11 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Hey so since a check or money order is needed for the I-130 package, and not many people have checks in Russia, will a money order in Russian be acceptable? I am not sure if they'll be able to read it since it will be in Russian, but do you this the U.S. will still accept it?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Yeah I am really confused about doing the money order in Russia. My wife (US citizen) is still here and will be for one more month so we wanted to send the I-130 package now so that we have a bit less time to spend apart, but can't figure out how to do the money order thing here. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. Can western union money transfer thing work at all instead of this money order?

Filed: Timeline

Ok lets clear the confusion up.

1. Please read the instructions to the I-130 form on the uscis website carefully.

2. It says payment must be in US ($) currency if you're sending your petition to the lockboxes (DCF you pay in US dollars or local currency).

3. Checks or money orders must be drawn on a US bank/financial institution.

The instructions is your best guide, and if you follow it strictly you can't go wrong.

Alternatively, I have read some people will mail the package to a family member or trusted friend in the US. The family or friend buys money order from the post office or write a check which is drawn on a bank here in the US, inserts it on top of the package and mail it off.

Iron Sharpen Iron!

Filed: Timeline

That will be too bad. Think outside the box, talk to friends and family.

Hopefully you should find help in getting this bit resolved. One month is too precious time to let go waste. GL!

Iron Sharpen Iron!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Ok lets clear the confusion up.

1. Please read the instructions to the I-130 form on the uscis website carefully.

2. It says payment must be in US ($) currency if you're sending your petition to the lockboxes (DCF you pay in US dollars or local currency).

3. Checks or money orders must be drawn on a US bank/financial institution.

The instructions is your best guide, and if you follow it strictly you can't go wrong.

Alternatively, I have read some people will mail the package to a family member or trusted friend in the US. The family or friend buys money order from the post office or write a check which is drawn on a bank here in the US, inserts it on top of the package and mail it off.

This is the correct answer. There's no way to pay using foreign funds or a foreign financial institution, when mailing petitions to Chicago or Phoenix.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Thanks again for confirming it!

One thing I am still curious about is the money order provided by Western Union, we have them here so I'll probably try going to one and see if it's possible to pay in dollars and make sure everything works as it's supposed to.

Timeline

Thanks again for confirming it!

One thing I am still curious about is the money order provided by Western Union, we have them here so I'll probably try going to one and see if it's possible to pay in dollars and make sure everything works as it's supposed to.

Note the instructions. Western Union would only work if you can buy a money order in US Dollars actually issued by a US bank. That is not generally what Western Union is for. You can pay USCIS directly with Western Union. A US check or money order must be attached to the package of papers. Doing it wrong will waste far more than a month.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Note the instructions. Western Union would only work if you can buy a money order in US Dollars actually issued by a US bank. That is not generally what Western Union is for. You can pay USCIS directly with Western Union. A US check or money order must be attached to the package of papers. Doing it wrong will waste far more than a month.

Oh, sorry, I understand now. Thanks again.

Timeline

Oh, sorry, I understand now. Thanks again.

I meant you cannot pay USCIS directly with Western Union. You must attach a check or money order drawn on a US Bank.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.