Lisi

K-1/ Visiting on AOS Question/Intro

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I’m beginning the k-1 paperwork, and to say I’m overwhelmed is an understatement! I’m so glad this forum is here to hopefully help me through the moments when I want to hyperventilate and pee my pants at the same time. smile.png

We got engaged a week ago!!!!

I’ve pretty much got all the paperwork finished, my fiancé and I were together last week so we were able to get all the forms completed together. He went back to England on Tuesday but now the waiting begins!

I just have a quick question (and I’m sure they’ll be many more throughout this journey) once my fiancé enters the country and we get married, do we have to file for an AOS pretty quickly? How long does it take to get the AOS approved? I’m just worried in case my fiancé needs to leave the US to return to England again to finish up the sale of his house, or if we want to go visit his mum in England to celebrate our marriage. How soon after we get married can he legally leave the US to visit the UK again and then come back here to the US?

Wishing everyone much luck on their journeys, and I’m looking forward to getting to know some of you!

Edited by Lisi

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

He would need either the AP or the GC, to use to be able to return to the US. If he leaves piror to that, then you'll have to file for a CR-1 spouse visa and wait about a year for that.

The AP takes about 3 months and the GC about 5 months. You should file the day after you receive your certified marriage certificate after you marry to make the process as short as possible.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

once your fiance enters on K1, he can not leave AND return without green card

he can leave.. but can't come back in

thats the short answer..

i suggest you worry about the K1.. get married then adjust..

if he has other things to take care of.. do them AFTER K1 Visa is in HAND..

The AP takes about 3 months and the GC about 5 months. You should file the day after you receive your certified marriage certificate after you marry to make the process as short as possible.

cost is $1070...

i had to wait abit after our wedding to get the funds.. it was a month after her i-94 expired

K101/17/2012.....I-129F ..... sent to Dallas, Texas

01/25/2012.....NOA1 (text & email) ..... sent to Vermont Service Center

01/28/2012.....NOA1 Hard Copy in Mail

07/31/2012.....NOA2.. 188 days update@USCIS

08/03/2012.....NOA2.. Hard Copy

09/04/2012.....Sent Email to Caracas Embassy for Interview date.. they had not contacted her

09/05/2012.....Embassy response.. with interview date!!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy... APPROVED!!

12/31/2012.....POE.. Miami, arrived to AUSTIN next day smile.png

02/16/2013.....Married!!

AOS - K1

05/06/2013.....I-465 & I-765 sent USPS priority mail

05/14/2013......Email, Text of Receiving package on 5/11

05/16/2013......Hard Copy of NOA1 received: I-465 and _I-765 Application for employment

05/20/2013...... Bio-metric hard-copy.
05/29/2013...... Biometric scheduled. . Austin office

07/15/2013...... EAD card arrived in mail today smile.png

10/20/2013...... Green Card approved! NOA hardcopy received!

10/31/2013...... Green Card Delivered!!

ROC-I-751
07/21/15 90 day Window Opens

07/24/15 I-751 Mailed to Cali. Service Center
09/03/15 Biometeric scheduled and completed

01/26/16 ROC Letter arrived
01/30/16 10 yr Green Card arrived

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Spain
Timeline

Yes, I would highly suggest getting as much of the AOS paperwork ready as you can while you are still in "paperwork mode" with the K-1 stuff. After my K-1 process, I kept putting off the paperwork for AOS, and now the husband can't travel this summer sad.png . It's my understanding that you don't HAVE to file AOS within a certain period. But the (expensive) physical he will have to do for the K-1 is only valid for one year.

Tell your fiance to be prepared to not leave the country for AT LEAST 3 months. Can he make someone his power of attorney in England? It would be a pain to have to abandon this whole process because of the sale of a house.

PS - pick up a time-consuming hobby . Or all the waiting will drive you crazy! Good luck!

K-1 Process:
8/26/2011 - I-129f mailed
8/31/2011 - NOA1
2/03/2012 - RFE
2/09/2012 - RFE received through US Mail
2/14/2012 - RFE response mailed
2/16/2012 - RFE response received by CSC
2/17/2012 - Touch
3/08/2012 - NOA2
I-129f was approved in 190 days from NOA1 date.

