kevinandkriss

POE at JKF

13 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hello er one.... So I have a question for anyone who entered the U.S at JFK coming from jamaica, what will happen when I go thru immigration? Will be a long process? And do you know if I will be able to use my degicel phone to contact my husband of my arrival? Or will they have phone I can use?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

Been awhile but I believe you cannot use your phone until after you leave immigration, and picked up your bags. They do not have a phone for you to use. I cannot say if your phone would have service in the US, but if it works then OK. It would be easier if your husband justed waited ( and waited and waited..sorry this can take a bit of time) just outside the immigration area, like everyone else. There is usually a crowd of people waiting for ttheir loved ones. When you get off the plane, just follow the crowd, stand in line for non citizens, present your paperwork, usually take an electronic fingerprint, and then get your bags. If everything is in order its not difficult at all. Depending on how many planes land at the same time, it can take 1-2-3 hours or so.

Edited by Enigma11561

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I am a U.S citizen, however I have gone through JFK from Jamaica. Since I am a US citizen I can not tell you much about the POE process other than you will come into a large room straight off the tarmac. You digicel phone will not work. You can buy a phone card and use a public pay phone after you are processed through immigration. I can tell you NYC has a lot of immigration officers so the line did move quickly. I would say it took me about 30 minutes (off the plane through getting out with my luggage). Good luck!

Timeline

Thanks guys for all your help... I hope its not a long process, I have a late flight, will arrive at 10:50pm so I hope its not crowded

Timeline

Thanks guys for all your help... I hope its not a long process, I have a late flight, will arrive at 10:50pm so I hope its not crowded

Timeline

I just went through POE at JFK on the 17th of April, it was no hassle at all. Took me about 15 minutes Max to get through the immigration process, they were very nice and helpful. They even changed my CR-1 to IR-1, they just pointed me to my bags and I was out. I met a very nice gentleman on the flight who helped me out greatly, he pointed me to where I needed to go. My Digicel phone did not work so I was very polite in asking for a call when I was on the plane. When I got out of the airport the same gentleman waited for me outside and I used his phone to call my husband. All in all it was great! You will be fine.....

Timeline

I just went through POE at JFK on the 17th of April, it was no hassle at all. Took me about 15 minutes Max to get through the immigration process, they were very nice and helpful. They even changed my CR-1 to IR-1, they just pointed me to my bags and I was out. I met a very nice gentleman on the flight who helped me out greatly, he pointed me to where I needed to go. My Digicel phone did not work so I was very polite in asking for a call when I was on the plane. When I got out of the airport the same gentleman waited for me outside and I used his phone to call my husband. All in all it was great! You will be fine.....

Hello er one.... So I have a question for anyone who entered the U.S at JFK coming from jamaica, what will happen when I go thru immigration? Will be a long process? And do you know if I will be able to use my degicel phone to contact my husband of my arrival? Or will they have phone I can use?

Your Digicel wont work except that you sign up for roaming. After you pick up your bags you will proceed to custom after custom you go straight though a big automatic door a lot of people will be standing there with flowers in hand or names written on paper. At that point you can either go left or right.

For my husband and I whenever he is picking me up, I know I should go right, he is right there waiting for me cause he aint standing in that crowd.

And of course if needed you can politely ask someone for a phone call they wont say no.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I actually have a Digicel SIM in my phone which I top up every three months to keep active for when I am in Jamaica (have had the same number since 2008 - prepaid), and I can make calls from here and send text messages using that SIM...

May 20, 2008: Green card approved

N-400

February 22, 2011: Sent N-400 VAWA package

February 23, 2011: FedEx package signed for and delivered

March 15, 2011: Email NOA

March 15, 2011: Check cashed

March 17, 2011: Email re: Fingerprint Notice mailed out

March 18, 2011: NOA received (Notice Date 03/14; Priority Date: 02/23)

March 23, 2011: Biometrics notice received for 03/31

March 31, 2011: Biometrics completed

July 5, 2011: Online status: Now scheduled for interview

July 12, 2011: Received interview letter finally!

August 11, 2011: Interview Date (Garden City) - PASSED!!!

August 15, 2011: In line to be scheduled for Oath

August 16, 2011: Oath scheduled, notice sent

August 20, 2011: Oath notice received

September 15, 2011: Oath ceremony @ 8:30 AM

September 17, 20011: Passport application

September 21, 2011: Passport received

Timeline

If you have a Tri-band phone it should work. If you really want to use it instead of asking someone for a call, make sure you go to a digicel store before you leave Jamaica to ask them to check or help you set up your phone for roaming.

You can call when the plane lands, before you go around to the immigration section or after you have left the immigration section because phone call or use of electronic equipment while you are in that area waiting to be processed.

Petitioner LPR upgraded to USC June 22, 2012
August 22, 2012: case complete
October 18, 2012: Interview (APPROVED)
October 26, 2012: Picked up visa from DHL (delay caused by Sandy)
December 15, 2012: POE Atlanta....................became USC July 2016!!!!

Mothers' Journey (My sister is the petitioner)

September 10, 2013: Sent I-130 (UPS next day service)

September 12, 2013: Received text to confirm delivery

September 16, 2013: Received NOA 1

March 22, 2014: Received NOA 2

April 8, 2014: File Received by NVC

May 26, 2015: Interview (approved)..........now LPR (delays caused by 2 RFE)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.