~Jess~

Where's Wednesday??!

68 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

What really ticks me off is that it is getting so difficult to get work permits. I have a friend at school who works in the office at her husband's family plumbing company. She filed for work permit renewals for their Mexican employees and they got denied. She said that the amount of proof of hardship the government wanted was insane. They had to show that they couldn't find qualified plumbers for something like a minimum of 90 days and that they had run adds in all newspapers within some insane radius of the area.

Ok, enough of my soapbox. At least Abdel is here legal to work and I have that to be thankful for. I can also be thankful that he is still alive after yesterday. Maybe he'll change his mind soon about this job, who knows.

an idea - maybe abdel can train to be a plumber. they make crazy money.

hmmmm, does this mean he can join the official BC union?? All the plumbers seem to be members. :lol:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

Abdel got hurt at work yesterday. They were cleaning a silo and the lead man forgot to turn off the fan before he stuck the cleaning rod up in it. The fan shot the rod back out and it smacked Abdel in the arm. If it had hit him straight on it would have impaled him. He had x-rays at the emergency room and got some good pain killers, and was back at work today. His arm is swollen pretty big and there was a small spot where it broke the skin on impact, but no broken bones thank goodness. He said his whole body was pretty shaken up though because when the rod hit him it threw him. What was really terrible - they made him pee for a drug test before they even moved him from the spot, and he wasn't even the one that did something wrong, he was just an innocent bystander. He said he felt like they would have told him "wait, you can't die yet, we have to do the drug test first!" He also said that while he was laying there in the pile of sugar in terrible pain all he could think of was watching our cat die Monday night and thinking that now it was his turn. Needless to say last night was lots of holding and I love yous. There's something about a close call with death that makes you really thankful for the one you love.

What a shocking story. I am so glad he is okay. (F)

I am so happy that he is ok. Working in/around silos is one of the most dangerous hazards. I can't tell you how many times I've heard or read about people losing their lives around them. My dad had his shirt sleeve get caught in an auger that was filling a silo and thankfully, he was able to contortion himself to reach the off switch. Otherwise, it would have ripped his arm off in no time at all.

I'm with MK. I'm thinking that OSHA would have a lot to say about this incident. This company may have to change their attitudes toward Federal Regs once OSHA has been notified IMO. The fact that he had to lay there before and wait for a freaking drug test before he could get medical attention has got to be one of the most outrageous things I've ever heard. There are some pretty HEFTY fines that can be implemented to companies that disregard Federal Regs.

I've worked with OSHA Regulations for a loooooooong time and even did some training at NIOSH (National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health). This isn't something to take lightly IMO.

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

Liz, Here is information about Worker's Rights from the Dept. of Labor/OSHA website that gives different avenues that are available for him. I'm sure he is afraid of losing his job if he makes a complaint but there is discrimination protection with OSHA as well.

Filed: Other Country: Lebanon
Timeline

i was out but now im back. 2hrs of smokin. by the time we left her house to come back here the guy she bought her pipe from was closed...bummer. i am hopin to get over there to get one soon. we smoked melon flavored. i think ill stick to my apples lol.

June 11 05-Married George, civil ceremony in New York

May 30 08-Baby Joshua was born

Jan 15-Back to NY we go...

May 10-made decision not to go back overseas.

July 10-filed for divorce

Jan 11-Divorce final

July 11-1st trip to take Josh to see George

Mar 12-2nd trip to take Josh to see George

MfXV.jpg.png

1LR1.jpg.png

Filed: Timeline
Liz, Here is information about Worker's Rights from the Dept. of Labor/OSHA website that gives different avenues that are available for him. I'm sure he is afraid of losing his job if he makes a complaint but there is discrimination protection with OSHA as well.

Thanks so much. I'll show him this link tonight.

Charles, that's a good idea. He helped me with the plumbing when we redid the bathroom and laundry room and he did pretty good. Heck, I learned what I know helping my dad who was a jack-of-all-trades, from having to do it myself, from books, and of course from the wonderful home improvement shows. Right now the holdup is him not having his drivers license. Once we get past that hurdle he'll have a lot more options.

Jess, I agree - I hate melon flavored anything but green apple is usually awesome. I haven't tried the smoking though, that is just something I've never done. I bet my son would love it though if I brought him one of those pipes next time I'm in Morocco. Actually, my sons want to go with us next time we go.

What's the BC union?

Can I just add to the day's discussion that I've been touched today for the second day in a row :D

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
Can I just add to the day's discussion that I've been touched today for the second day in a row :D

:dance::dance: well, there's a bright spot, eh? ;)

Met briefly in Baton Rouge, LA Nov. 2003 - not available :(

Met again in Baton Rouge, LA March 25, 2005 - 2 souls feel as 1

Sept 17-Oct 3, 2005 Noura goes to Morocco to meet family & friends of Said (informally engaged)

Daily phonecalls, discover internet chatting w/ video cam - OMG!!!

March 25-April 14, 2006 Noura's 2nd trip to Morocco - formal engagement w/ family

April 24, 2006- mailed in K1 Visa package - TSC

Oct 5, 2006 - Interview SUCCESS

Oct 12, 2006 - Called to pick up visa tomorrow!

Oct. 16, 2006 VISA IN HAND!

Dec. 24, 2006 - Said arrives in NOLA, just in time for the holidaze!

Dec. 31, 2006 - OUR WEDDING!!! Ringing in a New Year as husband & wife!

Jan 8, 2007 - applied for SSN

Jan 15, 2007 - recieved SSN

Feb 6, 2007 - checks cashed for AOS/EAD/AP - YAY!

Feb 8, 2007 - NOA1 on AOS/EAD/AP

Feb 14, 07 - touched EAD/AP

March 8, 07 - Biometrics appt in NOLA

April 17, 07 - AP approved

April 19, 07 - EAD approved

glitter_maker_12_25_2006_00_00_12_97213.gif

:dance::dance: well, there's a bright spot, eh? ;)

Absolutely, but hard to compete with Plumber's butt crack :lol::lol:

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.