~Jess~

Where's Wednesday??!

68 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hey!!!! I finally went from GOLD to PLATINUM!!!

:P

Sounds like I am spending too much time here again, hehe!!

Change your member title to something awesome and witty!

Hey, how do you do that? I have a heart now but don't know how to change it!

Noura, If he goes in and can't work, they'll have to pay him workman's comp, right? If he stays home he isn't as likely to get paid. He works for a contractor and they can be pretty fishy about this stuff. Hopefully they'll let him do some really light work and not actually do much today. Yesterday he didn't work after about 10:30 when it happened but they paid him for the whole day. I've seen immigrants get treated pretty lousy when it comes to workman's comp and from what he told me yesterday his employer is about the same as what I've heard. He also found out he makes way less than most of the guys around him so he was pretty pissed about that since he works a lot harder than most of them. He actually had the guts to ask the big boss about it yesterday but the guy was just silent.

Edited by honeyblonde

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hey!!!! I finally went from GOLD to PLATINUM!!!

:P

Sounds like I am spending too much time here again, hehe!!

Change your member title to something awesome and witty!

Hey, how do you do that? I have a heart now but don't know how to change it!

My Controls --> Edit Profile --> Custom Member Title

Abdel got hurt at work yesterday. They were cleaning a silo and the lead man forgot to turn off the fan before he stuck the cleaning rod up in it. The fan shot the rod back out and it smacked Abdel in the arm. If it had hit him straight on it would have impaled him. He had x-rays at the emergency room and got some good pain killers, and was back at work today. His arm is swollen pretty big and there was a small spot where it broke the skin on impact, but no broken bones thank goodness. He said his whole body was pretty shaken up though because when the rod hit him it threw him. What was really terrible - they made him pee for a drug test before they even moved him from the spot, and he wasn't even the one that did something wrong, he was just an innocent bystander. He said he felt like they would have told him "wait, you can't die yet, we have to do the drug test first!" He also said that while he was laying there in the pile of sugar in terrible pain all he could think of was watching our cat die Monday night and thinking that now it was his turn. Needless to say last night was lots of holding and I love yous. There's something about a close call with death that makes you really thankful for the one you love.

What a shocking story. I am so glad he is okay. (F)

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

flavored tobacco...some call it sheesha...or argeeli(not sure how to spell that one lol)

yea my friend spent time in egypt and there they call it sheesha...i guess hubley bubley is the english word for it lol

how many posts do u need for the heart?? i am almost at 600 and was just wonderin

I didn't hear it called hubley bubley until I met a woman from lebanon while I was in Cairo for a dance festival . . . she said "let's go down to the Khan to find a place for hubley bubley" . . . I was going "what??" Here's a pic at the El Fishawi in the Khan el Khallili.DSC00502.jpg

One woman is from Morocco and the other from Lebanon.

Back in the days of hippies (OK, and when you go to head shops now, I think) they called them water pipes (smoking the other tobacco).

Water pipe, shisha, hubley bubley, hookah, nargileh . . . lots of smokin' going on around here!! :P

I've heard "hubbly bubbly" before -- English speakers in the Oman use this term as well. I think it may well be of British origin.... sure sounds like something they'd come up with !

They call it argila or nargila in Palestine and Jordan.... I'm a non-smoker though, so never tried it myself.

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

Abdel got hurt at work yesterday. They were cleaning a silo and the lead man forgot to turn off the fan before he stuck the cleaning rod up in it. The fan shot the rod back out and it smacked Abdel in the arm. If it had hit him straight on it would have impaled him. He had x-rays at the emergency room and got some good pain killers, and was back at work today. His arm is swollen pretty big and there was a small spot where it broke the skin on impact, but no broken bones thank goodness. He said his whole body was pretty shaken up though because when the rod hit him it threw him. What was really terrible - they made him pee for a drug test before they even moved him from the spot, and he wasn't even the one that did something wrong, he was just an innocent bystander. He said he felt like they would have told him "wait, you can't die yet, we have to do the drug test first!" He also said that while he was laying there in the pile of sugar in terrible pain all he could think of was watching our cat die Monday night and thinking that now it was his turn. Needless to say last night was lots of holding and I love yous. There's something about a close call with death that makes you really thankful for the one you love.

What a shocking story. I am so glad he is okay. (F)

Oh my God... what a close call !! Al7amdolillah he was not more seriously injured.

But ####### with the pee test even before giving him emergency medical treatment for his injuries ??? I can't believe they would do such a thing. That really sounds like something OSHA needs to investigate... it would definitely be grounds for a lawsuit if withholding treatment causes further complications.

Glad to know he will be ok. Maybe to leave this job NOW would be a smart idea, even if he doesn't have anything else lined up yet. What would happen if he was seriously hurt ???

(F)

-MK

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
Where is everyone? Come out and play!

I was getting a pedicure, but I'm back now... did you miss me? :P

Met briefly in Baton Rouge, LA Nov. 2003 - not available :(

Met again in Baton Rouge, LA March 25, 2005 - 2 souls feel as 1

Sept 17-Oct 3, 2005 Noura goes to Morocco to meet family & friends of Said (informally engaged)

Daily phonecalls, discover internet chatting w/ video cam - OMG!!!

March 25-April 14, 2006 Noura's 2nd trip to Morocco - formal engagement w/ family

April 24, 2006- mailed in K1 Visa package - TSC

Oct 5, 2006 - Interview SUCCESS

Oct 12, 2006 - Called to pick up visa tomorrow!

Oct. 16, 2006 VISA IN HAND!

Dec. 24, 2006 - Said arrives in NOLA, just in time for the holidaze!

Dec. 31, 2006 - OUR WEDDING!!! Ringing in a New Year as husband & wife!

