beck26

higher air fare charge for K1 visa immigrants???

39 posts in this topic

hi everyone! i hope you are all having a good day.

i would just like to ask few things (especially to the manila K1 applicants)

1. i called a travel agency (hoping to catch some cheaper flights) and they asked me if i have an immigrant or non-immigrant visa, i answered "immigrant" since the K1 visa was categorized as such, so they gave me a flight date and a somehow cheap air fare deal for it. (just around $600 +)

then i said "wow, that's good, since i don't want my fiance to worry about the money and i'll take care of it myself" then the travel agency respondent suddenly said that K1 visa have higher visa air fare charges...then they gave me a higher priced ticket! ($800 +) :(

now im back looking for cheaper flights, i need to schedule a flight ASAP since i want to be with my fiance before April 13.

is there really such a thing as higher air charges for K1 petitioned visa travellers?

2. can anyone give me an advice on how to handle the "point of entry" stuff at the airport? my fiance will be there to fetch when i arrive but should i bring anything more documents? (except the yellow envelope thing, passport and CD from St. Luke's medical exam) also if anyone can help me about the process at POE.

i'm sorry if these are dumb questions, i'm just too nervous right now. i'll be leaving outside the country (and will live there) for the first time in my life. though i don't worry about living at US too much since my girl is with me.

thank you very much!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Yeah its the same for everyone.

"Love is like a friendship caught on fire. In the beginning a flame, very pretty, often hot and fierce, but still only light and flickering. As love grows older, our hearts mature and our love becomes as coals, deep-burning and unquenchable." Bruce Lee

2006: Met online and started chatting

July 14, 2010: Officially a couple

November 04, 2010: Finally met in Dubai

November 14, 2010: Engaged

November 17, 2010: Left Dubai to go back to the US

January 2, 2011: Moved back to Dubai

January 6, 2011: Officially got engaged by a priest

April 27, 2011: We're having a baby!

July 7, 2011: Moved back to the states

January 15, 2012: Gave birth to our daughter Madelyn

February 13th, 2013: Sent I-129F

February 14th 2013: I-129f received at Lewisville TX Lock Box

February 20th, 2013: USCIS cashed my check

February 20th, 2013: Received email/text of acceptance of NOA1

February 25th, 2013: Received NOA1 Hard Copy

February 25th, 2013: Alien Registration Number Changed

June 21st, 2013: Case was transferred to Texas

July 30th, 2013: NOA2

00-00-2013 Case forwarded to NVC

00-00-2013 Case forwarded by NVC to US Embassy

00-00-2013 Packet sent

00-00-2013 Interview date set

00-00-2013 Medical

00-00-2013 Interview

00-00-2013 Visa Approved

00-00-2013 US Entry

00-00-2013 Wedding

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

that travel agent just tricked you.... they don't have to know your immigrant status, just sell the airplane ticket. But they know if they are selling the ticket to a person that is not going to come back to her/his country, it mostly likely, he or her are going to buy a ONE WAY ticket, so the agent's commission is lower compare if he sells you a round trip ticket. Dont let them fool you. I remember somebody warned me about this when I was about to move to the US with my k1 visa.

I went to an agency and the travel agent told me that in order to issued me a plane ticket to the US, it needed to be a ROUND trip, that is not allow to anyone to travel to the States with a one way ticket. I was like whhaaaaatttttt?? why? I told him I was legally immigrating to the States and I was not going to paid for a ticket that I was NOT going to use. Thanked God I was aware of this and said to him to sold me a one way ticket or I was leaving to another agency. He ended up selling me the ONE WAY TICKET and a I saved half of the price.

I took my flight with AA and I had ANY kind of issues.

Edited by Andrea&Henry

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

YIRsm4.png   Mi1Gm4.pngTh37m4.png    

2013                                                  2014                                                     2015

fNidm5.png NXDpm4.png    VaECm4.png 

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Price of the plane ticket is based on the seat availability of the flight not the immigrant status. I suggest you book the reservation online and do it on weekdays coz it's less expensive. As far as i know, when i used to work with US Airways it is better to book a flight online on Tuesdays or Wednesdays early morning. :) good luck!

