anoldjourney

Getting a SNN

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

So I've done the I-130 process, had my interview, been approved etc. But I don't remember along the way if I had the option for getting an SSN?

Am I able to apply for a SSN before I get to the US? I'm going to be going to school there in a different state to where my family lives, and I don't have much time in between my arrival in the US & actually starting classes, so I need to be able to get a license, car, insurance, phone, bank account etc, ... oh, and a rental place... So I need my SSN for everything and don't really have time to wait a few weeks for it to arrive, then start getting everything else together. I'll need to get the car in the first week, same for license etc..

So is it possible for me to get a SSN sooner rather than later, before I enter the US? Or does the application arrange one for you once you enter the US? I'm a bit confused for this bit!

Thanks

My I-130

Mailed I-130 23/08/2012

Received at USCIS 28/08/2012

Rejection of my I-130 due to step-dad accidentally signing wrong box :( 21/09/2012 (6 days out from my 21st!! >;[)

Re-sent application 21/09/2012

Received at USCIS 27/09/2012 (I was right.. ON MY 21ST!!)

Priority date 27/09/2012 - adult child :(

NOA1 date 1/10/2012

NOA1 received in mail 16/10/2012

'Touched' 22/10/2012

Mum's I-130

Mailed I-130 23/08/2012

Priority date of 28/08/2012

NOA1 date 9/09/2012

NOA1 by email 11/09/2012

NOA1 received in mail 26-27/09/2012

I-130 approved 26/10/2012

NOA2 in mail ?/11/2012

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Is your I-130 based on an F2B family visa category? If so, your PD is not yet available - see http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/bulletin/bulletin_5953.html. Current visa availability for F2B is July 8, 2008 (for all other countries except China, India, Mexico and the Philippines).

The NOA is the approval from the USCIS. Your visa application (completion of DS-230) will commence once your PD becomes available (follow the visa bulletin every month; there is an option to subscribe so you get the email version of the updates).

Once your application is under the NVC processing, the option to file for a SSN will be on the DS-230 form.

I hope this helps!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

**** Moving from Bringing Family to SSN forum *****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

Once your application is under the NVC processing, the option to file for a SSN will be on the DS-230 form.

Correct, but either way if you choose this option or not your social security card will be issued after you arrive in the US. If you do not choose this option you will need to apply at a local office after you arrive.

Best of Luck!

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I just noted that option on the DS-230 because he noted "So I need my SSN for everything and don't really have time to wait a few weeks for it to arrive, then start getting everything else together. I'll need to get the car in the first week, same for license etc.. " Selecting this option will expedite his process since he does not have to go to the local SS Office and apply (I'm sure he'd still have to wait for a few weeks for his card to arrive, yes?)

It's been 26 years for me since my family immigrated to the U.S., so I'm sure processes have changed. Comments noted are based on my recent experience in helping my oldest sister complete her visa application to join us (her family) here.

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

Is your I-130 based on an F2B family visa category? If so, your PD is not yet available - see http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/bulletin/bulletin_5953.html. Current visa availability for F2B is July 8, 2008 (for all other countries except China, India, Mexico and the Philippines).

The NOA is the approval from the USCIS. Your visa application (completion of DS-230) will commence once your PD becomes available (follow the visa bulletin every month; there is an option to subscribe so you get the email version of the updates).

I hope this helps!

No, not F2B, I'm an immediate relative, so I've got my visa in my passport now ready to enter the US. Ah, if the option for SSN was on the DS-230 form then hopefully we checked to do that, my parents were doing the forms so I'm not actually sure! I just know I'll be in a rush haha.

Correct, but either way if you choose this option or not your social security card will be issued after you arrive in the US. If you do not choose this option you will need to apply at a local office after you arrive.

Best of Luck!

How long should it take to arrive roughly? I'm unable to get a bank account or rentals etc without it, so hopefully it doesn't take longer than 3 weeks.. :S

I just noted that option on the DS-230 because he noted "So I need my SSN for everything and don't really have time to wait a few weeks for it to arrive, then start getting everything else together. I'll need to get the car in the first week, same for license etc.. " Selecting this option will expedite his process since he does not have to go to the local SS Office and apply (I'm sure he'd still have to wait for a few weeks for his card to arrive, yes?)

It's been 26 years for me since my family immigrated to the U.S., so I'm sure processes have changed. Comments noted are based on my recent experience in helping my oldest sister complete her visa application to join us (her family) here.

I'm a she, by the way :)

As long as it'll be sent to me and I don't have to go to an office, hopefully that will be quicker.

My I-130

Mailed I-130 23/08/2012

Rejection of my I-130 due to step-dad accidentally signing wrong box :( 21/09/2012 (6 days out from my 21st!! >;[)

Re-sent application 21/09/2012

Received at USCIS 27/09/2012 (I was right.. ON MY 21ST!!)

Priority date 27/09/2012 - adult child :(

NOA1 date 1/10/2012

NOA1 received in mail 16/10/2012

'Touched' 22/10/2012

Mum's I-130

Mailed I-130 23/08/2012

Priority date of 28/08/2012

NOA1 date 9/09/2012

NOA1 by email 11/09/2012

NOA1 received in mail 26-27/09/2012

I-130 approved 26/10/2012

NOA2 in mail ?/11/2012

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.