update your case by sending in a DS230 for her after marriage. If you do the latter it might be worth sending an addendum with your initial forms that you have marriage plans in progress, to help preempt later suspicion that it's a sham marriage ( though I imagine you will still be closely questioned about the marriage at the interview ).

SusieQQQ thank you so much for the quick and accurate response!! Yes, indeed we have been in a relationship for almost 5 years now, looking forward to me finishing studies so that we could get married.

I have to ask you another question. Which documentation would be useful as evidence that we have a bona fide relationship? I can only come with passports certifying travels to Mexico and her to Venezuela and one trip we took to India together, what else could we show to aid our case? Also there is a good chance that we wont be able to live together by the time of the interview (you know.. recently graduated students... and Venezuela is not the best place) but we were indeed planning to be either in Mexico or Venezuela. So any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Timeline

Hola Ivan!

La verdad que tu mejor opcion es casarte ANTES de que apliques para que te entreguen tu green card. Los green card holders si se les permite reagrupacion familiar pero la lista de espera para esposos es de 3 anos. Y como no eres ciudadano americano no cumples con los requisito de una visa de prometida o de esposo.

Lo mas realista en cuestion de opciones pudiese ser una visa de estudiante pero tendria que tener la universidad, y minimo un programa de 5 anos para que no quede fuera de status. Una visa de trabajo es muy complicada porque necesitaria un sponsor empleador, y este, debe justificar ante el gobierno de los estados unidos, que no hay nadie aqui que pueda hacer el trabajo.

La visa de turista no es una opcion porque ok ella puede entrar, pero en lo que se venza su i94 va a estar completamente ilegal.

Tengo el caso de una pareja de amigos donde el es green card holder y ella visa de turista. Estando estudiando se conocieron, se enamoraron y casaron. El puede aplicar por la ciudadania el ano que viene. Ella va a tener que esperarse todo ese tiempo para que el pueda pedir su residencia legal, de lo contrario la lista de espera para residenciar esposo/a de residentes es de 3 anos aproximadamente.

Gracias por los consejos!! Muy muy apreciados! :) creo que en definitiva eso haré porque no creo que sea factible que ella consiga una visa de estudiante (ademas que la idea no es que ella esté estudiando por allá en USA) y bueno, no quiero esperar 5+ años para casarnos. Gracias! Algún otro consejo?

SusieQQQ thank you so much for the quick and accurate response!! Yes, indeed we have been in a relationship for almost 5 years now, looking forward to me finishing studies so that we could get married.

I have to ask you another question. Which documentation would be useful as evidence that we have a bona fide relationship? I can only come with passports certifying travels to Mexico and her to Venezuela and one trip we took to India together, what else could we show to aid our case? Also there is a good chance that we wont be able to live together by the time of the interview (you know.. recently graduated students... and Venezuela is not the best place) but we were indeed planning to be either in Mexico or Venezuela. So any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

The passports would be useful, photos of you together in different places, photos from your wedding, maybe copies of dated emails or letters you sent each other. From what I understand they will also interview you separately about each other. But as your relationship is longterm and genuine I'm sure you will be fine!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

****** English only outside the regional forums please! If you want to write in a different language, you may do so in the Regional forums ****

Hola Ivan!

La verdad que tu mejor opcion es casarte ANTES de que apliques para que te entreguen tu green card. Los green card holders si se les permite reagrupacion familiar pero la lista de espera para esposos es de 3 anos. Y como no eres ciudadano americano no cumples con los requisito de una visa de prometida o de esposo......

Gracias por los consejos!! Muy muy apreciados! smile.png ......

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

hi all!! i have some questions regarding another post and I thought that since they offer the KCC email address I might as well clear these couple of doubts with them. Would that be advisable?? or is this email address not for that purpose???

Timeline

this is somewhat how it would go. any thoughts?....

Dear kentucky consular center,

Im from Venezuela and I Was selected for further processing on 2014 DV Lottery by the case number 2014SA000xxxxx. I am currently arranging all the details following each step you provided us in the webpages. I have some doubts regarding to my particular situation upon which I elaborate below:

1) I'm currently with plans to marry my girlfriend in the next couple of months and hence im hoping to include her as family which will be joining me to the states in case that I get the immigrant visa.

She is mexican and I have come to know that mexicans are not eligible for DV DIVERSITY program, but since Im the main applicant and Im from Venezuela would she be able to benefit from my immigration visa (in case I was granted it)?

2) As part of the marriage I intend to go and live in Mexico after marrying her. Could we go for the interview in the mexican embassy (or even Monterrey, Nuevo Leon consular office)? If thats the case, which documents should I get to the interview? Venezuelan or Mexican??

3) If we have to do the interview in Caracas, Venezuela. Would my wife have to use her Mexican documents? Or would she need Venezuelan documents?

4) I'm finishing college soon (presentingy thesis on july tops and mandatory social service during summertime), yet official graduation documents will only be avilable as soon as february 2014. Since there is a chance that my interview for immigration visa would happen prior to my graduation and hence before getting the official degree Im asking you what should I write on my DS-230 & DS-122 on the fields about education level? Im writting "college no degree" on form DS-122 and putting an estimate finishing date of february 2014 for my college education. I did the same in form DS-230. Would that be alright? Or should I write something different?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.