DeniseD

DS-156 FORM...PLEASE HELP!

8 posts in this topic

Hello VJ Fam. I have a question regarding #31 on the DS-156 Form

In 2008, My fiance applied for the Q-1 visa (International Cultural Exchange) through his University. However he was denied the visa, and he is not sure of the reason as to why he was denied. Also, he mentioned that it was a J-1 Visa (Exchage Visitor) but according to what he told about his reason to travel to the US matched more with a Q-1 Visa. Now I am concerned that on the day of the interview, he will be asked what type of Visa he applied for, and him not having any knowledge as to what type of visa it was. Now I asked him, to go to his University and ask about this visa program that they offered the student at that time. (I am also sure that is not a student visa) Unfortunately he has no record of the application submitted or anything of that nature.

What can I do? I am stuck with this question :(

Also...

I see that some people submit a DS-157 form, however I do not see in his packet anything that has to do with this form, should I submit one anyway since I have seen on this forum that some members have taken it to their interview? Will the IO ask for one?

Thank you everyone for your information and support!

USCIS
06/15/2012- Sent 129-F
06/18/2012- 129-F Application Received at Texas Lockbox
06/21/2012- Email and Text of NOA1
06/25/2012- Hardcopy I-797 received (Vermont it is)
02/08/2013- RFE sad.png
02/25/2013- RFE Received
03/25/2013- NOA 2 (Finally)
04/08/2013- CASE # Assigned and sent to Consulate
05/16/2013- Interview- Approved!!!!!

Broke off relationship sometime late 2013

Placed on AP for 10 months and then withdrew the petition 02/2014….

Living my life day by day….no stress smile.png

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Hello VJ Fam. I have a question regarding #31 on the DS-156 Form

In 2008, My fiance applied for the Q-1 visa (International Cultural Exchange) through his University. However he was denied the visa, and he is not sure of the reason as to why he was denied. Also, he mentioned that it was a J-1 Visa (Exchage Visitor) but according to what he told about his reason to travel to the US matched more with a Q-1 Visa. Now I am concerned that on the day of the interview, he will be asked what type of Visa he applied for, and him not having any knowledge as to what type of visa it was. Now I asked him, to go to his University and ask about this visa program that they offered the student at that time. (I am also sure that is not a student visa) Unfortunately he has no record of the application submitted or anything of that nature.

What can I do? I am stuck with this question sad.png

Also...

I see that some people submit a DS-157 form, however I do not see in his packet anything that has to do with this form, should I submit one anyway since I have seen on this forum that some members have taken it to their interview? Will the IO ask for one?

Thank you everyone for your information and support!

Tell him to be as honest and truthful if he should be asked about the denial. Even if he cannot recall the type of visa he will certainly be able to discuss the circumstances under which he applied. The consulate has the denial on record, so all he has to do is answer any questions they may have. It is really not a big deal.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Chile
Timeline

Tell him to be as honest and truthful if he should be asked about the denial. Even if he cannot recall the type of visa he will certainly be able to discuss the circumstances under which he applied. The consulate has the denial on record, so all he has to do is answer any questions they may have. It is really not a big deal.

I agree with the post above. If they ask about it, be honest. Considering the circumstances surrounding it, it shouldn't be a big deal.

In regards to the DS-157, we were kind of in your situation with that one. We actually received 2 of the same packets from the embassy: One in the mail and one we picked up from the embassy (that in itself is another story). Only one of them had the DS-157 and said to bring it, the other didn't. However, I found on travel.state.gov that immigrating males ages 16-45 need to fill one out for their interview. You'll be able to find it on travel.state.gov if you do some digging. So I would print it out, fill it out, and bring it with you anyway. It's better to be over prepared than under prepared and risk your visa being denied.

8/28/12 - I-129F packet sent to Dallas Lock Box
9/1/12 - Packet Receipt Date
9/5/12 - NOA1 received in mail
2/27/13 - NOA2 approval
3/5/13 - NOA2 hard copy
3/?/13 - NVC Received petition
3/13/13 - Petition sent to Santiago
4/10/13 - Medical Exam

4/29/13 - Interview (APPROVED!!!)

5/14/13 - Passport received

5/21/13 - POE Orlando FL

5/30/13 - WEDDING!!!!!

6/27/13 - AOS Packet sent

7/8/13 - AOS NOA

7/29/13 - RFE dry.png

8/5/13 - Biometrics

8/14/13 - RFE response received

9/4/13 - EAD Approved

9/13/13 - EAD recieved

9/15/13 - got a Social Security #

3/18/14 - potential interview waiver notice

6/2/14 - GREEN CARD APPROVED AND CARD PRODUCTION!!

3/10/16 - Lifting Conditions Packet sent (CSC)

3/14/16 - Case Received

3/19/16 - NOA Received

4/7/16 - Biometrics Appointment

Ok great! Thank you guys so much!!! :)

USCIS
06/15/2012- Sent 129-F
02/08/2013- RFE sad.png
02/25/2013- RFE Received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

I posted my question about DS-156 in a different thread, but received no answer. Maybe somebody here will be able to give me advice on this?

I filled out and printed the form DS-156 about four months ago. Now I noticed on the Embassy's instructions that it should be filled out using capital letters only. I didn't do that. Plus, after I went to the online form I noticed it's a new version and it says previous versions obsolete. What should I do? Should I fill out and print this again?

Well, when I submitted everything for the I-129f, I didn't write everything in capital and nothing was rejected, so I am not sure how accurate is that.

I however would print a new version of the forms just to be on the safe side. Maybe there are few minor changes to them that may be a big deal.

Good luck on your journey :)

USCIS
06/15/2012- Sent 129-F
02/08/2013- RFE sad.png
02/25/2013- RFE Received

I posted my question about DS-156 in a different thread, but received no answer. Maybe somebody here will be able to give me advice on this?

I filled out and printed the form DS-156 about four months ago. Now I noticed on the Embassy's instructions that it should be filled out using capital letters only. I didn't do that. Plus, after I went to the online form I noticed it's a new version and it says previous versions obsolete. What should I do? Should I fill out and print this again?

The new form does not state caps only that I can see.

Mahalo/Salamat!

Steve and Joan
Met on Facebook 2/24/12
Met in person 6/5/12
Second visit 10/2/12
Engaged 10/3/12
NOA10/15/12
Third visit 12/10/12
Joan got her passport! 2/20/13
NOA2 4/24/13
Fourth visit 5/28/13
CFO 5/30/13
Embassy Interview APPROVED 6/6/13

Joan passed through immigration in Hawaii! She's home! 6/13/13

MARRIED 8/24/13

AOS, EAD and AP petitions sent to Chicago via Express Mail

EAD/AP Received 11/13/13

AOS Interview APPROVED 11/26/13

2-year Green Card in hand 12/5/13

ROC (I-751) sent to CSC via USPS Express Mail 8/31/15

ROC check cashed 9/4/15

ROC Biometrics 10/1/15

ROC Approval 4/6/16 (waiting for actual card)

Permanent Green Card Arrived 4/14/16
Naturalization Interview 2/22/17 APPROVED!

Oath Ceremony 3/21/17--Joan is a US Citizen!

Dual Citizenship 7/7/22 Joan is now a Dual US/Filipino Citizen!

Kayak small lagoon crop 10 72 for VJ.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.