Bruce n Jen

Pros and Cons to keeping or changing maiden name?

11 posts in this topic

Planning ahead my fiancee has had some questions regarding the pro and con of changing her name once we're married, in her own words....

"What I was saying about the pros and cons of changing of name was this: It

is convenient to keep my name so that I won't have to apply for another South African

passport which will take 4 months to get before I can apply for parole to

travel outside the USA (assuming that I can't travel with a passport that

says "maiden name" when my name is actually "married name"). But, 2 years down the line

when I apply for a change of status from conditional resident to permanent

resident, then it may show bad faith in the marriage if I haven't changed my

name. Also, if I was applying for US citizenship it may also reflect badly.

Considering all the things one has to prove in the future, not changing my

name may come up as a red flag to the immigration officials. "

So, what are the pro and cons if any? thanks

I-129F

9-18-06 mailed I-129F to Texas !!!

10-02-06 NOA1 date CSC

12-26-06 APPROVED NOA2!!!

02-20-07 K1 VISA APPROVED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

05-12-07 MARRIED !!!!!!

AOS

06-11-07 mailed package !!!!

06-18-07 NOAs for I-485, I-765, I-131

09-21-07 GC received!!!!!

I-751 - gathering documents to send Jun 09

06-02-09 mail I-751 package !!!

06-05-09 I-751 rec'd at VSC - the clock starts now

06-08-09 I-751 NOA date

07-09-09 Biometrics

10-20-09 date of approval letter, rec'd 10-24-09

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

You can change your name when you file for AP and AOS, and you don't need to change it on your passport, just remember when you book tickets on an air flight, the tickets need to have the same name as your passport.

Many do this, just when you reenter, you need to show your AP, or Green-card, they do not have to match your passport.

Edited by YuAndDan

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

If you don't change your maiden name you will probably be asked at AOS Interview why. My wife was. Her answer ("Haven't got around to it") seemed to satisfy the IO though!

I still haven't decided about my name yet... I really like my maiden name and my hubbie's is too long! Haha, pretty ridiculous reason :)

AOS/EAD

11/15/2006 NOA1 for EAD and AOS

12/1/2006 Received RFE Grrrrrrrrr

12/2/2006 Biometrics

12/8/2006 Sent back RFE

1/26/2007 EAD Card Production Ordered

1/31/2007 EAD Card received

3/6/2007 INTERVIEW - FBI namecheck

3/26/2007 NOA1 for AP

4/30/2007 AOS APPROVED

5/7/2007 Green Card Arrived!

-

2/12/09 Mailed Removal of Conditions

3/10/09 Bio Appt

-

My consulate told me that it is perfectly ok for me to travel with my passport in my maiden name, if I have a copy of my marriage certificate.

That being said, my 2 cents is that it is a very individual decision, and if your fiancee wants to change her name, it's most convenient to do so when you get married. If she wants to keep her name, that should not raise a red flag for immigration officers, because many women (particularly in the US) don't change their names, and in certian cultures keeping one's maiden name is the norm.

Timeline for Naturalization:

Day 1: Application delivered to AZ

Timeline for Removing Conditions:

Green card received 117 days after application was delivered to USCIS

Timeline for AOS:

Green card received 120 days after application was delivered to USCIS

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

It's no big deal to change your name - my passport was sent off and returned within about 10 days. As for paperwork, it's relatively easy to list yourself under your married name, and avoids confusion for receiving mail, & for official documents etc (ie if you are choosing to list your married name but also list the fact you don't use that but use your maiden name).

The only people I know who remain listed under their maiden names are those who have established themselves in a career (ie teachers, actors/celebrities (eg Nicole Kidman) and other professionals in business or whatever). The only reason they don't change their name is because it is convenient, and their identity has already been established under that name and the familiarity with who they are is already there.

I personally love my new name and I see it as showing my unity to my husband and my promise to him to be his always.

And, unlike my maiden name, it is easier to spell, and short and snappy enough to look awsome on the Hollywood Walk of Fame :lol::lol:

2005 August 27th Happily Married

I don't know, I kept my maiden name since in Iceland women don't take their husband's name, and so it meant nothing to him. Besides, mine is easier for people to understand, although it's fun to mess with people's heads in shops by giving them his name. ;)

Filed: Timeline

If she applies for an SSN in her maiden name and doesn't change it she will need to work and file taxes with that name. Will probably need to use that name on her driver's license (DL) as well, since most states now check the DL application info against the SSN record.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline
Planning ahead my fiancee has had some questions regarding the pro and con of changing her name once we're married, in her own words....

"What I was saying about the pros and cons of changing of name was this: It

is convenient to keep my name so that I won't have to apply for another South African

passport which will take 4 months to get before I can apply for parole to

travel outside the USA (assuming that I can't travel with a passport that

says "maiden name" when my name is actually "married name"). But, 2 years down the line

when I apply for a change of status from conditional resident to permanent

resident, then it may show bad faith in the marriage if I haven't changed my

name. Also, if I was applying for US citizenship it may also reflect badly.

Considering all the things one has to prove in the future, not changing my

name may come up as a red flag to the immigration officials. "

So, what are the pro and cons if any? thanks

As for my experience I kept my maiden name as middle name, so actually now I have my first name, my middle name (maiden name) and as my last name my married name.

In this case I kept somehow my origin, plus since I didnt have any middle name when I was born,it is nice to me now have "as middle name"my maiden last name.

I got the SSN and my new ID in that way.

When I have the immigration interview I will explain about my choice if they ask me, I guess that it is up to us what to choose for our own last name, right?

Best wishes whatever you decide to do for yr name.

K1 VISA: 07/25/06 GOT VISA!!!!!!

30th of September 2006 WEDDING

AOS:01/29/2007 received Permanent Resident Card (GC)

ROC:04/11/2009 received Permanent Resident Card (GC) expiring in 2019!!!!

N-400:

on 05/21/2010 Sent out docs to Arizona Lockbox Facility address via USPS

on 06/30/2010 Biometrics

on 09/24/2010 Interview Day - Passed the Test

on 10/19/2010 Oath - USA CITIZEN!!!!!

on 10/20/2010 I requested the US Passport

on 11/02/2010 the US Passport was received by Priority Mail

on 11/03/2010 @ the Social Security Office I changed my status from Resident to US Citizen

ON THE 3RD OF NOV.2010 MY JOURNEY ENDS, WHICH STARTED IN DEC. 2005!!!!!!!THANKS TO VJ & VJ PPL!!!!!!!!

thanks for all the help!

:D

I-129F

9-18-06 mailed I-129F to Texas !!!

10-02-06 NOA1 date CSC

12-26-06 APPROVED NOA2!!!

02-20-07 K1 VISA APPROVED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

05-12-07 MARRIED !!!!!!

AOS

06-11-07 mailed package !!!!

06-18-07 NOAs for I-485, I-765, I-131

09-21-07 GC received!!!!!

I-751 - gathering documents to send Jun 09

06-02-09 mail I-751 package !!!

06-05-09 I-751 rec'd at VSC - the clock starts now

06-08-09 I-751 NOA date

07-09-09 Biometrics

10-20-09 date of approval letter, rec'd 10-24-09

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.