Brenda2010

Canadian Passport Renewal from US

50 posts in this topic

Sent it express mail on Monday, it arrived in Gatineau today...know some others have renewed, how long did it take to process and return to you? Just curious. A little stressed not having a passport.

For information on our K1/AOS/ROC journey please see my 'About Me' page on my profile.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

did mine a couple yrs back--just sent it regular snail mail (USPS) and had it back in 3 weeks

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

I got mine back in a month from the day they recieved it.

formerly sherrybaby

ROC Process

12-13-2013 * 90 day window to apply opens

02-24-2014 * ROC package sent to USCIS Vermont Service Center

02-25-2014 * ROC package received at USCIS Vermont Service Center

02-26-2014 * NOA1 notice date

02-28-2014 * Cheque cashed

03-05-2014 * Biometrics notice date

03-28-2014 * Biometrics Appointment in Baltimore

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I have a quick question related to renewing Canadian passports- if you renew your passport while in the US do you still need a guarantor? The website says you do not need to resubmit guarantor information with the simplified form, but then the simplified form asks for references- I assume the references are not guarantors though. Do the references need to be Canadian?

Edited by pocheros

You need references either way. They're regular people that know you for 2+ amount of years who are not relatives. They don't have to be Canadian. ;)

Edited by NikiR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

I have a quick question related to renewing Canadian passports- if you renew your passport while in the US do you still need a guarantor? The website says you do not need to resubmit guarantor information with the simplified form, but then the simplified form asks for references- I assume the references are not guarantors though. Do the references need to be Canadian?

Have you changed your last name? If you did, you will need to do the application form and can not use the simplified renewal form. I am not sure what the simplified form asks for, but I had to get a guarantor for my application.

formerly sherrybaby

ROC Process

12-13-2013 * 90 day window to apply opens

02-24-2014 * ROC package sent to USCIS Vermont Service Center

02-25-2014 * ROC package received at USCIS Vermont Service Center

02-26-2014 * NOA1 notice date

02-28-2014 * Cheque cashed

03-05-2014 * Biometrics notice date

03-28-2014 * Biometrics Appointment in Baltimore

If you change your name, you can't use the simplified system and need a guarantor, that's correct. I had to do that June 2012. For Canadians that means a person who has a valid or less than 1 yr old expired passport who has known you for 2 or more years.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Filed: Timeline

Hi All,

I am planning to do this as well and will be required to do the long application due to changing my name since being married here. I just read that documents to support identity must be sent (originals) or the guarantor must sign a copy saying they "saw" the original. The 2 docs that would qualitfy per below would be my driver's license or my U.S. permanent resident card. Either way, because my brother lives in Ontario I'd have to send originals of one of these to either the passport office or my brother (feel safer sending it to him to validate that he saw the original) but either way very uncomfortable having these originals leave my side. Am I reading this correctly? If I wasn't changing my name then my passport could be used but they require a document in your name that is to appear on your passport. thanks folks! smile.png

Documents to Support Identity

Provide at least one (1) document to support your identity with the name to appear in the passport. Further documentation may be required.

Documents to support your identity must be valid, must be issued by a federal, provincial/territorial/state or municipal authority, and must include your name and signature. For example:

Provincial/territorial/state driver's licence

Provincial health card

Certificate of Indian Status

Canadian passport that is valid or expired for less than one year

United States permanent resident card

Federal, provincial/territorial/state or municipal employee identification card

Other federal, provincial/territorial/state or municipal identification card

Copies are acceptable provided your guarantor has signed and dated a copy of each document (both sides) confirming that the original document has been seen. If you are submitting original documents, they will be returned to you.

If you are submitting copies and are using form PPTC 132, Statutory Declaration in Lieu of Guarantor, the

Edited by Soulmates513

I wonder if showing the person the original over Skype would count ;)

I’m extremely hesitant to let any of my original documents leave my hot little hands as well. Even the thought of handing over my passport to the Consulate is giving me the heebie-jeebies.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Don't let your green card or Driver's License leave your possession. Definitely don't mail either of them anywhere. You are actually supposed to keep your green card in your possession at all times. If you drive, you need your Driver's license as well.

Skype should work, or you could use the PPTC 132 form 'In lieu of a guarantor" and have a local notary fill in the form and sign it for you.

My first renewal from the US I had my Dad sign as the guarantor. As he had seen the ID I was submitting as proof on a visit a few months earlier, I was able to mail him the photocopies which he completed and sent back to me with the signed form. If your brother has ever seen either of the documents you are using, then he would be able to sign the photocopies as well. Being a relative definitely helps.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I did a simplified renewal from the US, and it took no more than 3 weeks.

I sent all the required documentation to my mother, who went down to Victoria office to file everything for me. She encountered no difficulty whatsoever, and filed her own passport at the same time. :)

26 January 2005 - Entered US as visitor from Canada.
16 May 2005 - Assembled health package, W2s.
27 June 2005 - Sent package off to Chicago lockbox.
28 June 2005 - Package received at Chicago lockbox.
11 July 2005 - RFE: cheques inappropriately placed.
18 July 2005 - NOA 1: I-485, I-131, I-765 received!
19 July 2005 - NOA 1: I-130 received!
24 August 2005 - Biometrics appointment (Naperville, IL).
25 August 2005 - AOS touched.
29 August 2005 - AP, EAD, I-485 touched.
15 September 2005 - AP and EAD approved!
03 February 2006 - SSN arrives (150 days later)
27 February 2006 - NOA 2: Interview for 27 April!!
27 April 2006 - AOS Interview, approved after 10 minutes!
19 May 2006 - 2 year conditional green card.
01 May 2008 - 10 year green card arrives.
09 December 2012 - Assembled N-400 package.
15 January 2013 - Sent package off to Phoenix.
28 January 2013 - RFE: signature missing.
06 February 2013 - NOA 1: N-400 received!
27 February 2013 - Biometrics appointment (Detroit, MI).
01 April 2013 - NOA 2: Interview assigned.

15 May 2013 - Naturalization Interview, approved after 15 minutes.

10 June 2013 - Naturalized.

Sent it express mail on Monday, it arrived in Gatineau today...know some others have renewed, how long did it take to process and return to you? Just curious. A little stressed not having a passport.

And much to my amazement Fedex just delivered my new one moments ago - 2 weeks to the day! Whew, feel so much better!!

For information on our K1/AOS/ROC journey please see my 'About Me' page on my profile.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.