3/15/2012 - NVC received
3/19/2012 - NVC left

3/21/2012 - Embassy received
3/28/2012 - Packet 3 received by beneficiary

01/28/2013 - Married

03/11/2013 - Sent AOS packet

05/17/2013 - EAP and AP approved in 66 days

10/26/2013 - Green Card Production email notification

Timeline

cost is $1070...

i had to wait abit after our wedding to get the funds.. it was a month after her i-94 expired

Holy moly, it costs $1070 to get the Green Card! I knew it was going to be an expensive, but yikes! Now it's time to start saving every penny so we can afford this. Aye yai yai, it's a good thing I love this man so much! :)

Thanks so much for the info! I'll make sure he knows that he needs to finish up everything as soon as the K-1 visa is issued to us.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Holy moly, it costs $1070 to get the Green Card! I knew it was going to be an expensive, but yikes! Now it's time to start saving every penny so we can afford this. Aye yai yai, it's a good thing I love this man so much! smile.png

Thanks so much for the info! I'll make sure he knows that he needs to finish up everything as soon as the K-1 visa is issued to us.

yes.. for me.. that was a little issue.. i would luv to have done it sooner.. but it was done may 6th..

$85 is for biometric fee..

$985 is for I-485 (AOS)

BUT.. employment paperwork is FREE if filed at same time!!

i suggest.. look over the guidelines for K1.. and then look thru the K1 forums.. cuz if you have a question.. 100 others asked the same thing!! so its super easy to find.. AND there are examples for all forms..

AOS was kind of easy.. cuz you only need to do paperwork for Spouse.. USC only does the i-864 Affid. support..

its not hard.. but it seems overwhelming.. cuz you are not familiar with the terms and forms..

the more you read POST in K1 threads.. the easier it is to understand.. AND see other peoples DO's and DO NOTS!!

K101/17/2012.....I-129F ..... sent to Dallas, Texas

01/25/2012.....NOA1 (text & email) ..... sent to Vermont Service Center

01/28/2012.....NOA1 Hard Copy in Mail

07/31/2012.....NOA2.. 188 days update@USCIS

08/03/2012.....NOA2.. Hard Copy

09/04/2012.....Sent Email to Caracas Embassy for Interview date.. they had not contacted her

09/05/2012.....Embassy response.. with interview date!!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy... APPROVED!!

12/31/2012.....POE.. Miami, arrived to AUSTIN next day smile.png

02/16/2013.....Married!!

AOS - K1

05/06/2013.....I-465 & I-765 sent USPS priority mail

05/14/2013......Email, Text of Receiving package on 5/11

05/16/2013......Hard Copy of NOA1 received: I-465 and _I-765 Application for employment

05/20/2013...... Bio-metric hard-copy.
05/29/2013...... Biometric scheduled. . Austin office

07/15/2013...... EAD card arrived in mail today smile.png

10/20/2013...... Green Card approved! NOA hardcopy received!

10/31/2013...... Green Card Delivered!!

ROC-I-751
07/21/15 90 day Window Opens

07/24/15 I-751 Mailed to Cali. Service Center
09/03/15 Biometeric scheduled and completed

01/26/16 ROC Letter arrived
01/30/16 10 yr Green Card arrived

Timeline

It's my understanding that you don't HAVE to file AOS within a certain period. But the (expensive) physical he will have to do for the K-1 is only valid for one year.

Tell your fiance to be prepared to not leave the country for AT LEAST 3 months. Can he make someone his power of attorney in England? It would be a pain to have to abandon this whole process because of the sale of a house.

PS - pick up a time-consuming hobby . Or all the waiting will drive you crazy! Good luck!

Thanks for all the info!!! Is the cost of the physical the same for each country, or does it vary? Is there a site I can find the costs? Sorry for all the questions!

I will tell my fiance he'll have to make his brother the power of atty just in case, which won't be a problem!

I do need to get a new hobby! I can be kinda impatient...which I know isn't going to be ideal for this process! One day at a time...wink.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

I’m beginning the k-1 paperwork, and to say I’m overwhelmed is an understatement! I’m so glad this forum is here to hopefully help me through the moments when I want to hyperventilate and pee my pants at the same time. smile.png

We got engaged a week ago!!!!

I’ve pretty much got all the paperwork finished, my fiancé and I were together last week so we were able to get all the forms completed together. He went back to England on Tuesday but now the waiting begins!

I just have a quick question (and I’m sure they’ll be many more throughout this journey) once my fiancé enters the country and we get married, do we have to file for an AOS pretty quickly? How long does it take to get the AOS approved? I’m just worried in case my fiancé needs to leave the US to return to England again to finish up the sale of his house, or if we want to go visit his mum in England to celebrate our marriage. How soon after we get married can he legally leave the US to visit the UK again and then come back here to the US?

Wishing everyone much luck on their journeys, and I’m looking forward to getting to know some of you!