Jan 8, 2007 - applied for SSN

Jan 15, 2007 - recieved SSN

Feb 6, 2007 - checks cashed for AOS/EAD/AP - YAY!

Feb 8, 2007 - NOA1 on AOS/EAD/AP

Feb 14, 07 - touched EAD/AP

March 8, 07 - Biometrics appt in NOLA

April 17, 07 - AP approved

April 19, 07 - EAD approved

glitter_maker_12_25_2006_00_00_12_97213.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

can you feel your face yet?

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

can you feel your face yet?

:lol::lol: yes, can you? my toes are feeling rather nice as well! :luv:

I did!

What color did you get?

dang! I can't remember the goofy name (OPI, you know) but it's a lovely burgundy w/ gold flecks in it! schmancy!!

Met briefly in Baton Rouge, LA Nov. 2003 - not available :(

Met again in Baton Rouge, LA March 25, 2005 - 2 souls feel as 1

Sept 17-Oct 3, 2005 Noura goes to Morocco to meet family & friends of Said (informally engaged)

Daily phonecalls, discover internet chatting w/ video cam - OMG!!!

March 25-April 14, 2006 Noura's 2nd trip to Morocco - formal engagement w/ family

April 24, 2006- mailed in K1 Visa package - TSC

Oct 5, 2006 - Interview SUCCESS

Oct 12, 2006 - Called to pick up visa tomorrow!

Oct. 16, 2006 VISA IN HAND!

Dec. 24, 2006 - Said arrives in NOLA, just in time for the holidaze!

Dec. 31, 2006 - OUR WEDDING!!! Ringing in a New Year as husband & wife!

Jan 8, 2007 - applied for SSN

Jan 15, 2007 - recieved SSN

Feb 6, 2007 - checks cashed for AOS/EAD/AP - YAY!

Feb 8, 2007 - NOA1 on AOS/EAD/AP

Feb 14, 07 - touched EAD/AP

March 8, 07 - Biometrics appt in NOLA

April 17, 07 - AP approved

April 19, 07 - EAD approved

glitter_maker_12_25_2006_00_00_12_97213.gif

Filed: Timeline

I'm going to have to break down and go get a pedicure one of these days. One of Abdel's friends from ESL class works in the shop at Walmart, and I know he would do a great job, I just have to take the time. As rough as Abdel's work is, he has considered going to school to learn to do nails since many of his Vietnamese friends do it and say it is easy money. We just hate the hours because we would never see each other.

WOM - I agree. I'd love for him to quit this stupid job, but the money is better than most anywhere in Savannah, in spite of the fact that he's making less than a lot of the guys, so he insists on staying. One of the few things I have learned from my past is never to tell a man what to do. I'm not perfect at it still, but in this particular case he just gets mad at me if I try.

As for not being very consistent with OSHA - this part of the country seems to still think that it is above most Federal laws. I was reading a couple of weeks ago about the immigration raids around here and there was a comment that the employers in this state pretty much thought that there was an unspoken agreement between them and immigration that there wouldn't be any questions asked and no raids. Over 136 Mexicans were deported in one recent raid not too far from us, and they just left the wives and kids here. It was horrible to hear about. The women were having to decide to give up their kids to the state or take their American citizen kids to Mexico so they could be with their husbands because they had no way to support their families without their husbands.

What really ticks me off is that it is getting so difficult to get work permits. I have a friend at school who works in the office at her husband's family plumbing company. She filed for work permit renewals for their Mexican employees and they got denied. She said that the amount of proof of hardship the government wanted was insane. They had to show that they couldn't find qualified plumbers for something like a minimum of 90 days and that they had run adds in all newspapers within some insane radius of the area.

Ok, enough of my soapbox. At least Abdel is here legal to work and I have that to be thankful for. I can also be thankful that he is still alive after yesterday. Maybe he'll change his mind soon about this job, who knows.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
I'm going to have to break down and go get a pedicure one of these days. One of Abdel's friends from ESL class works in the shop at Walmart, and I know he would do a great job, I just have to take the time. As rough as Abdel's work is, he has considered going to school to learn to do nails since many of his Vietnamese friends do it and say it is easy money. We just hate the hours because we would never see each other.

WOM - I agree. I'd love for him to quit this stupid job, but the money is better than most anywhere in Savannah, in spite of the fact that he's making less than a lot of the guys, so he insists on staying. One of the few things I have learned from my past is never to tell a man what to do. I'm not perfect at it still, but in this particular case he just gets mad at me if I try.

As for not being very consistent with OSHA - this part of the country seems to still think that it is above most Federal laws. I was reading a couple of weeks ago about the immigration raids around here and there was a comment that the employers in this state pretty much thought that there was an unspoken agreement between them and immigration that there wouldn't be any questions asked and no raids. Over 136 Mexicans were deported in one recent raid not too far from us, and they just left the wives and kids here. It was horrible to hear about. The women were having to decide to give up their kids to the state or take their American citizen kids to Mexico so they could be with their husbands because they had no way to support their families without their husbands.

What really ticks me off is that it is getting so difficult to get work permits. I have a friend at school who works in the office at her husband's family plumbing company. She filed for work permit renewals for their Mexican employees and they got denied. She said that the amount of proof of hardship the government wanted was insane. They had to show that they couldn't find qualified plumbers for something like a minimum of 90 days and that they had run adds in all newspapers within some insane radius of the area.

Ok, enough of my soapbox. At least Abdel is here legal to work and I have that to be thankful for. I can also be thankful that he is still alive after yesterday. Maybe he'll change his mind soon about this job, who knows.

an idea - maybe abdel can train to be a plumber. they make crazy money.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.