elle13

Step-father - proof of relationship? (I-864A)

11 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Hello, would be grateful for anyone's input on this.

My husband is the USC and sponsor for my I-130. As my husband is currently a student, his step-father (who lives in the same house as my husband) kindly agreed to submit an I-864A as a household member.

NVC has "completed the review of this case" but has asked for further missing documents to be presented at the interview proving relationship between the household member (husband's step-father) and the sponsor (husband).

Obviously, my husband's birth certificate will not show his step-father as being his biological father. His stepfather only came into the picture when my husband was about 12 years old. What other documents can be presented? His birth mother's name is on my husband's birth certificate. We then have a marriage certificate between his birth mother and step-father, as well as a couple of old joint tax returns after that where his stepfather and mother list my husband as their dependent. Other than that, we can't think of anything else. There were no formal "adoption-esque" papers in which step-father "officially" takes my husband as his son. My husband never knew his biological father and his step-father is the only father he has ever known. He calls him dad, and was raised by him. In terms of documentary evidence, what can we produce?? Will his stepfather need to provide an affidavit?

Interview date: May 2, 2013
POE: May 2013

Do they claim to file taxes together? If not they probably should have each filed their own I-864.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Do they claim to file taxes together? If not they probably should have each filed their own I-864.

Thanks for your input.

No they do not file taxes together. However the guidance notes for the I-864A doesn't say they need to have filed taxes together. It simply says "a "household member" is: A relative who has the same principal residence as the sponsor and is related to the sponsor as a spouse, adult child, parent, or sibling".

Did I miss something?

Step-father is also willing to file his own I-864 but the "checklist" we got from NVC asked for the proof of relationship to be presented directly at the interview (which has not been scheduled) and not to be sent to NVC. Is it now too late to file stapdad's I-864? Can I bring stepdad's I-864 to the interview and tell them we wish to file a second I-864 in case the I-864A was not appropriate? NVC has already processed the I-864A.

Te exact letter I got is set out below:

NVC has completed the review of this case. However, our review of the I-864, I-864EZ, I-864W or I-864A (if applicable) Affidavit of Support form and supporting documents that you have submitted indicates that there is still some missing documentation.

We are sending you the attached checklist, which indicates which documents are still missing. You should obtain these documents and forward them to the visa applicant so they may be presented at the final interview. The applicant must present all required forms and documents, including the missing items to the Consular officer at the visa interview.

Please pay specific attention to questions marked in the attached I-864, I-864EZ, I-864W or I-864A checklist.

Failure to present the missing items indicated and/or to make the necessary corrections at the visa interview could result in a denial or delay in obtaining a visa for the sponsored applicant.

If you need a new I-864 form, please visit the Department of State website at the following address: www.ImmigrantVisas.state.gov and read the Affidavit of Support (I-864) instructions. From there you can fill out the form online and print it to send to the visa applicant for the interview.

You will be notified when an interview has been set. Do not contact post regarding your interview date until you have been notified.

Checklist for I-864A (filed by STEPFATHER )

NVC has reviewed the financial evidence submitted. However, additional information is required to complete the financial evidence review.

Supporting Documents Missing or Incomplete

[x] You as a household member have not provided proof of your relationship to the sponsor.

Timeline

My husband's stepfather filed an I-864A as he is a parent living in the same address as my husband (the sponsor). My husband filed a zero-income I-864 as he is still a college student and his stepfather was kind enough to agree to filing the I-864A to meet the minimum income requirement.

Now NVC has requested proof of relationship between stepfather and sponsor. What documents can we show? Obviously the stepfather's name will not be on the sponsor's birth certificate as he came into the picture by marrying the sponsor's mother when the sponsor was 10.

Anyone please help? Thanks so much.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Most likely the sponsor's birth certificate (establishing relationship to mother) and the co-sponsor's marriage certificate (establishing relationship between mother and stepfather) should be enough to prove that he is, indeed, his "father".

