GandK

Pre-employment background check

11 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I am wondering if any of you has gone through a pre-employment international background check process and how long did it take?

Specifically, the 3rd party company conducting the background check is "HireRight".

They got terrible reputation and they were even ordered to pay $2.6 millions for multiple FCRA violations last year.

I have been waiting for almost 3 weeks now and they just keep saying my education verification is still pending.

Getting nervous here, although I have nothing to hide but I am worried this would push my start date at work

Anyone has any experience with HireRight?

Thanks

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

My husbands crimina check came back in like 3 days. But they could not verify his egyptian employment history so it did not matter and I think they did 2 of hisbackground checks.

I heard it is usually the social security number being too new to hire fsome foreigners if it comes back invalid

Good Luck

May 24, 2011 NOA1

Sept 11, 2011 NOA2-took 19 days to get case number

Sept 30, 2011 NVC number and IIN received Friday-gotta wait till Monday

Oct 13, 2011 Case Completed- 13 days from receiving case number Took 32 days from NOA2

Nov 30, 2011 Notified of Interview date

January 19, 2012 Interview- 240 days from NOA1

INTERVIEW RESULTS-APPROVED WITH 14 WEEKS AP--but he got his visa in 56 days!!!!!!

PLEASE EDIT YOUR TIMELINE IN YOUR PROFILE SO OTHERS CAN LEARN HOW LONG EACH STEP TAKES IN THIS PROCESS

Filed: Other Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I used worked for bank of america. They does background, criminal and employment checks which result come back like 10 days. in some circumstance , it's could take longer.

Edited by Duy Nguyen

My wife recently had an intensive background check to be hired for a job, plus the standard drug test. Took about two weeks for all the results to come in. The big hold up was getting a police report from her home country. She had a copy of the one she used during the interview, and provided it to them. But they had to obtain their own copy to verify it. They said having the copy my wife provided sped up the process for them. The firm that ran the background check was General Information Services, Inc. Seemed like nice people, I was on the phone with them to clarify some of the requirements they were asking for from my wife. If they're waiting on education verification, maybe you could contact your schools and see what the hold up is?

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Thanks everyone. Got in touch with them again today and they said they have all the information they need and now my background check report is undergoing a quality check.

Hopefully, it will complete next week.

Oh dear Lord. Hire Right is the worst worst worst company to deal with. I have been thru a bg check with them twice and both times left me wanting to tear my hair out. I hope to never deal with them ever again because they are the most incompetent company on Earth.

Here is what you have to watch out with:

- They are REALLY stupid. They can't find anything on their own, and if they do, they get it wrong. You are FAR BETTER OFF giving them all your documentation yourself, rather than expecting them to find it. Which leads me to wonder what they are getting paid for.

- Calling them is a waste of time. They don't speak English and just parrot back to you whatever you say. Useless.

- No matter how many times they tell you that they have "everything they need", 9 times out of 10 you will get that all caps email from them that "FURTHER DOCUMENTATION NEEDED" and it's either something they said they didn't need earlier, or you told them you could not provide and they said it was OK.

- They only accept American documentation. Meaning, that if you worked in a foreign country, they expect you somehow to provide American style documentation for that. Yeah....because all foreign countries issue American style tax forms, apparently.

- They don't call people to verify EVEN IF you give them that person's name and number

Your best bet is to hope the HR person of the company you are hoping to work at with has a brain (rare) and understands how terrible Hire Right is. What I usually do is email that HR person explaining my situation, if there is a problem, and they can usually work it out somehow.

I would honestly gather your education transcripts yourself and send them to Hire Right yourself because there is very little chance they can do it on their own.

Good luck. I feel your pain.

Yeah exactly! I had to provide EVERYTHING to them. All the phone numbers, pay stubs and they even asked for W2 and 1099 from my employers in Denmark which we don't issue documents like that lol.

I wonder what exactly are they paid for because I basically did all the work for them.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

I think mine took 4 to 6 weeks or so. My employer actually let me start working on the condition that I would be terminated if anything showed up in the check that they didn't like. My employer used a different company I think. They were useless too though. They called me asking for phone numbers to previous employers. I could have given them the numbers to a bunch of my friends.

I talked to HR from the company I was offered a job today. She sounded pretty tired of HireRight as well. She asked to to fax over the pay stubs every six month of my last employment and she will clear it out of the way. (It was also a part time student job in a video store, totally irrelevant to the job offer I got now). I should hear back next week.

Just to give you an update. My background check is completed. My education was verified and my employer waived the employment check because it was an irrelevant part-time school job!

Hopefully, I will never ever have to deal with Hire "Right" again...

Just to give you an update. My background check is completed. My education was verified and my employer waived the employment check because it was an irrelevant part-time school job!

Hopefully, I will never ever have to deal with Hire "Right" again...

Congrats! That outfit sounds like a waste of your new employer's money.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.