Alaska2012

Financial aid in school

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

So I know I'm not to be a burden of any kind to the government as new in the country. But how is it with financial aid and school? I'm looking at different school options and all the web pages I've been looking on has different calculators for fees and such. On almost all of them they will ask you to fill out different info to apply for financial aid or federal grants and this and that.

Is it okej to apply for that stuff or no? If not we'll just pay all the fees as they are but if I'm allowed to apply i will for sure have a go at it.

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

NVC case numbers March 22nd
My sons AOS and IV bill paid March 23rd (status in progress)
My sons AOS and IV bill shows as paid March 26
My IV bill paid March 26
Both packages sent on March 26
My IV bill shows as paid on March 27th
CC on both cases March 30

Current record holder of fastest through the NVC :D

Medical exam in Stockholm April 13th
Interview on May 16th !!!

POE Anchorage July 12th!! 2012

July 2015 n-400 in the mail

September 2015, interview

October 23rd 2015, Oath ceremony!!!!!​​

I'm not sure about Pell Grant, but for Studen Loan, it's totally ok. If you have a bachelor's degree before from your home country, you won't be qualifed for grant. Have you had a bachelor's degree before?

Edited by polar1979

Timeline

I'm not sure about Pell Grant, but for Studen Loan, it's totally ok. If you have a bachelor's degree before from your home country, you won't be qualifed for grant. Have you had a bachelor's degree before?

Yeah I have a bachelors degree, but my education don't do much for me over here so i gotta go back to school...

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

My IV bill paid March 26

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

Federal financial aid does not count as a means-tested benefit for the purposes of your affidavit of support. Feel free to apply.

07/14/2012: Eloped in Texas Hill Country
08/11/2012: Mailed I-130, I-485, and I-765 to Chicago Lockbox
08/13/2012: Package received by Chicago Lockbox
08/14/2012: Priority Date
08/17/2012: Notice of receipt sent
08/21/2012: Biometrics appointment notice sent
08/27/2012: Walk-in biometrics completed
09/19/2012: Interview scheduled for October 26
10/24/2012: EAD production ordered
10/26/2012: Interview in San Antonio. AOS approved!
11/5/2012: USCIS claims green card delivered, nothing in mailbox.
12/5/2012: Service request filed for non-delivered green card.
12/7/2012: Service request replied to (but not delivered).
1/4/2013: Filed I-90, paid another $450
1/24/2013: Biometrics again...
4/1/2013: First Green Card from November finally arrived...

4/22/2013: Replacement Green Card arrived.

8/9/2014: Filed I-751

8/14/2014: Received NOA for I-751

3/12/2015: ROC Approved!

7/18/2016: Sent in N-400 to Texas lockbox

7/21/2016: N-400 delivered

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Huh? A Swedish BA doesn't work here???? I know someone who went abroad to get a degree because he could do it in only 3 years. And you don't want to be saddled with student loans. Once you have a BA, for most fields you don't need anything else. More degrees won't ensure jobs, but they do guarentee debt.

What field are you trying to get a job in?

Edited by Ippsy Pippsy

Timeline

Federal financial aid does not count as a means-tested benefit for the purposes of your affidavit of support. Feel free to apply.

Huh? A Swedish BA doesn't work here???? I know someone who went abroad to get a degree because he could do it in only 3 years. And you don't want to be saddled with student loans. Once you have a BA, for most fields you don't need anything else. More degrees won't ensure jobs, but they do guarentee debt.What field are you trying to get a job in?

Oh I'm sure a swedish BA in another field would work here but not when it comes to teaching and education. I can use some of it towards a degree here but I need to get my butt back to school. With my BA i can temp or get a teaching assistant job... :wacko:

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

My IV bill paid March 26

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Oh I'm sure a swedish BA in another field would work here but not when it comes to teaching and education. I can use some of it towards a degree here but I need to get my butt back to school. With my BA i can temp or get a teaching assistant job... :wacko:

Ah, OK that makes more sense. So some kind of master's in education or something?

btw I think Pell Grants are really hard to get, you'd have to be dirt poor. Other things are more likely.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.