Messybrownhair

Nightmare Infopass Appt

5 posts in this topic

I had a terrible experience today! This is my background:

March 18th- sent ROC packet

March 25- got BIO letter, never got noa1

(I opened a po box for ROC because I was planning to move 3x this year, I thought it would help.. but it turns out they returned my noa1 because it needed a signature or basically someone stupidly returned it :( Anyway I asked for it to be resent and they wouldnt because it was returned, and I was told to make an infopass apt.. so I did and I scheduled it for the Monday after graduation)

Today at my appt, here's what happened:

Me: Hi, I have recently applied for ROC and I got my biometrics letter and never got my NOA1 that extends my GC for 1 year so I was told by the people on the phone that I could just get a stamp on my passport instead

Lady: Well I need that extension letter to give you the stamp

Me: If I had the extension letter then I wouldn't be here... I have my biometrics letter, that's all I got

Lady: Did you have it resent?

Me: Yes, and they wouldn't. They told me to come here

Lady: Call them back and tell them to resend it

Me: Can't I just get a stamp? I am traveling in two weeks

Lady: That's not my problem. You shouldn't have booked your ticket, besides why did you wait two months to come here? Also I need to see that noa1 letter so I know that you paid.

Me: Because I was doing an internship at a hospital. I'm a full-time grad student and I just graduated last Friday. Of course I paid, here is my biometrics letter

Lady: I can't give you that stamp. The biometrics letter doesnt prove you paid. And what if thats fake.

Me: (Showing her my Pennsylvania Teaching certificate application) Well in order for me to start my job, I also need to show them the I551 stamp (Luckily, they really did ask for a copy of GC/ stamp) and so I really need this or I cant start working.

Lady: (asked all kinds of questions about my job etc and where I'm from, asking why I have a PO box, etc..)

Me: (explained my story.. used to live w/ in-laws, now living in college housing but moving back with inlaws then moving out again when husband returns from deployment)

Lady: asked to see deployment orders

Finally she took all my documents and 15 minutes later came back with the stamp and told me that she checked everything and all I said was true (duh!)

However, she took my old green card, said I didn't need it anymore because I had the 1 yr stamp.. I couldn't argue anymore...

Also she wrote all kinds of things on my passport page at the bottom of the stamp, like my alien number, case number, said i filed i751 and missing i797 and needs to file ar-11 due to multiple addresses

will this affect how i travel? i called uscis and spoke to a tier 2 officer she said as long as i have the stamp i am fine, it doesnt matter what the officer wrote, those are just notes she said. i am so worried!

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Sorry messy, what a pain.

You are fine to travel though, with the stamp. It sounds like the person wanted to justify why they gave you the stamp which is silly, but that's what the notations are for.

I would figure out the address thing when you have time. Good luck.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

I had always heard you were supposed to keep the green card and letter together on you.

England.gif England!

And in this crazy life, and through these crazy times

It's you, it's you, You make me sing.

You're every line, you're every word, you're everything.

b0cb1a39c4.png

ROC Timeline

Sent: 7/21/12

NOA1: 7/23/12

Touch: 7/24/2012

Biometrics: 8/24/2012

Card Production Ordered: 3/6/2013

*Eligible for Naturalization: October 13, 2013*

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I would ask for a replacement letter, call and ask for a tier 2 iso. Your husband is military he can request assistance and their is a military help line.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.