thirdtimeacharm

Question About Filing The Form I - 134

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

When filing the form I - 134, Affidavit of Support , I am wondering if anyone here has not sent the letter from the bank and just sent a photocopy of the past 12 bank statements ? Also did not send the letter from the employer but instead sent photocopy of all check stubs with photocopy of the past 2 payroll checks ? ..........Thanks ......... Terry...... PS . I also sent 5 years of my IRS 1040 Forms .

Edited by thirdtimeacharm

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I have both a bank letter, two statements, and employer letter, pay stubs, W2 and any other necessary proof. You may not need the two letters, but it's better to be safe than sorry. The more proof you have may mean less questions or concerns in the interview process. My bank letter just stated how much is in checking and savings accounts, when I opened the account and how many deposits i've made in the last year. My employee letter included how long i've been employed, how many hours i work, job description, and salary. Best of luck.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Finland
Timeline

It's my understanding that the employment letter is a must-have. I could be wrong, and I'm sure SOME people have gotten through without it, but since so much depends upon your income and being able to prove that your income is ongoing (not just your past income), the employer letter should state that you are currently employed, thus giving proof that your income will continue. Paystubs don't provide any proof of future income.

As for the bank letter, you need that ONLY if your income is below the poverty level. I am including it, because my income is so variable and although it's good right now, it's been shaky in the past, so I'm using investment/bank accounts as a safeguard. It took literally 5 minutes at a desk in the bank, and they printed it right out for me -- well worth the time, in my opinion. But if you are comfortably and reliably above the poverty line on income, then you don't need the bank letter OR bank statements at all.

Relationship since April 2006

K-1 Visa: I-129F filed November 6, 2012, NOA2 May 17, 2013, Interview and Approval July 24, 2013

POE San Diego, September 13, 2013, Wedding October 25, 2013

AOS filed November 19, 2013, EAD/AP received January 30, 2014, interview and AOS Approval on February 27, 2014.

ROC filed December 3, 2015, NOA1 12/4/15, Biometrics 12/31/15, ROC Approval on June 16, 2016, 10-Year Green Card received June 22, 2016.

N400 filed September 14, 2023, same day acceptance and Biometric Reuse notice, Interview on 2/13/24: Passed and same day oath. ALL DONE WITH USCIS.

No RFE at any stage, thanks to VisaJourney!

Detailed Timeline Below!

Relationship:
2006 April 01: Met online, music site, 2007 February 20: Met in person, Finland, 2007 - 2012 met several times in Finland and California

K-1 Visa:
2012 November 06: Sent I-129F (NOA1 on 11/9/2012)
2013 May 14: Contacted Congressman
2013 May 17: I-129F NOA2 Approved
2013 June 03: NVC Received (NVC left 6/6/13)
2013 June 10: Consulate Received, 2013 June 13: Medical, 2013 June 25: Sent Packet 3/4
2013 July 24: Interview in Helsinki, 2013 July 27: Visa Received
2013 September 13: POE to USA, San Diego

AOS:
2013 October 22: SSN Received
2013 October 25: Wedding, San Marcos, CA
2013 November 19: AOS, AP, EAD sent (NOA 1 on 11/22/13)
2013 December 17: Biometrics, San Marcos, CA, 2013 December 24: Online status changed to Testing/Interview

2014 January 23: Interview notice mailed (for 2/27), 2014 January 24: EAD card production, AP approval (card received 1/30/2014)

2014 February 27: Interview and Approval, GC in production (card received March 6, 2014)

ROC:

2015 December 03: mailed I-751 package

2015 December 04: NOA1 extension letter, 2015 December 31: Biometrics appointment

2016 June 16: Approval - Online status changed to Document Production, mailed 6/20/16

2016 June 22: 10-Year Green Card Received, done with USCIS for a while!

N-400 Citizenship:

2023 September 14: filed N-400 online

2023 September 14: same day acceptance notice and "Biometrics Reuse" notice

2023 December 28: notice of interview scheduled for February 13, 2024

2024 February 13: naturalization interview (five-year rule) passed, same day oath - now a US Citizen and done with USCIS!

Timeline

Thanks Roma Skirsky and Lynkali for your input ! I am not " comfortably " above the income bracket . Also I am employed with a Staffing Agency that has a contract with the Virginia Department Of Transportation at The East River Mountain Tunnel . My pay stubs does show ( along with my IRS 1040 for 2012 ) that I am more or less full time and actually got alot of overtime . Also bank statements show everything ...deposits,debits and also the balance for the past one year . Thanks Again .....Terry

Timeline

It's my understanding that the employment letter is a must-have. I could be wrong, and I'm sure SOME people have gotten through without it, but since so much depends upon your income and being able to prove that your income is ongoing (not just your past income), the employer letter should state that you are currently employed, thus giving proof that your income will continue. Paystubs don't provide any proof of future income.

As for the bank letter, you need that ONLY if your income is below the poverty level. I am including it, because my income is so variable and although it's good right now, it's been shaky in the past, so I'm using investment/bank accounts as a safeguard. It took literally 5 minutes at a desk in the bank, and they printed it right out for me -- well worth the time, in my opinion. But if you are comfortably and reliably above the poverty line on income, then you don't need the bank letter OR bank statements at all.