Edited by rmcollins

that travel agent just tricked you.... they don't have to know your immigrant status, just sell the airplane ticket. But they know if they are selling the ticket to a person that is not going to come back to her/his country, it mostly likely, he or her are going to buy a ONE WAY ticket, so the agent's commission is lower compare if he sells you a round trip ticket. Dont let them fool you. I remember somebody warned me about this when I was about to move to the US with my k1 visa.

I went to an agency and the travel agent told me that in order to issued me a plane ticket to the US, it needed to be a ROUND trip, that is not allow to anyone to travel to the States with a one way ticket. I was like whhaaaaatttttt?? why? I told him I was legally immigrating to the States and I was not going to paid for a ticket that I was NOT going to use. Thanked God I was aware of this and said to him to sold me a one way ticket or I was leaving to another agency. He ended up selling me the ONE WAY TICKET and a I saved half of the price.

I took my flight with AA and I had ANY kind of issues.

yeah, it definitely crossed my mind that she was trying to con me. it seemed suspicious to me the moment they asked me about my fiance.

can you advice me about any internet based travel agencies that charge cheap air fares?

also, can you help me what should i do and bring at the POE? thank you very much for your reply.

Price of the plane ticket is based on the seat availability of the flight not the immigrant status. I suggest you book the reservation online and do it at weekdays not weekends coz it is much higher. As far as i know, when i used to work with US Airways it is better to book a flight online on Tuesdays or Wednesdays early morning. :) good luck!

i appreciate your answer! :)

can you give me any advice what should i do and bring at the POE?

Timeline

can anyone give me an advice on how to handle the "point of entry" stuff at the airport? my fiance will be there to fetch when i arrive but should i bring anything more documents? (except the yellow envelope thing, passport and CD from St. Luke's medical exam) also if anyone can help me about the process at POE.

i'm sorry if these are dumb questions, i'm just too nervous right now. i'll be leaving outside the country (and will live there) for the first time in my life. though i don't worry about living at US too much since my girl is with me.

thank you very much!!!

Remember that it's gonna be a while for you to come back to visit your home country, so try to bring all the things you might need. Your personal documents (academic, work, religious, medical, ID, immigrant) should be inside your luggage. You need them here if you want to study or if you have a medical condition etc etc. I brought 5 suitcases not only with my clothes but also with all my personal documents, pictures, some devices, jewelry, even some medicines. BUT THAT'S ANOTHER STORY

:ot2: But while you are at the immigration section you only need your passport and the k1 visa package with you (the yellow envelope). I know how it feels, I also came alone but DON'T WORRY :thumbs: it might take you a few hours to be done, maybe less (depending on how crowded is the immigration room). The immigration officers are gonna ask you for your package, they're gonna open it, check some stuff and remain you to get married within 90 days. After they stamp your passpor you are free to go :)

I strongly suggest you to flight during week days so the airports are not so full of people. But it's a piece of cake....honestly nothing to be scare of! I remember I arrived through Miami on april 20 at 8 pm. By 10 pm I was already with my hubby. I was tired from the flight but handled to look calm and happy.

For me was one of the best days of my life....Imagine yourself running into the arms of your fiance. That was my happy thought that day and what it kept me going through the stress and tiredness. :dance: :dance: :dance:

Edited by Andrea&Henry

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

2013                                                  2014                                                     2015

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

Timeline

You can search for ONE WAY TICKETS through different website and you may find some good deal, for my perspective, buying a round trip ticket is wasting your money.

Try to book the flight on WEEK days, with preference on tuesday, wednesday and thursday. Flying on monday its like doing it on saturday. Those 3 days are the most cheaper also, so you may find so many good deals. like the other vj member just told you.

Another good advice somebody told was try to arrived early in the morning or late at night so the airport is less busy.

Besides your regular luggage, you should carry and carryon luggage so you can keep your most valuable belongings with you. I also brought my chest XRAY but it was never request at the POE.

Edited by Andrea&Henry

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

Remember that it's gonna be a while for you to come back to visit your home country, so try to bring all the things you might need. Your personal documents (academic, work, religious, medical, ID, immigrant) should be inside your luggage. You need them here if you want to study or if you have a medical condition etc etc. I brought 5 suitcases not only with my clothes but also with all my personal documents, pictures, some devices, jewelry, even some medicines. BUT THAT'S ANOTHER STORY

:ot2: But while you are at the immigration section you only need your passport and the k1 visa package with you (the yellow envelope). I know how it feels, I also came alone but DON'T WORRY :thumbs: it might take you a few hours to be done, maybe less (depending on how crowded is the immigration room). The immigration officers are gonna ask you for your package, they're gonna open it, check some stuff and remain you to get married within 90 days. After they stamp your passpor you are free to go :)

I strongly suggest you to flight during week days so the airports are not so full of people. But it's a piece of cake....honestly nothing to be scare of! I remember I arrived through Miami on april 20 at 8 pm. By 10 pm I was already with my hubby. I was tired from the flight but handled to look calm and happy.

