Kubey Jr.

My Full Story

64 posts in this topic

thank you...sorry about delay on reply here

We had a serious and scary family medical emergency (my father) and i'm now very, very exhausted.

the passport arrived yesterday with the do not open package.........i'm still really confused on what happens next.

i don't understand the deadlines.....i know that once i enter USA i have 90 days to marry.....but what is my deadline on the AOS?.....i have always believed it to be 90 days ......and that it should be done and sent away in the post ASAP right after getting married....but is that incorrect?.....my dad is telling me that there is no deadline on AOS. I don't honestly believe it...but i'm not sure what to believe.

I've heard lawyers on youtube talking about K1 and saying that if you rush it looks bad...and if you take too long it looks bad.....

at the moment we have made a plan (last night) to enter on the 13th of June and get married on the 22nd of June......but i don't know if that is a good idea or not.We had no plan at all with dates until last night....there was no wedding date set until last...

the visa itself page inside the passport itself looks like the page that show people at airports....when i start my journey do i make sure that i show everybody at every airport start to finish the visa or just the port of entry airport?...

Yet another reason lawyers aren't always good for this process...

Now that you have the visa, your next step is to decide when you want to depart for the U.S. Just be sure it's before the expiration date listed on the visa. This is the first date to know.

Your point of entry (POE) is the first place where you encounter U.S. Customs officers. That's where you'll hand over the "Do Not Open" envelope and receive the I-94. It will also void your K-1 visa as it's a one-time entry visa. Guard the I-94 as it's a key piece of information. It will be stamped with your entry date as well as the date it expires. This is the second date to know.

For most, you have 90 days to get married, but be sure you're married before the expiration date stamped on the I-94 if you want to avoid additional paperwork to adjust status. You can get married the same day you land in the U.S. if it's possible in your area. There isn't a too soon at this point since you have a specific amount of time to fulfill the requirements. So, if June 22 is your wedding date, be sure to confirm the marriage license requirements where you're to be married as some have a waiting period before the license goes into effect. This varies by state and sometimes by county within a state. (Click on the "find a county" link in my signature to learn the rules where you'll planning to marry.)

There are POE reviews on VJ, so definitely read up on those to learn what others have encountered. For example, if you're moving to Portland, OR, but your first flight lands in San Francisco, you'll go through Customs there and will not have to show your visa on the connecting flight. Definitely be sure to allow for at least two-three hours between connecting flights. If you're stuck in a long line or encounter an officer who isn't familiar with K-1, you may be there for a while.

On adjustment of status, there isn't a set timeline, but you will not be able to work, travel outside the country and return back into the U.S., or get a longer-term state driver's license until you do so.

Edited by LeftCoastLady

Part One: The K-1 Visa Journey:

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)
Interview: October 24, 2012 - Review | Visa Delivered: October 31, 2012

Part Two: Entry and Adjusting Status:

POE: November 18, 2012 (at SFO) - Review
Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Part Three: Removal of Conditions:

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

To add to the good response above--

1. The lawyers you see on YouTube discussing the timing of marriage, are probably helping people already in the US who marry a US citizen. They time it so it doesn't appear it is only for the greencard just before their student visa runs out. Or others marry on a tourist entry and are skirting immigration law a bit, so don't want to marry so quickly that it appears they came with the intention of getting around immigration laws. You have a K1 visa and did a long process. You didn't take shortcuts. You may marry anytime within the 90 days and nobody at USCIS will care.

2. You will not get an I-94 card at your arrival airport. Your passport will be stamped and marked "K1" and your 90 day date will be written in.

3. I agree there is no law that says you must file for adjustment of status within 90 days. But if you delay, then you are also delaying the privileges that come with a greencard. The best practice is to file as soon as you can.

Here are the steps listed out. You have made it through #14, so start with Point of Entry(#15) and work down the list. http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1flow

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

To add to the good response above--

1. The lawyers you see on YouTube discussing the timing of marriage, are probably helping people already in the US who marry a US citizen. They time it so it doesn't appear it is only for the greencard just before their student visa runs out. Or others marry on a tourist entry and are skirting immigration law a bit, so don't want to marry so quickly that it appears they came with the intention of getting around immigration laws. You have a K1 visa and did a long process. You didn't take shortcuts. You may marry anytime within the 90 days and nobody at USCIS will care.

2. You will not get an I-94 card at your arrival airport. Your passport will be stamped and marked "K1" and your 90 day date will be written in.

3. I agree there is no law that says you must file for adjustment of status within 90 days. But if you delay, then you are also delaying the privileges that come with a greencard. The best practice is to file as soon as you can.

Here are the steps listed out. You have made it through #14, so start with Point of Entry(#15) and work down the list. http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1flow

When did CBP stop issuing the I-94?

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

When did CBP stop issuing the I-94?

Roll out of electronic Apr 30, 2013 for air and sea. Should be at all airports by next week. He's not coming until June. Land crossings not affected.

Schedule of airports on this page http://cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id_visa/i-94_instructions/i94_rollout.xml

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Roll out of electronic Apr 30, 2013 for air and sea. Should be at all airports by next week. He's not coming until June. Land crossings not affected.

