jezyk

about to prepare documents for I-751...preliminary questions

17 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

Hello everyone. My wife currently has her AOS (2-year GC) and we're due to submit the I-751 application shortly. I've been reading through as much info as I can and still have a few uncertain points that I'd like to understand.

- I am under the impression that almost everyone that files AOS requires an interview. There are also interviews for the I-751 stage but what's the rate of this happening? About 50% of applicants are subjected to interview? More or less? And is it done randomly or based on credibility of supporting documents submitted?

- I see photos are considered good evidence to submit in the application. But what if there are tons of photos? Do we send a photo album in with the application?

- We don't have any assets nor children. I see these are considered very strong evidence. The reason we don't have either is because of our meager income and attempting either will definitely put a big financial strain on us. Would they consider this as acceptable and if so, should we address it? We hope they can look past this and don't consider us as having good faith in marriage because we don't have a house nor kids.

- Let's say we submit the application on exactly the 90 days prior to the temp GC expiring. How do we know if everything is ok before the 90 days is up? I think there is a website to check the status. But as long as there is a status on the site, we don't have to worry about anything, right? I ask because there could be a chance that something goes wrong and they claim they don't have everything.

- She never updated her passport to include her marital name. We hope to do it soon and (I think it takes about 3 months) was wondering if it will conflict with the I-751 application (which we will submit in 2 months).

1. Less than 1% I'd say have an interview for ROC.

2. Photos aren't really good. Definitely don't send an album. If you want to send some, send less than 10 photos.

3. That's fine.

4. You need to file within the 90 days, not at exactly 90 days. 80 days, 70 days, etc, all is fine. You will know it;s accepted when they cash the check and send you an extension letter. Online will not show up until you have your biometrics (and you have to use the file number on the bio notice, not the NOA1).

5. She doesn't have to change her name. If she wants your name then apply for the new GC in the married name.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Thanks for your input Harpa!

I'm in the process of filling out paperwork and finding supporting evidence.

I assume making photocopies of our bills, credit cards, holiday cards, etc...are acceptable?

But with credit cards, when I scan them, should I black out the account numbers? I know it's a stupid question but I don't we're allowed to black out the SSN. I'm just cautious so I'm not sure what to do.

Blacking out the account numbers is a terrible idea. This is the federal government you are dealing with. They run thorough background checks. There is nothing you should be hiding. USCIS checks your records against ones in their background checks. Failing to disclose is a huge issue. Do not consider them strangers trying to steal your identity.

AOS

03/24/11 - Got married in the Boogie-Down Bronx, NYC!
04/21/11 - Mailed I-130,I-765, I-485, I-864 and I-693 - Day 00

04/23/11 - Application delivered - Day 02
04/28/11 - NOA (most forms) - Day 07
05/03/11 - Checks cashed - Day 12
05/31/11 - Biometrics completed in the Bronx, NYC - Day 40
06/24/11 - Received someone else's employment authorization card!!! What the...? - Day 64
07/01/11 - Mailed the poor lady's card back after calling USCIS - Day 71
07/07/11 - Received poor lady's interview notice! What??? - Day 77
07/15/11 - Received my own EAD card - Day 85
08/12/11 - Interview. Approved on the spot! - Day 113
08/18/11 - Received card in the mail - Day 119

ROC
05/28/13 - Mailed I-751 - Day 00

05/30/13 - Application delivered - Day 02

05/31/13 - NOA I-797 - Day 03
06/04/13 - Check cashed - Day 07

06/06/13 - NOA delivered to my home/Biometrics letter generated - Day 09

06/10/13 - Received Biometrics letter in the mail - Day 13

06/27/13 - Biometrics completed in Milwaukee, WI - Day 30

09/10/13 - Application approved! - Day 105

09/14/13 - 10 year Green Card received! - Day 109

Citizenship

05/10/16 - Mailed N-400 - Day 00

05/12/16 - Application delivered - Day 02

05/13/16 - Credit card payment accepted - Day 03

05/17/16 - Received text & email update - Day 07

05/20/16 - Received 1st NOA (dated 05/13/16) & created ELIS acct - Day 10

05/21/16 - Received 2nd NOA (dated 05/16/16) confirming my DOB and address - Day 11

05/22/06 - Biometrics scheduled (online update) and appt letter was mailed on 05/20/16 - Day 12

05/24/06 - Biometrics letter became viewable online (appt scheduled for 06/07/16) - Day 14

05/27/16 - Received Biometrics letter in mail - Day 17

05/31/16 - Was denied walk-in fingerprints with just 1 person left in line. Milwaukee office, boo! - Day 21

06/07/16 - Biometrics completed in Milwaukee, WI - Day 28

12/21/16 - Passed Citizenship test/Interview was successful! - Day 197

01/26/17 - I am a US citizen!!! - Day 233

Timeline

Blacking out the account numbers is a terrible idea. This is the federal government you are dealing with. They run thorough background checks. There is nothing you should be hiding. USCIS checks your records against ones in their background checks. Failing to disclose is a huge issue. Do not consider them strangers trying to steal your identity.

Thanks. I was just concerned in case of mail fraud. It happens more than you think!