Congratulations on your engagement! :)

Read the guides, example forms and instructions on this site and everything will be great! Do things step by step and soon you'll realize it's not as complicated as it seemed at fist ;) Good luck on your visa journey!

Current costs for a UK couple. Fees can change by the time you get there.

K1 route = $1650 + £286.50

$340 (USCIS) I-129F

$240 (Embassy) Visa fee

£45 ACPO Police certificate

£227 (Knightsbridge Doctors) medical exam

£14.50 (DX Secure) Courier fee

$1070 (USCIS) Adjustment of Status/Work Authorization/Advance Parole

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Thanks for all the info!!! Is the cost of the physical the same for each country, or does it vary? Is there a site I can find the costs? Sorry for all the questions!

I will tell my fiance he'll have to make his brother the power of atty just in case, which won't be a problem!

I do need to get a new hobby! I can be kinda impatient...which I know isn't going to be ideal for this process! One day at a time...wink.png

http://www.visamedicals.info/us-price.asp

Info about prices and some other links if you want to have a look. Don't worry, I was the same when I first started. Peeing myself with anxiety/questions and the whole thing seemed very daunting, but it gets a bit less so once you have a while to digest it and get used to what you need to know.

So let me just confirm - you don't have to file for AOS before your I-94 expires? What status would the immigrant be in if AOS wasn't filed before it's expiry? We are still going to do it before it expires, just we'd thought it was a bit of a mad rush to get everything all done within 3 months, so I'm curious to know.

AOS posted - 02/18/2014

NOA1 - 03/04/2014
Biometrics - 03/28/2014
EAD in post - 5/5/2014

EAD in hand - 5/10/2014
Interview waiver letter received - 6/9/2014

Card production notice - 1/10/2015

ROC mailed - 10/11/2016

ROC received at CSC - 10/18/2016

Interview Notice Received - 3/30/2017

So let me just confirm - you don't have to file for AOS before your I-94 expires? What status would the immigrant be in if AOS wasn't filed before it's expiry? We are still going to do it before it expires, just we'd thought it was a bit of a mad rush to get everything all done within 3 months, so I'm curious to know.

There is nothing in law that says a K1 must do anything but marry within 90 days to meet the terms of the visa. Thus no absolute deadline for AOS.

In practicality, A K1 gets few privileges after entry. No working. No leaving the US and re-entering on the K1. No driver license, except a few states that give a 90 day license, which is kinda pointless. Yes to a Social Security card, but without being allowed to work. After your 90 days are up, you are pretty much in overstay but not likely to be hunted down and deported. (They have bigger fish to fry.) You are accruing overstay days nonetheless, and it could come back to bite you if something went wrong with the AOS. Or an emergency could make you want to return to the UK. Then you have to start over to come back, but you also have overstay days you accumulated by not filing within 90 days.

By filing, you are protected to remain in the US while the AOS is pending. Your work authorization and permission to travel internationally and return are received in 60-90 days. You can get a driver license.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

There is nothing in law that says a K1 must do anything but marry within 90 days to meet the terms of the visa. Thus no absolute deadline for AOS.

In practicality, A K1 gets few privileges after entry. No working. No leaving the US and re-entering on the K1. No driver license, except a few states that give a 90 day license, which is kinda pointless. Yes to a Social Security card, but without being allowed to work. After your 90 days are up, you are pretty much in overstay but not likely to be hunted down and deported. (They have bigger fish to fry.) You are accruing overstay days nonetheless, and it could come back to bite you if something went wrong with the AOS. Or an emergency could make you want to return to the UK. Then you have to start over to come back, but you also have overstay days you accumulated by not filing within 90 days.

By filing, you are protected to remain in the US while the AOS is pending. Your work authorization and permission to travel internationally and return are received in 60-90 days. You can get a driver license.

Yeah, that's pretty much what we thought. That after the 90 days, I'd be out of status and wouldn't, technically, be legal in the US; and that by doing it before the expiration, we keep by the book and make sure I'm protected throughout the entire process, not doing anything to miff off the agency that will have a lot of control over our lives for many years to come. Thanks for the clarification :).

AOS posted - 02/18/2014

NOA1 - 03/04/2014
Biometrics - 03/28/2014
EAD in post - 5/5/2014

EAD in hand - 5/10/2014
Interview waiver letter received - 6/9/2014

Card production notice - 1/10/2015

ROC mailed - 10/11/2016

ROC received at CSC - 10/18/2016

Interview Notice Received - 3/30/2017

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.