Schedule of airports on this page http://cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id_visa/i-94_instructions/i94_rollout.xml

Interesting. I did not know that. Thanks.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Country: Scotland
Timeline
On form DS-230 part II….. page 4 of 4………..it asked a question about SSN.
The exact words on this form I filled out where on Page 4 of 4……. At section 43a
Q: Have you ever applied for a Social Security number (SSN)
A: No
The exact words at 43a were the following……."Do you want the Social Security Administration to assign you a SSN and issue a card? (You must answer YES to question 43b to receive a number and card)
I then went onto 43b.....and said yes to 43b….
….43b says……..
43b I authorize disclosure of information from this form to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) the Social Security Administration (SSA), such other U.S Government agencies as may be required for the purpose of assigning me an SSN and issuing me a Social Security card, and I authorize the SSA to share my SSN with the INS
A: Yes
The applicants response does not limit or restrict the governments ability to obtain his or her SSN, or other information on this form, for enforcement or other purposes as authorized by law.
Now I know and did read about it on this page here where there was something written that was similar but not quit the same or in the same detail
…do I just disregard what I filled in on form DS-230 part II page 4 of 4 in section 43a and 43b and proceed to fill in this form here? http://www.socialsecurity.gov/online/ss-5.pdf like visajourney says or have i got hold of the wrong end of the stick?....it doesn;t look the wrong end of the stick but also my form expires in 2015...whereas the one on visajourney expires on 2007...meaning the form itself may have been printed in 2005.

As a K1, you are not going to get a SSN automatically in the mail just because you filled out Part 2 of the DS-230 by mistake. You go to the Social Security office as the Visa Journey guide says. It even tells you on the guide, with a box around it that you will not get one by filling out that DS-230, Part 2.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Timeline

It even tells you on the guide, with a box around it that you will not get one by filling out that DS-230, Part 2.

I read that part with the box many, many times before i made my post.....the post also took a long time to write.

i thought a lot about posting this and didn't know to do so or not....but i think communication is important. i have some problems in understanding a lot of....well, everything. There are so many things on all of these forms I don't understand even when its explained to me....which is, frustrating for everybody around me.

Okay here's how to get a Social Security number.

1.Arrive on plane.

2. When you get home on a computer, print out your I-94 arrival record which has just gone automated so they don't hand it back to you at the airport. You go here to this website http://www.cbp.gov/I94 and fill in your Information exactly as written on your passport. Your class of admission is is K1.

3. Print out this Social Security form http://www.ssa.gov/online/ss-5.pdf

4. Fill it in with your name EXACTLY as written on the I-94. On Line 5. You check The 2nd box Legal Alien Allowed to Work. You are not allowed to work with only this card, but with it and your greencard , you are allowed. So that part is confusing.

5. Print out this report from the Social Security Administration just in case the worker is also confused that you are allowed a SSN. If she says "no" then you can pull out the pages and show her the rule. Look at this report now https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211530. Scroll down in the second chart where the first column says CLASS. find your class K1. Do you see that on the K1 line it says Legal Alien Allowed to Work?

6. Wait a week after your arrival in the US, then go to any Social Security office. This tool on the Internet will help you find the closest one https://secure.ssa.gov/ICON/main.jsp but you may go to any office. There may be a long wait for your turn.

7. When your turn comes, give the person the SS-5 form you filled out, the I-94 your printed off the Internet, and your passport. They have to establish your identity and your birthdate, so you could also take your birth certificate and a UK driving license for additional ID.

8. If everything goes well, they will find your name on their computer showing you entered the US as a K1. They will tell you your card will be mailed to you. (about 10 days). If she can't find your name on her computer, ask her to check the spelling, if your name is not there, then they will have to verify it and she will tell you that. That takes more than a month for them to straighten it out so your card will not come quickly.

If the worker is not smart on immigration, then she could say a K1 can't have a SSN before she even looks at your stuff. That is when you pull out the report and say "here are the rules that say a K1 can have a SSN". If she still says no, ask to speak with a supervisor and show her the rules.

....and that took me a long time to write. I hope you understand it.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Timeline

This is very, very good :) :) :) it really is understandable.

Thank you for this. It does now appear that in school reports (found some) there is evidence that teachers....and definitely a majority of teachers..... wrote about how i was slow and struggled....but anyway.

This is very, very good :) :) :) it really is understandable.

Thank you for this. It does now appear that in school reports (found some) there is evidence that teachers....and definitely a majority of teachers..... wrote about how i was slow and struggled....but anyway.

Well we make a good team because I was a teacher and spent 3 years working with only slow learners and learning disabilities. I can tell you are sincere, gracious, and in need of help is why I do this for you.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

Well we make a good team because I was a teacher and spent 3 years working with only slow learners and learning disabilities. I can tell you are sincere, gracious, and in need of help is why I do this for you.

you remind me very much of one of my dads friends who just keeps on surprising us and who is a really amazing person.

i'm in TX now .....T Minus 6 days on wedding..........but am a bit concerned about something thats happened....my father in law (well soon to be father in law) seemed to drive us to the marrige licencing place very shortly after i arrived.....now on the instructions that i'm looking at today.....well firstly on the forms we filled in at the marrige and licencing building they asked for both mine and hers SS numbers....but i at this point did not have one (still dont but have about 97% of the form filled in).....and on your instructions it says the very first thing i'm meant to do is get a SS number......i was actually doing that right away at 7am today.......we;re actually both learning difficulties....... and i dont think our heads are quite screwed on at the moment....or ever......but yep, i'm quite concerned that maybe that form needed that number....however we did ask a woman and she said it wasn;t important....but of course i'm not really happy with her answer in retrospect...well i wasn;t happy at the time iether......for some reason.

i feel really bad about this actually.

is it a major mistake or....

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.