newmrsvick

How to still shop healthy in the US

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello to everyone!

Just wanted to share a little about my recent experience immigrating from the UK to the US! One of the biggest challenges I personally faced on this side of the big pond, and that I couldn't find much about on the forums yet, was finding sources for healthy food for home cooking etc. in the midst of all the convenience foods and hidden ingredients (think UK processed foods bumped up a bit).

So I figured I'd throw some of my own experiences together in case there are any other foodies/health nuts out there wanting to make sure they still have control over the quality of their food! I know it was a big deal for me! I attached a link below, just to make it easier to compile all the links and info I wanted to share about healthy food shopping US style! I hope someone enjoys and it helps a little!

http://leapacrossthepond.blogspot.com/2013/02/staying-healthy-usa-style-in-body-and.html

Anyway, I hope everyone is having a wonderful day and I wish everyone the best of luck on their awesome immigration adventures!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello to everyone!

Just wanted to share a little about my recent experience immigrating from the UK to the US! One of the biggest challenges I personally faced on this side of the big pond, and that I couldn't find much about on the forums yet, was finding sources for healthy food for home cooking etc. in the midst of all the convenience foods and hidden ingredients (think UK processed foods bumped up a bit).

So I figured I'd throw some of my own experiences together in case there are any other foodies/health nuts out there wanting to make sure they still have control over the quality of their food! I know it was a big deal for me! I attached a link below, just to make it easier to compile all the links and info I wanted to share about healthy food shopping US style! I hope someone enjoys and it helps a little!

http://leapacrossthepond.blogspot.com/2013/02/staying-healthy-usa-style-in-body-and.html

Anyway, I hope everyone is having a wonderful day and I wish everyone the best of luck on their awesome immigration adventures!

We went to Trader Joe's this weekend. Lots of people there and lots of employees constantly stocking the shelves. Fun times and good food.

I am actually the USC but here is what I do.

I eat a lot of ground turkey and use it for hamburgers, mix it with whole wheat pasta and veggies, ect.

I also have a juicing machine so that I can make fresh juice rather then buying concentrate or juice with a bunch of sugar from the stores.

I try and make as much from scratch as possible.

I include a lot of rice and oats in my diet.

If I do eat red meat I always buy the leanest cuts I can. i.e - pork loin, tri tip, etc.

I also eat a lot of chicken breast.

Spicy meat loaf

I replace 1 meal a day on average with a smoothie made with soy/whey protein powder, 2% organic milk, Mixed frozen fruits and berries, maybe some banana's and peanut butter.

With everything I buy I try and make sure it is local grown and produced ethically and organic (as much as one can anyway)

I only use sea salt

I try to avoid white sugar when I can

Deserts -

Rice pudding with coconut milk (made with brown sugar)

Banana bread pudding topped with a little home made caramel

Peach bread

Etc.

Hope someone might find this interesting.

Relationship and I-130 Process

Sometime in October, 2011: We met online talking about Argentina.
Later in October: Met in person in Philadelphia and became good friends.
March 4, 2012: Became girlfriend and boyfriend, officially.
March 21: Gloria leaves the US at the end of her J-1 Visa.
April 9: Got engaged!
May 12-26: Chris visits Buenos Aires.
May 18: Got married in Argentina :) Happy day!!
May 29: Sent out I-130
June 4: NOA1 received.
August 17-20: Chris visits again.
September 22-29: Chris 3rd visit, Gloria's birthday!
November 11-January 5: Chris stays in Argentina almost 2 months, Gloria is happy!
December 28: NOA2 YAY!!!
December 31: Package received at NVC.
January 18, 2013: Got case # and IIN.
February 6: Case complete!!
February 11: Interview assigned.
February 25: Package received at Embassy in Buenos Aires.
March 18: Interview Approved!!
March 28: Visa received.
March 29: Houston POE

April 11: received greencard!!!!!!!

January 9, 2015: sent out form I-751

I was surprised coming from Canada to the US how healthy choice foods weren't as common in grocery stores / walmart and more money. If I want whole grain produce, good produce, vegetarian meat options and such I have to go to specialty stores like Trader Joes/Sprouts/local Farmers Markets.