By any chance did you have to have two years worth of bank statements? I saw some people did, and others haven't mentioned. I have the bank letter which has everything from 2012 to now, and two bank statements from 2013. I'm above the poverty level as of 2012 I'm not sure if I was in 2011 or prior years, but I included the letter either way. Should I provide more bank statements or have the bank include in the letter the previous years as well? Thanks-

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Finland
Timeline

By any chance did you have to have two years worth of bank statements?

We are expecting our NOA2 any day now, so I haven't been through the interview yet. However, I'm planning on showing actual statements for the last 12 months, as well as 1099-R forms (year-end summary of my investments which include balance totals) for the past three years. I would far rather be safe than sorry. I am not providing 24 months of bank statements, though -- 3 years of year-end summary should, I hope, be enough to prove that my assets are very stable.

Relationship since April 2006

K-1 Visa: I-129F filed November 6, 2012, NOA2 May 17, 2013, Interview and Approval July 24, 2013

POE San Diego, September 13, 2013, Wedding October 25, 2013

AOS filed November 19, 2013, EAD/AP received January 30, 2014, interview and AOS Approval on February 27, 2014.

ROC filed December 3, 2015, NOA1 12/4/15, Biometrics 12/31/15, ROC Approval on June 16, 2016, 10-Year Green Card received June 22, 2016.

N400 filed September 14, 2023, same day acceptance and Biometric Reuse notice, Interview on 2/13/24: Passed and same day oath. ALL DONE WITH USCIS.

No RFE at any stage, thanks to VisaJourney!

Detailed Timeline Below!

Relationship:
2006 April 01: Met online, music site, 2007 February 20: Met in person, Finland, 2007 - 2012 met several times in Finland and California

K-1 Visa:
2012 November 06: Sent I-129F (NOA1 on 11/9/2012)
2013 May 14: Contacted Congressman
2013 May 17: I-129F NOA2 Approved
2013 June 03: NVC Received (NVC left 6/6/13)
2013 June 10: Consulate Received, 2013 June 13: Medical, 2013 June 25: Sent Packet 3/4
2013 July 24: Interview in Helsinki, 2013 July 27: Visa Received
2013 September 13: POE to USA, San Diego

AOS:
2013 October 22: SSN Received
2013 October 25: Wedding, San Marcos, CA
2013 November 19: AOS, AP, EAD sent (NOA 1 on 11/22/13)
2013 December 17: Biometrics, San Marcos, CA, 2013 December 24: Online status changed to Testing/Interview

2014 January 23: Interview notice mailed (for 2/27), 2014 January 24: EAD card production, AP approval (card received 1/30/2014)

2014 February 27: Interview and Approval, GC in production (card received March 6, 2014)

ROC:

2015 December 03: mailed I-751 package

2015 December 04: NOA1 extension letter, 2015 December 31: Biometrics appointment

2016 June 16: Approval - Online status changed to Document Production, mailed 6/20/16

2016 June 22: 10-Year Green Card Received, done with USCIS for a while!

N-400 Citizenship:

2023 September 14: filed N-400 online

2023 September 14: same day acceptance notice and "Biometrics Reuse" notice

2023 December 28: notice of interview scheduled for February 13, 2024

2024 February 13: naturalization interview (five-year rule) passed, same day oath - now a US Citizen and done with USCIS!

Timeline

Roma Skirsky ...Actually Item A of the instructions says : A-1 Date Account Opened ....A-2 ..Total amount deposited for the past year; and..A-3 Present balance . Thanks .....Terry

Timeline

Yes for the bank letter, which I have. I just wasn't sure if I needed a bank statement that was from when I first opened the account also? But I don't see anywhere on the form or instructions packet where it's required.

Timeline

Ok. I thought it was a little crazy, but they were comments from 2011 so I wasn't sure if the system was still the same. I have everything that they seem to require I would just like to avoid an RFE, which people were saying happens if they need more proof of something, in most cases it was financial. But i figured they'd only be interested in this years and last years income and taxes etc. I appreciate your help. Best of luck to you both. I'm in the interview part of this process now so feel free to ask any questions!

Filed: Country: Poland
Timeline

How the employment letter will prove that your income will continue? It will prove that you're currently employed and how much you make, but I seriously doubt that any employer will include prediction about your future with the company and guarantee future earnings.

Timeline

It doesn't need to say whether you will have a job in the future or not. It needs to state how long you've been working there for, which if it has been awhile shows job security. As long as you have the job when the approval is being given it shouldn't matter. You'll need a job afterwards obviously, but it's unrealistic for immigration officials to require something like that, especially since employers cannot make such guarantees. You do not need proof of the future, you only need proof of employment and proof that you can support for Fiancé/Family members/Spouse through your assets, life insurance, job, etc. For example the life insurance an assets could be used to support your family if you do lose your job in the future. The employer letter is just valid proof from your employer, and it backs up everything else you've put on the I-134 requiring your work and salary.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.