Myself: US citizen; Husband: German citizen

TransferWise Invitation Link: (first wire transfer is free) https://transferwise.com/u/eec50

(B-2 Journey):

-(then fiance) H-2B work visa application terminated due to qualification difficulties in Aug. 2010.

-(then fiance) B-2 tourist visa denied due to lack of strong ties to Germany in Sept. 2010.
-Third ESTA denied due to his suspiscious visa status on Oct. 15, 2012.
-B-2 tourist visa approved on Nov. 16, 2012!

(IR-1 Journey):

-Extended German residence permit obtained Aug. 23, 2014. (to qualify for DCF)

-Husband's new German passport picked up Aug. 28, 2014. (Old one expires 2015)

-I-130 packet sent to Frankfurt (DCF) Aug. 29, 2014!

-NOA1 issued Sept. 9, 2014 (received Sept.13)

-RFE regarding evidence of bona fide marriage received along with NOA1

-RFE reply packet sent to Frankfurt Sept. 30, 2014

-E-mail response (NOA2) received by USCIS Frankfurt on Oct. 23, 2014 (Petition APPROVED Oct. 20!!!) :dancing:

-Paper NOA2 received in the mail Oct. 29, 2014

-Case number assigned by IV unit Oct. 30, 2014 (Received by email Nov. 3)

-Paper "Packet 3" arrived in mail Nov. 4, 2014

-DS-260 and Document Delivery Registration submitted to Frankfurt Nov. 4, 2014

-Mailed in priority date request found on Packet 3 to IV Unit Nov. 5, 2014

-IV ("Packet 3") package sent to Frankfurt Nov. 17, 2014

-Medical completed by Frankfurt panel physician Nov. 17, 2014

-Received "Packet 4" via e-mail Nov. 20, 2014

-Interview booked for Dec. 3, 2014 (booked Nov. 21, 2014 after email authorization received)
-Visa approved, issued AND picked up by the courier all within 7 hours, Dec. 3, 2014
:dance:

-Visa packet arrived in the mail Dec. 4, 2014

-Visa packet had to be returned to Frankfurt for correction on Immigrant Data Summary sheet (wrong birthplace listed) Dec. 5, 2014

-Corrected visa packet received in the mail Dec. 11, 2014

-$165 Immigrant fee paid Dec. 11, 2014

-POE (through Dublin, Ireland) Jan. 18, 2015

-Registered manually for social security Jan. 27, 2015

-Social security card arrived within 2 weeks after applying in person/green card arrived within 30 days after entering U.S.

kXYGp1.png

Photocopy of marriage certificate between your husband's mother and step father along with photocopy of husband's birth certificate. Just struck me.

I think that would be all they need honestly.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Thank you for your input. If anyone else has any ideas (or have successfully provided evidence that the NVC was happy with) please do chime in.

Sorry about double posting, I posted here before realising I might be better off posting the question in the CR1 forum. Thanks for merging the two.

I actually did send the sponsor's birth certificate (BC) and his mother's subsequent marriage certificate (MC) to show the link between the sponsor and his stepfather. This was in response to a first checklist asking for proof of relationship between stepfather and sponsor for the U-864A. After that I got another checklist requesting other things (police certificates) with no mention of any further problems with the I-864A. Two months later, after I finally submitted a missing police certificate (which was all that was left on the checklist), I get this new checklist asking for proof of relationship between husband and stepfather again. This is why I am worried what I sent them the first time wasn't enough. I hope it's just a mistake on NVC's part and perhaps they just missed the proof of relationship when doing a "final review". I just don't want to be caught off guard during the interview when I was supposed to produce something more than just the BC and MC.

• 2 years later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sri Lanka
Timeline

I am having the same issue can someone tell me so sending parents marriage certificate and my birth certificate eould establish proof that he is my step dad. And one more question since I don't have enough income my step dad is willing to sponsor. Is it just me completing 864 and step dad completing 864a as he lives in my house. And I do not need my mother to fill out anything since she does not work. Would really appreciate someone who knows to respond!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.