For me was one of the best days of my life....Imagine yourself running into the arms of your fiance. That was my happy thought that day and what it kept me going through the stress and tiredness. :dance: :dance: :dance:

that's a relief!!! you made me feel so much better LOL. thank you very much! :) yeah, i miss my girl so much and i can't to marry her. (L):)

You can search for ONE WAY TICKETS through different website and you may find some good deal, for my perspective, buying a round trip ticket is wasting your money.

Try to book the flight on WEEK days, with preference on tuesday, wednesday and thursday. Flying on monday its like doing it on saturday. Those 3 days are the most cheaper also like the other vj member just told you.

Another good advice somebody told was try to arrived early in the morning or late at night so the airport is less busy.

Besides your regular luggage, you should carry and carryon luggage so you can keep your most valuable belongings with you. I also brought my chest XRAY but it was never request at the POE.

i have it all with me (the yellow envelope and medical results) :) i just thought i'd ask since i heard from someone that i should bring our I-129F petition and some visa photos. haha. i appreciate your help :)

Timeline

i have it all with me (the yellow envelope and medical results) :) i just thought i'd ask since i heard from someone that i should bring our I-129F petition and some visa photos. haha. i appreciate your help :)

I did bring my I 129 copy with me but it was in my regular luggage so it wasn't there with me at the POE. I just brought it to have all my documents with me not because I thought I need it at the port of entry. You don't need any of that only your passport and the yellow envelope.

All the things you need are already in that package. But the most important thing is try to relax a little bit. You still have a long trip ahead so u need all energy levels up :) try to sleep during the flight and relax...

Remember that you re coming home, that means happiness and joy. The POE is the same for everybody else only that for you it's gonna take just a lil bit longer, nothing less or more. Is just a simple procedure.

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

Timeline

hi everyone! i hope you are all having a good day.

i would just like to ask few things (especially to the manila K1 applicants)

1. i called a travel agency (hoping to catch some cheaper flights) and they asked me if i have an immigrant or non-immigrant visa, i answered "immigrant" since the K1 visa was categorized as such, so they gave me a flight date and a somehow cheap air fare deal for it. (just around $600 +)

then i said "wow, that's good since i don't want my fiance to worry about the money and i'll take care of it myself" then the travel agency respondent suddenly said that K1 visa have higher visa air fare charges...then they gave me a higher priced ticket! ($800 +) :(

now im back looking for cheaper flights, i need to schedule a flight ASAP since i want to be with my fiance before April 13.

I believe some of the advice and information given to you about the airline pricing is not accurate. I have done some research and have contacted a travel agency in manila that specializes in flights for first time immigrants. Some of the airlines do offer discounted fares from Manila to the states for people immigrating. I will try to find the link to the travel agency and you might want to contact them yourself to get all the details. I don't have the link handy but will try to find it tonight or in the morning and post it here. Good luck to you.

is there really such a thing as higher air charges for K1 petitioned visa travellers?

2. can anyone give me an advice on how to handle the "point of entry" stuff at the airport? my fiance will be there to fetch when i arrive but should i bring anything more documents? (except the yellow envelope thing, passport and CD from St. Luke's medical exam) also if anyone can help me about the process at POE.

thank you very much!!!

