Tim and Erin

How do I get photo i.d. to apply for birth certificate

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I didn't really know which forum to post this in, but I figured someone here might know the answer.

This question is really for my mother who is applying for a passport, but does not have a birth certificate. In order to get a birth certificate reissued (old one was lost), she needs to provide a photo i.d. She does not have a driver's license or any other form of photo i.d. other than Ontario Health Card which is not an acceptable photo i.d. Any ideas?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Is she trying to get a Canadian birth certificate?

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

She lives in Ontario but she was born in Quebec. She says they want a photo i.d. in order for her to be issued replacement birth certificate. She has never driven a car, therefore no drivers license. I'm sure she's not the only person who has run into this problem, and I'm sure there must be alternatives to a drivers license.

All of this started when she wanted to apply for a passport to come visit me in the U.S. but she needs that birth certificate in order to apply.

Timeline

Moved from K-1 process forums to regional Canada forums as OP is trying to get information for obtaining a Canadian birth certificate to get a Canadian passport.

You should be able to get more help here with this hopefully.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

Is there an option of an ID card instead of a driver's license put out by the licensing bureau?

Looked up and found this site:

http://www.ontario.ca/government/ontario-photo-card

VeeNDee

April 23, 2013 - AOS interview - Approved!

January 26, 2015 - Mailed off ROC Application

June 30, 2015 - 10 year greencard in hand

January 25, 2016 - N400 Application Mailed

May 11, 2016 - Citizenship Interview + same-day Oath ceremony!

Timeline

Is there an option of an ID card instead of a driver's license put out by the licensing bureau?

Looked up and found this site:

http://www.ontario.ca/government/ontario-photo-card

I had found that already, but one of the things they require is a document proving date of birth which would be the birth certificate she is applying for. :P

have you tried to order online? http://www.etatcivil.gouv.qc.ca/en/services.html

Also has she tried going to a Service Canada location? They should be able to help her figure out how to order her birth certificate.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Actually, it looks like Quebec does accept OHIP cards bearing a photograph as acceptable photo ID:

https://www.canadian...ype=Birth#Faq12

The Directeur de l'état civil applies security measures to ensure that the person applying for a civil status document is

authorized to obtain it. To that end, we require that any applicant (the person requesting the documents) attach to the

application two different documents issued by two separate organizations to establish his or her identity. See list

below for acceptable forms of I.D.

If these two documents are not attached, the application will be returned to you without being processed.

Please ensure you provide a high resolution scan of your I.D., preferably enlarged and lightened in order to ensure

legibility. Simply faxing I.D. often produces poor quality images and are not sufficient.

1. Valid Photo I.D.:

Québec or Ontario health insurance card bearing a photograph

Driver's licence issued by Québec, another Canadian province or a U.S. state (A driver's licence is

accepted as an I.D. only if it is not submitted as proof of home address.)

Canadian or foreign passport

Canadian Citizenship Card (issued since 2002)

U.S. Permanent Resident Card (green card)

Federal immigration documents (IMM 1442)

Official I.D.s for members of the military, police officers or diplomats posted in Canada

Certificate of Indian StatusI.D. card issued by a Canadian province

2. Valid Proof of Home Address:

Driver's licence issued by Québec, another Canadian province or a U.S. state (A driver's licence is accepted as an

I.D. only if it is not submitted as a photo I.D.)

Municipal or school tax bill (no more than one year old)

Government postal correspondence (no more than one year old)

Recent bill from an energy, telephone service or cable provider (no more than three months old)

Construction competency certificate (apprentice or journeyperson)

Hospital card accompanied by health insurance card bearing a photograph

Record of employment or pay slip (no more than three months old)

Home or car insurance certificate or statement(no more than one year old)

School transcript (no more than one year old)

Bank statement (no more than three months old)

Canada Post change of address receipt (no more than three months old)

Can I obtain a Québec Birth Certificate or Copy of an Act of Birth for a birth that occurred a long time ago?

In Quebec,the civil registers of births (baptisms), which date from 1621, were duplicate copies of the church registers. All of

the pre-1900 records can be consulted at each of the nine regional offices of Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec.

Those registers were microfilmed by the Family History Library and are available through that institution.

Records dating from 1900 are in the custody of the Directeur de l'état civil. A general index for births that occurred in the province of

Quebec between 1926 and 1994 was prepared by the Société de généalogie de Québec. It is available on CD-ROM and can be

consulted in many genealogical societies and libraries.

One other question - did your mother ever actually have a birth certificate? She may never have had a birth certificate issued by Quebec. As noted above, Quebec did not provide legal birth certificates until 1994. Births were registered in the various church parishes and the Baptismal Certificate was the accepted 'proof of birth'.

I was born in Quebec in 1955 and my birth was registered through my local church parish when I was baptized. In fact, I got my very first passport at 17 years old with my Baptismal certificate. I didn't actually get a 'birth certificate' until the 90s. So, it is a good possibility that your mother never had an official birth certificate, per se, just some sort of church registration or baptismal certificate as proof of her birth in Quebec. You might want to see if she has anything like that still in her possession and include it in with the request for the birth certificate.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Mom had told me she did have a birth certificate at one time. I did get a message from her earlier today that she will apply for a photo Health Card because she only has an old one with no photo. She will be happy to know that her new card will be accepted as photo i.d.

Thanks for all your research and help! :thumbs: I'll let you know what happens.

Timeline

I was born in Quebec in 1973, and i only have multiple copies of a Baptismal certificate from the churches. However those and my OHIP card were enough to get me my Quebec birth certificate long form for immigration back in 2008 and for my Canadian passport.

Actually, it looks like Quebec does accept OHIP cards bearing a photograph as acceptable photo ID:

https://www.canadian...ype=Birth#Faq12

One other question - did your mother ever actually have a birth certificate? She may never have had a birth certificate issued by Quebec. As noted above, Quebec did not provide legal birth certificates until 1994. Births were registered in the various church parishes and the Baptismal Certificate was the accepted 'proof of birth'.

I was born in Quebec in 1955 and my birth was registered through my local church parish when I was baptized. In fact, I got my very first passport at 17 years old with my Baptismal certificate. I didn't actually get a 'birth certificate' until the 90s. So, it is a good possibility that your mother never had an official birth certificate, per se, just some sort of church registration or baptismal certificate as proof of her birth in Quebec. You might want to see if she has anything like that still in her possession and include it in with the request for the birth certificate.

HWDWm6.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.