But yeah, junk food is SOOO cheap here in the US. And the canned meat and vegetable isle is 3 times the size in Canada, most of it stuff I didn't know one could can, with a day or two's worth of sodium!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Many times organic stuff is regular stuff passed off as organic. And you pay more for it

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Many times organic stuff is regular stuff passed off as organic. And you pay more for it

Can it not be organic?

USDA Organic

Relationship and I-130 Process

Sometime in October, 2011: We met online talking about Argentina.
Later in October: Met in person in Philadelphia and became good friends.
March 4, 2012: Became girlfriend and boyfriend, officially.
March 21: Gloria leaves the US at the end of her J-1 Visa.
April 9: Got engaged!
May 12-26: Chris visits Buenos Aires.
May 18: Got married in Argentina :) Happy day!!
May 29: Sent out I-130
June 4: NOA1 received.
August 17-20: Chris visits again.
September 22-29: Chris 3rd visit, Gloria's birthday!
November 11-January 5: Chris stays in Argentina almost 2 months, Gloria is happy!
December 28: NOA2 YAY!!!
December 31: Package received at NVC.
January 18, 2013: Got case # and IIN.
February 6: Case complete!!
February 11: Interview assigned.
February 25: Package received at Embassy in Buenos Aires.
March 18: Interview Approved!!
March 28: Visa received.
March 29: Houston POE

April 11: received greencard!!!!!!!

January 9, 2015: sent out form I-751

Thank you for your post. Eating healthy is a concern for me as well.

For the processed food there is an app for Fooducate. http://www.fooducate.com It grades your item and helps you choose better options.

My daughter & hubby went to Savannah to go shopping last week during a visit. She was so surprised by a walk-up window outside a downtown McDonald’s that she took a picture of it to put on Instagram.

It seems like it’s going to be more work to eat healthy once I move down.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kosova
Timeline

Soy protein and isolated plant proteins are like poison to me, so I've been cooking from scratch for years. I try to stick with food labels with ingredients I can pronounce. My hubby reads all the labels when we shop in Kosovo. I don't eat a lot of meat, and like several of you have mentioned, it must be lean, and not much red meat. But I have no idea where to buy the yogurt they drink over there. I love it. I guess I will need to make it myself. I have only found fruit flavored here. Hubby told me tonight it bothers him to drink milk but he can drink yogurt. My 2 cents, if anyone has a Meijer store they carry non-GMO canned veggies. I bought some just to have on hand in the cupboard.

XMY93gI.jpgXMY9m5.png

AAD1m5.pngThankYouUSA-Kosova.jpg

See my Timeline for details of our visa journey
17-Aug-2011 Our Wedding Day in Kosovo 
07-Nov-2011 Filed I-130
21-Nov-2011 NOA1
23-Aug-2012 NOA2 Approved 276 days
10-Jan-2013 Case complete via email

28-Feb-2013 Interview, result AP
11-Apr-2013 Embassy appointment - VISA APPROVED and issued in 4 hours
30-Apr-2013 POE Chicago O'Hare - He's home!

04-Sep-2014 Moved to northern California

12-Mar-2015 Filed ROC
16-Mar-2015 Documents delivered
18-Mar-2015 Check cashed
19-Mar-2015 NOA1 dated 03/16/2015 received in mail
13-Apr-2015 Biometrics completed
02-Feb-2016 Contacted USCIS about case, was told it's on hold because of security checks (email)
04-Mar-2016 Moved to Wisconsin
12-Aug-2016 New Biometrics appointment
14-Sep-2016 Contacted USCIS again about case (email said we should hear from them by Oct 6)
22-Sep-2016 Letter from USCIS dated 9/20 explaining the Service Request is currently being reviewed by an officer.
22-Sep-2016 Letter from USCIS dated 9/20 with Interview appointment for both of us for 28-Sep-2016
28-Sep-2016 Interview, both of us, separated, not hard, 10 min. each, result---said hubby will get GC in about 10 days
26-Oct-2016 *****STILL WAITING*****
02-Nov-2016 Card is being produced!!!
08-Nov-2016 Card is mailed
10-Nov-2016 Card is Delivered!!!! YAY
CITIZENSHIP: 

Biometrics appointment for 2020-03-27 has been cancelled until further notice as all field offices are closed because of COVID-19.

