MariahVine

QUESTION ABOUT POE IN AMERICA

38 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

HI MY HUSBAND AND I HAVE RECIEVED HIS CR-1 VISA IN THE MAIL ABOUT A WEEK AGO! FINALLY!! MY QUESTION IS WHETHER WHEN WE FLY BACK TO AMERICA, DO WE NEED TO BE ON THE SAME FLIGHT... DO I, THE US CITIZEN, NEED TO BE WITH HIM AT THE POE IN AMERICA? THE ONLY REASON I ASK IS BECAUSE I HAVE A RETURN FLIGHT TO AMERICA, MY HUSBAND DOESN'T YET.. BUT IT'S GOING TO BE A LOT CHEAPER IF HE GOES THROUGH A DIFFERENT AIRLINE. WE WOULD GET FLIGHTS ARRIVING INTO AMERICA THE SAME DAY, BUT DO WE NEED TO ENTER AMERICA TOGETHER OR DOES THAT NOT MATTER SINCE HE IS THE IMMIGRANT? THANKS SO MUCH

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

No you do not need to be with him at POE. most beneficiaries travel alone through POE. Please don't use caps, it is considered yelling. Good luck and congrats on the visa!!

As mimolicious stated you don't have to accompany them however be prepared that there are additional processes they do upon arrival with the visas.So while you would zip through immigration the spouse will take a bit longer.

Oct 1st 2012 - Mailed I-130 package to Phoenix
Oct 3rd 2012 - Package delivered
Oct 9th 2012 - NOA 1
Dec 12th 2012 -Case finally visible on USCIS website as initial review
Jan 31st 2013 -Emailed ncsc-customerconnect@uscis.dhs.gov
Feb 6th 2013 - Response that my case was tranferred to the local Jacksonville field office on Nov 19th 2012
Apr 2nd 2013 - Infopass. Found out that there was an RFE dated Dec 19th that I never received.USCIS website never reflected that either.Got a copy of the RFE .Time to make another infopass to drop documents off at local Jacksonville office.

Apr 29th 2013- Dropped off RFE documents at local office

May 7th 2013- Got text that petition was approved.

Timeline

No you do not need to be with him at POE. most beneficiaries travel alone through POE. Please don't use caps, it is considered yelling. Good luck and congrats on the visa!!

Thank you for that information and sorry for using caps, I didn't intend to seem like I was yelling.

Timeline

As mimolicious stated you don't have to accompany them however be prepared that there are additional processes they do upon arrival with the visas.So while you would zip through immigration the spouse will take a bit longer.

What other processes do they do upon arrival? Can you estimate how long it may take? It's not a huge problem because we plan to stay in CA for a few days with friends and then fly to our final destination in the US. Thanks so much for your help!

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

What other processes do they do upon arrival? Can you estimate how long it may take? It's not a huge problem because we plan to stay in CA for a few days with friends and then fly to our final destination in the US. Thanks so much for your help!

Upon arrival you will be taken to secondary inspection. They will collect the package you received from the consulate, endorse your I-551 and process your entry into the US. It should take no more than 1/2 hour, in addition to the waiting time, which depends on how many persons should be ahead of you.

If you want to save some time, upon your arrival go to the line reserved for US Citizens & Residents to avoid the lengthy wait associated with the tourist visa.

Good luck!

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Timeline

Upon arrival you will be taken to secondary inspection. They will collect the package you received from the consulate, endorse your I-551 and process your entry into the US. It should take no more than 1/2 hour, in addition to the waiting time, which depends on how many persons should be ahead of you.

If you want to save some time, upon your arrival go to the line reserved for US Citizens & Residents to avoid the lengthy wait associated with the tourist visa.

Good luck!

So my husband, who has the CR-1, can go to the line reserved for US Citizens and Residents? Guess he will be a resident then, so it should be ok. That's a good tip to know, thanks. May cut down the wait time :-)

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

So my husband, who has the CR-1, can go to the line reserved for US Citizens and Residents? Guess he will be a resident then, so it should be ok. That's a good tip to know, thanks. May cut down the wait time :-)

Absolutely. All his processing will be done at the secondary inspection, so there is no reason for him to wait on the visitors' line only to be sent to secondary anyway, and yes, depending on POE that might save him a couple of hours...

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Yes it does cut down on time.Makes a big difference in some large airports.

Oct 1st 2012 - Mailed I-130 package to Phoenix
Oct 3rd 2012 - Package delivered
Oct 9th 2012 - NOA 1
Dec 12th 2012 -Case finally visible on USCIS website as initial review
Jan 31st 2013 -Emailed ncsc-customerconnect@uscis.dhs.gov
Feb 6th 2013 - Response that my case was tranferred to the local Jacksonville field office on Nov 19th 2012
Apr 2nd 2013 - Infopass. Found out that there was an RFE dated Dec 19th that I never received.USCIS website never reflected that either.Got a copy of the RFE .Time to make another infopass to drop documents off at local Jacksonville office.

Apr 29th 2013- Dropped off RFE documents at local office

May 7th 2013- Got text that petition was approved.

Timeline

Yes it does cut down on time.Makes a big difference in some large airports.

We will be flying into LAX, so anything to cut down on time is great! Thanks!

Absolutely. All his processing will be done at the secondary inspection, so there is no reason for him to wait on the visitors' line only to be sent to secondary anyway, and yes, depending on POE that might save him a couple of hours...

Awesome, thanks so much for helping!

Timeline

You need enter the US before him or at same time - you cannot support him I-864 if not in the country

We will be arriving into America on the same day, just different flights as I have a return ticket to get from Australia to America (my Australian visa expires in May, that is why I have a return ticket to America already) but my husband dosen't as of yet. When we looked online to see if we could get onto the same flight, it would cost us around $700 more than if my husband flew on a different airline. But we would arrive into America the same day, just different times. I just didn't know if I needed to be with him when he went through the POE process with the visa, packet from the Embassy, etc.

HI MY HUSBAND AND I HAVE RECIEVED HIS CR-1 VISA IN THE MAIL ABOUT A WEEK AGO! FINALLY!! MY QUESTION IS WHETHER WHEN WE FLY BACK TO AMERICA, DO WE NEED TO BE ON THE SAME FLIGHT... DO I, THE US CITIZEN, NEED TO BE WITH HIM AT THE POE IN AMERICA? THE ONLY REASON I ASK IS BECAUSE I HAVE A RETURN FLIGHT TO AMERICA, MY HUSBAND DOESN'T YET.. BUT IT'S GOING TO BE A LOT CHEAPER IF HE GOES THROUGH A DIFFERENT AIRLINE. WE WOULD GET FLIGHTS ARRIVING INTO AMERICA THE SAME DAY, BUT DO WE NEED TO ENTER AMERICA TOGETHER OR DOES THAT NOT MATTER SINCE HE IS THE IMMIGRANT? THANKS SO MUCH

Hang on there. If you are residing abroad with your husband, you had to prove that you are re-establishing US domicile and you did sign that you will re-enter US no later than your husband's entry.

If you arrive at US sooner or at the same time as your husband then it's ok. If you arrive later, it will be considered a violation of what you have attested. I would be careful if I were you. The fare saving is not worth the hassle, just travel with your husband just to be safe.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.