Mail fraud we can't avoid, sadly. If they had allowed deliveries in person, I would have hopped on the first plane with cupcakes to bribe them. :)

AOS

03/24/11 - Got married in the Boogie-Down Bronx, NYC!
04/21/11 - Mailed I-130,I-765, I-485, I-864 and I-693 - Day 00

04/23/11 - Application delivered - Day 02
04/28/11 - NOA (most forms) - Day 07
05/03/11 - Checks cashed - Day 12
05/31/11 - Biometrics completed in the Bronx, NYC - Day 40
06/24/11 - Received someone else's employment authorization card!!! What the...? - Day 64
07/01/11 - Mailed the poor lady's card back after calling USCIS - Day 71
07/07/11 - Received poor lady's interview notice! What??? - Day 77
07/15/11 - Received my own EAD card - Day 85
08/12/11 - Interview. Approved on the spot! - Day 113
08/18/11 - Received card in the mail - Day 119

ROC
05/28/13 - Mailed I-751 - Day 00

05/30/13 - Application delivered - Day 02

05/31/13 - NOA I-797 - Day 03
06/04/13 - Check cashed - Day 07

06/06/13 - NOA delivered to my home/Biometrics letter generated - Day 09

06/10/13 - Received Biometrics letter in the mail - Day 13

06/27/13 - Biometrics completed in Milwaukee, WI - Day 30

09/10/13 - Application approved! - Day 105

09/14/13 - 10 year Green Card received! - Day 109

Citizenship

05/10/16 - Mailed N-400 - Day 00

05/12/16 - Application delivered - Day 02

05/13/16 - Credit card payment accepted - Day 03

05/17/16 - Received text & email update - Day 07

05/20/16 - Received 1st NOA (dated 05/13/16) & created ELIS acct - Day 10

05/21/16 - Received 2nd NOA (dated 05/16/16) confirming my DOB and address - Day 11

05/22/06 - Biometrics scheduled (online update) and appt letter was mailed on 05/20/16 - Day 12

05/24/06 - Biometrics letter became viewable online (appt scheduled for 06/07/16) - Day 14

05/27/16 - Received Biometrics letter in mail - Day 17

05/31/16 - Was denied walk-in fingerprints with just 1 person left in line. Milwaukee office, boo! - Day 21

06/07/16 - Biometrics completed in Milwaukee, WI - Day 28

12/21/16 - Passed Citizenship test/Interview was successful! - Day 197

01/26/17 - I am a US citizen!!! - Day 233

• 4 weeks later...

One more (stupid? ) question:

Is it ok to send photocopies of bank/credit cards, front and back?

Or do we need to send actual bank /credit statements?

Send copies of your actual bank/credit statements. And send all the pages of each, don't skip any pages. They must be complete.

yeMBfha.jpg

Timeline

Thanks. We came across a small blip so we won't submit until about 60 days before GC expiration. Hope that's still enough time.

One more thing. We've been living at the same address for the past 4 years. We are definitely moving within the next month (renting) but it's between two cities within NY. We don't have an address but we do have a permanent one (at a relative's address) for now. We will probably submit documents using our old address within a week or so of actually moving. What's the proper and most effective way to address this issue?

I think UCSIS is big on the address where we resided and want all kinds of proof on that. How do we tell them that we're in the process of moving and to send all future paperwork to a permanent address where we don't physically live?

You need to give a physical address where you really live. I find it hard to believe a place in NY has no address?

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Timeline

You need to give a physical address where you really live. I find it hard to believe a place in NY has no address?

Well, to clarify, we are moving out of town but that won't be finalized until next month. We haven't found an apartment as of yet but we're hoping to send off the 751 documents before we move.

I don't know if it'll be cutting it close to send the paperwork after we've moved and settled. Currently, we have about 60ish days until her GC expires.

Well, to clarify, we are moving out of town but that won't be finalized until next month. We haven't found an apartment as of yet but we're hoping to send off the 751 documents before we move.

I don't know if it'll be cutting it close to send the paperwork after we've moved and settled. Currently, we have about 60ish days until her GC expires.

Oh, you are overthinking this.

File when you can, then when you move, change your address with USCIS via internet and phone. You change your address with them after you move, not before. No big deal.

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Timeline

Oh, you are overthinking this.

File when you can, then when you move, change your address with USCIS via internet and phone. You change your address with them after you move, not before. No big deal.

you're right smile.png. i was overthinking and your proposal makes things way easier!!!

Ok. We're preparing now. Would the following suffice? I think something is missing but can't put a finger to it.

· I-751 Petition to Remove conditions on Residence

· Check #1201 in the amount of $590 for the filing and biometric fee

· Copy of Green Card (front and back) for XXX

· Copy of Birth Certificates for XXX

· Copy of Social Security cards for XXX

· Copy of Marriage certificate from both civil and church ceremonies

· Copy of Medical Insurance cards (front and back) for the last two years for XXX

· Copy of summary of Life and AD&D insurance policy

· Copy of Bank cards (front and back) from two different institutions for XXX

· Statements from joint accounts of the two bank institutions for XXX

· Copy of Credit cards (front and back) from three different institutions for XXX

· Copy of tax filings from 2011 and 2012 (jointly filed)

· Copy of Apartment Lease from September 2009 for current address

· Copy of Apartment Renewal Lease from September 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013

· Unopened envelopes containing utility bills postmarked from December 2011 and June 2013

· Confirmation of trip itinerary to Warsaw, Poland from April, 2012

· Confirmation of trip itinerary to Cancun, Mexico from April, 2013

· Three notarized Affidavit letters from a relative and two friends

· Photos from the past several years

· Church offering envelope

Edited by jezyk

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Hi again.

So our check was received on Sept 3rd and cashed on Sept 19th (I know it's not too long ago). Our 2 year GC ends Oct 25th.

As of yet, we haven't received any type of receipt or NOA(?). I guess it's too early to worry and we're fine if we still don't get it before the GC expiration, right?

We need the receipt number because we have to file the Change of Address AR-11 form. I guess there's nothing we can do until then?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.