***NOA dated 12/10/2020 USCIS stated they are able to reuse previous Biometrics***

Interview was easy. My hubby's Oath Ceremony is scheduled for February 25th. I can't watch >sad< but happy he is getting his certificate!

25-FEB-2021 Oath Ceremony! My hubby is a Citizen!

Soy protein and isolated plant proteins are like poison to me, so I've been cooking from scratch for years. I try to stick with food labels with ingredients I can pronounce. My hubby reads all the labels when we shop in Kosovo. I don't eat a lot of meat, and like several of you have mentioned, it must be lean, and not much red meat. But I have no idea where to buy the yogurt they drink over there. I love it. I guess I will need to make it myself. I have only found fruit flavored here. Hubby told me tonight it bothers him to drink milk but he can drink yogurt. My 2 cents, if anyone has a Meijer store they carry non-GMO canned veggies. I bought some just to have on hand in the cupboard.

My husband is lactose intolerant and can't drink regular milk without it tearing his stomach up. But he can also eat yogurt and it actually seems to help.

I did find some decently priced greek yogurt which is a good source of protein if you like it.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

My husband is lactose intolerant and can't drink regular milk without it tearing his stomach up. But he can also eat yogurt and it actually seems to help.

I did find some decently priced greek yogurt which is a good source of protein if you like it.

I'm looking for the yogurt you can drink, but unflavored. It's sold everywhere in Kosovo. It's the land of yogurt there. My mother-in-law, who doesn't speak a word of English, was out shopping with us, hubby was translating. I pointed to the drinkable yogurt and told her I can't buy it here in the USA. She told me (jokingly) she would buy a truckload of it and have it delivered. Then she gave me a big hug. Now I miss Kosovo :(

XMY93gI.jpgXMY9m5.png

07-Nov-2011 Filed I-130
21-Nov-2011 NOA1

12-Mar-2015 Filed ROC
18-Mar-2015 Check cashed
02-Feb-2016 Contacted USCIS about case, was told it's on hold because of security checks (email)
14-Sep-2016 Contacted USCIS again about case (email said we should hear from them by Oct 6)
22-Sep-2016 Letter from USCIS dated 9/20 explaining the Service Request is currently being reviewed by an officer.
22-Sep-2016 Letter from USCIS dated 9/20 with Interview appointment for both of us for 28-Sep-2016
28-Sep-2016 Interview, both of us, separated, not hard, 10 min. each, result---said hubby will get GC in about 10 days
CITIZENSHIP: 

Biometrics appointment for 2020-03-27 has been cancelled until further notice as all field offices are closed because of COVID-19.

***NOA dated 12/10/2020 USCIS stated they are able to reuse previous Biometrics***

Interview was easy. My hubby's Oath Ceremony is scheduled for February 25th. I can't watch >sad< but happy he is getting his certificate!

Timeline

Is it Kefir?

That's the fruit-flavored one I buy here. I don't remember the name of what we bought in Kosovo. Well darn I just googled drinkable yogurt and it says take regular yogurt, add milk and shake :lol: I think I will try that.....right now

XMY93gI.jpgXMY9m5.png

07-Nov-2011 Filed I-130
21-Nov-2011 NOA1

12-Mar-2015 Filed ROC
18-Mar-2015 Check cashed
CITIZENSHIP: 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

I have a similar lactose problem. I eat yogurt and it helps a lot. It's because of the pro-biotics in it. I also take Lactobacillus acidophilus, another pro-biotic. It does me a world of good.

Timeline

Ok, I tried it. I took some yogurt, added milk and mixed it up real good. I think it's promising. For hubby I would buy regular yogurt, not fat free like I eat. I wonder if letting it sit in the refrigerator overnight would culture the added milk so it wouldn't cause problems? Or maybe I should buy really rich yogurt and add water? Just wondering.....

XMY93gI.jpgXMY9m5.png

07-Nov-2011 Filed I-130
21-Nov-2011 NOA1

12-Mar-2015 Filed ROC
18-Mar-2015 Check cashed
CITIZENSHIP: 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.