Edited by lyricalan

event.png

event.png

Timeline

Well I tried to respond to the OP but something didn't work out. Anyway I believe some of the information you have received is not totally accurate. I have done some research on flights for my fiancee if we ever get approved and there are discounted fares on some airlines for 1st time immigrants. I contacted a travel agency in Manila that works with these airlines and the fares were in the $600 range for my fiancee only. I plan on going to the interview with her and was told my fare would be considerably higher because I am not immigrating. Here's a link if you want to call or email them.

http://www.santraphael.com/home.php

Good luck

event.png

event.png

Well I tried to respond to the OP but something didn't work out. Anyway I believe some of the information you have received is not totally accurate. I have done some research on flights for my fiancee if we ever get approved and there are discounted fares on some airlines for 1st time immigrants. I contacted a travel agency in Manila that works with these airlines and the fares were in the $600 range for my fiancee only. I plan on going to the interview with her and was told my fare would be considerably higher because I am not immigrating. Here's a link if you want to call or email them.

http://www.santraphael.com/home.php

Good luck

gonna try this! thank you very much! :)

Timeline

that's a relief!!! you made me feel so much better LOL. thank you very much! :) yeah, i miss my girl so much and i can't to marry her. (L):)

I want to share something very special, with you

Your welcome! definitely april 20 was one of the happiest day of my life. Even when I was pretty nervous and anxious (I remember that I barely slept the night before), I checked my luggage and documents like thousand times HAHAHA what a psyco. I also picked my the clothes I wear that day very carefully #WhatAPsyco hahaha but I was to make sure everything was ready to the big day but I also promise to myself that I will enjoy the day instead of losing my mind.

I woke up at 7 am, take a bath, made breakfast and I checked everything for the last time. By 1 pm I was ready waiting for my dad in law to picked me up and take to the airport. Once I got there it took me literally 5 min to get my boarding pass and get rid of my 3456 luggage ahahahahahahah. Usually the AA line are always super full but maybe it was still early. The airport was empty. I said goodbye to my dad in law and went to immigration. Once I got there, part of my anxiety was already gone. I was afraid of being late but I was totally ready by 2 pm and my flight was scheduled for 4.20 pm.

I'd the chance to eat, to do some shopping on the duty free, I even got a massage :rofl::dance: (there is a mini spa at the airport), then I skyped a lil bit with my parents before a boarding the plane. By 3.30 pm they were calling my flight. Thank God everything went SO well that we takeoff 30 min earlier so I texted my then fiance to be aware.

From Venezuela to Miami is a short flight only 4 hours. I remember that I read some magazines, slept, play with my phone...I handle the way to kept myself distracted from the anxiety and the boredom. I can explain how beautiful was the sunset that I saw through the airplane ticket. I saw the venezuelan shore, with the sea and this beautiful sunset like if my country was wishing me a good trip. I would never forget that.

In one moment, when I was falling sleep, the airplane started descending, and I heard when I lady told her daughter "Look we are about to land" My godddd I was thrillinggggg! I looked through the window and I saw all the roads and the houses, I literally started crying. I just couldn't help it. I just could think "WE MADEEE IT WE MADE IT". After all the struggle, the waiting, the long days and night apart, those memories were completely vanished from mind in that exact moment. I just knew in my heart that everything was totally worth it.

We landed at 8 pm. was already dark. As soon as we stop, I turned on my husband's old cellphone and text him. we always knew that I was traveling alone, so he brought me an old cellphone when he went with me to the interview. He was happy and texting my family to let them know I was already in the US. I text with him during 15 min until I arrived to the immigration line. He already knew that it will took me few hours before they released me so he was ok so do I. When it was my turn, the immigration officer ask me for my passport, took me a phto, took my finger prints and lead me to the immigration room. I got there by 9 pm.

I read a book while I was waiting cause you are not allow to use any kind of electronic device. There were a few people there from different countries. even when a super social creature hahahahaha somebody adviced me not to talk to anybody, so that's why I did. Like 40 min later a lady from American Airline staff, came to me and she ask me for my luggage tickets, I handle them and she took notes of the numbers. She told me not to worried that my suitcases are outside, waiting for me. That was a huge relief for me. Like 40 min later an officer calm and ask when I was planning to get married and told him that we don't have a date yet but within 90 days. He smiled at me, stamped my passport and said "Welcome to the United States, good luck lady" That was music to my ears.

By the moment it was already 10 pm. I was exhausted, but extremely happy. I started walking to the exit door and find all my suitcases arranged one next to another like waiting for me :), the airport look like a graveyard, it was super super empty. Thank God the last airport staff member who was leaving, saw me struggling trying to climb my super heavy suitcases on the karts, so he helped me :) I walked to the exit and there was my fiance waiting for me. I ran into his arms, forgetting my luggage behind me. We cried, hug and kiss...finally I was home.

That was the first day of our new life together

I hope that sharing my story with you helps you with your anxiety, remember this is one more step.

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.